PDA

View Full Version : More wool

Grant McLean
09-07-2006, 09:52 AM
I received a copy of the fall Colorado Cyclist catalog in the mail yesterday,
and noticed the new Campagnolo merino wool jerseys, and thought maybe
some folks here might think they are neat.

http://www.campagnolo.com/apparel.php?gid=11&cid=2&pid=359

g

Ginger
09-07-2006, 09:55 AM
buttons...they have a zipper *and* buttons. :)

davids
09-07-2006, 10:00 AM
I noticed those, and they're beautiful.

But this is the one that jumped out at me:

http://www.nashbar.com/nashbar_photos/medium/AA-CLMJ.gif

Check them out here (http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=&subcategory=&brand=0315&sku=17452&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop%20by%20Brand:%20Canari). Any reason that I shouldn't snap this up for $70?

fiamme red
09-07-2006, 10:02 AM
Any reason that I shouldn't snap this up for $70?FYI, it's not 100% wool.

Grant McLean
09-07-2006, 10:15 AM
Nice woolistic retro ones too.

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/common/products/displayproductlist_v2.cfm?CI=1,259,403&StartRow=25&CGRFNBR=403&CRPCGNBR=403

g

Ginger
09-07-2006, 10:19 AM
What's so bad about "not 100% wool?"
Or are you just referring to the price?

That means it won't bag out like the all wool jerseys...and are more likely (but not necessarily so) to survive the washing machine (but never the dryer) Sure there are some drawbacks, and some of the % wool jerseys can be itchy 'cause they use shorter staple in the yarn...but any wool is good wool.

(We had a herd of 90 wool sheep on the farm. I still spin and weave 100% wool...)

Now I don't know if that will make them a % stinkier than a 100% wool jersey... :)

fiamme red
09-07-2006, 10:51 AM
What's so bad about "not 100% wool?"
Or are you just referring to the price?

That means it won't bag out like the all wool jerseys...and are more likely (but not necessarily so) to survive the washing machine (but never the dryer) Sure there are some drawbacks, and some of the % wool jerseys can be itchy 'cause they use shorter staple in the yarn...but any wool is good wool.

(We had a herd of 90 wool sheep on the farm. I still spin and weave 100% wool...)

Now I don't know if that will make them a % stinkier than a 100% wool jersey... :)I have a few 50% wool, 50% acrylic jerseys. They don't stretch as much as 100% jerseys, which can be a good thing, if you load the rear pockets with stuff. But they do stink a lot more than 100% wool jerseys.

93legendti
09-07-2006, 11:27 AM
...But they do stink a lot more than 100% wool jerseys.
Bingo. That's why I stopped buying Canari "wool".

catulle
09-07-2006, 12:23 PM
I like my Rapha Merino wool sweater a lot. My daughter likes hers a lot too. And the size is just right for me. I wish I could get one just like it with a Campagnolo logo.

93legendti
09-07-2006, 12:29 PM
http://www.rivbike.com/webalog/clothing/22358.html

davids
09-07-2006, 12:37 PM
I have a few 50% wool, 50% acrylic jerseys. They don't stretch as much as 100% jerseys, which can be a good thing, if you load the rear pockets with stuff. But they do stink a lot more than 100% wool jerseys.
I don't care about the stink - I wash 'em after each use. I'm more interested in the wicking and temperature-management characteristics of wool. If a 50/50 blend preserves those, I'm in.

...and if Canari makes a quality product. Any info there?

bironi
09-07-2006, 01:32 PM
Don't forget Swobo is back.
http://www.swobo.com/product_m.aspx?l=00010001000000000000&p=SWB01700&pn=1#
I'm still wearing their long sleeve wool jerseys from years ago.

znfdl
09-07-2006, 02:49 PM
I ordered two of the woolistic retro jerseys, I will give a report.

Allez!
09-07-2006, 04:33 PM
I love wool & retro but, the Swobo jersey colors - earth brown and a muted green are 1 step away from camouflage - unless these are intended for mountain biking only seem a bad choice (though very earthy).

72gmc
09-07-2006, 05:20 PM
i have exactly one canari item: an old, red, synthetic short sleeve jersey. i've worn the heck out of it and after several years it's just starting to pop seams. aside from durability, though, i wouldn't buy another canari. the jersey is the right size, but the rear pockets have always been saggy saggy with just a bit of stuff in 'em... a small cell phone or a set of keys, they're down over your butt. the collar has always been as substantial as soggy cereal, so unzipping is always a two-handed (or stylishly grab with the teeth) affair. little quality details that are handled by cheap jerseys from performance and excel are lacking. for what it's worth.

Rapid Tourist
09-07-2006, 08:46 PM
I thought this looked pretty nice.

http://www.boure.com/8654.html

Lincoln
09-07-2006, 09:03 PM
I got one a couple of weeks ago. It seems very nice, haven't had occasion to wear it on a ride yet.

BillyBear
09-07-2006, 10:08 PM
I have 3 of these...They are awesome....

MartyE
09-08-2006, 08:05 AM
Don't forget Ibex (http://www.ibexwear.com/) they
have some nice jerseys at reasonable prices

http://www.ibexwear.com/Photos/S06/1045_7337.jpg
nothing flashy, doesn't advertize great teams of the past but
it does the job at a reasonable price.

marty

H1449-6
09-08-2006, 08:29 AM
I thought this looked pretty nice.

http://www.boure.com/8654.html

Just ordered one. Great looking jersey. I needed to get some new winter wardrobe that isn't 90s purple and blue.

davids
09-08-2006, 09:24 AM
i have exactly one canari item: an old, red, synthetic short sleeve jersey. i've worn the heck out of it and after several years it's just starting to pop seams. aside from durability, though, i wouldn't buy another canari. the jersey is the right size, but the rear pockets have always been saggy saggy with just a bit of stuff in 'em... a small cell phone or a set of keys, they're down over your butt. the collar has always been as substantial as soggy cereal, so unzipping is always a two-handed (or stylishly grab with the teeth) affair. little quality details that are handled by cheap jerseys from performance and excel are lacking. for what it's worth.
Thanks - That's the kind of info I was looking for. You saved me $70!

I'll stick with Ibex or Woolistic.

gdw
09-08-2006, 10:41 AM
+1 Ibex isn't flashy but offers some great products.

BdaGhisallo
09-08-2006, 11:49 AM
With all the talk about wool jerseys, how about base layers? I have been using skin200 and bodyfit260 layers from www.icebreaker.com They are lovely. Great on the bike and I even use them as undershirts under a buttondown. Nice and warm and cosy!

93legendti
09-08-2006, 01:39 PM
With all the talk about wool jerseys, how about base layers? I have been using skin200 and bodyfit260 layers from www.icebreaker.com They are lovely. Great on the bike and I even use them as undershirts under a buttondown. Nice and warm and cosy!

http://www.rivbike.com/webalog/clothing/22343.html

Ti Designs
09-09-2006, 03:13 AM
Once again, if I hold onto things long enough they come back in style. When lycra came around I couldn't give away all those wool jerseys, now they're the hot ticket. And who needs retro, I've got original. Pink has come around too, so those pink Paris Sport jerseys I have should be all the rage. One little problem, I weighed 120 pounds back then, I'm 160 now. I hear that old guys stuffing themselves into retro jerseys is in fashion, no???

Nobody has more wool than John Allis. Riding with him is always interesting 'cause he'll show up with some 30 year old wool jersey he won in some race in France, or the wool team jersey from the CRCofA back before we had a national team. I can always tell a retro jersey from the real thing, the pockets are on the wrong side and the moth holes are missing.

KJMUNC
09-09-2006, 03:06 PM
These guys make the closest thing to truly old-school replicas.....

http://www.trad-tex.com/Trad-Tex/trad-tex2.html

gt6267a
09-09-2006, 07:29 PM
I saw the wool campy jersey as well as few days ago. I kept trying to add it to my order and got really frustrated thinking their website is messed up or maybe it was something personal, the Colorado cyclist site hated me and did not think I was worthy of the jersey. It took a while, but I finally realized it is back ordered. Oh well, I will receive it someday?

My cycling clothing is years old and in need of updating. Threads from this website are costing me a few heads of cabbage but I am enjoying it. From another thread, I picked up the etxeondo bib shorts. While I only have one ride on them, they seem great. I have been interested in wool jerseys for a while so I picked up one from swobo and another from ibex. I am looking forward to the new toys.

Thank you for the recommendations.

DRZRM
09-10-2006, 08:28 AM
as base layers. I also love my smartwool everything, socks, zip neck undershirts, long sleeved tees, I just wish they'd put some pockets on something and make a cycling shirt. The great thing about both is that they are dryer safe, I run in these tops all winter long, and the smartwool legging are fantastic for riding too.

93legendti
09-10-2006, 09:10 AM
I see Ibex has a few jackets that look good, can anyone suggest other good winter, wool based jackets...I hate wearing wool base layers in the winter only to have my poly jacket stink after a ride...

Ray
09-10-2006, 09:58 AM
I have a few 50% wool, 50% acrylic jerseys. They don't stretch as much as 100% jerseys, which can be a good thing, if you load the rear pockets with stuff. But they do stink a lot more than 100% wool jerseys.

Can those of you with Rapha jerseys comment on how the stink compares to a typical all-wool jersey and too a typical all plastic jersey? I'm thinking of getting one (which will probably lead to 2 or 3 if I like them as much as I probably will), but I don't have a sense of smell so I'm hyper sensitive about getting jerseys with the least stink possible (since I can never tell whether they smell or not and I'd rather not empty the room and not know why). I tend to stick with all wool for a lot of riding and I know (from the reaction of my highly nose-full wife and daughters) that I can go at least 2-3 rides between washing without any reaction at all. I can get yelled at as soon as I walk in the house after riding in a plastic jersey. Where do the Rapha's fall in this stink spectrum? Do you wash them after every ride or can you get away with less frequent washing?

TIA,

-Ray

tbushnel
09-10-2006, 10:22 AM
From another thread, I picked up the etxeondo bib shorts. While I only have one ride on them, they seem great.

I would love to hear about your further impressions about these. I made a mental note to pick up a pair soon to give em a try.
Cheers,
ted

93legendti
09-10-2006, 10:51 AM
Can those of you with Rapha jerseys comment on how the stink compares to a typical all-wool jersey and too a typical all plastic jersey? I'm thinking of getting one (which will probably lead to 2 or 3 if I like them as much as I probably will), but I don't have a sense of smell so I'm hyper sensitive about getting jerseys with the least stink possible (since I can never tell whether they smell or not and I'd rather not empty the room and not know why). I tend to stick with all wool for a lot of riding and I know (from the reaction of my highly nose-full wife and daughters) that I can go at least 2-3 rides between washing without any reaction at all. I can get yelled at as soon as I walk in the house after riding in a plastic jersey. Where do the Rapha's fall in this stink spectrum? Do you wash them after every ride or can you get away with less frequent washing?

TIA,

-Ray

I have a Canari semi wool jersey--it stinks after a ride. My 100% wool jerseys don't stink after a ride.

gt6267a
09-10-2006, 09:06 PM
I would love to hear about your further impressions about these. I made a mental note to pick up a pair soon to give em a try.
Cheers,
ted

I only have two rides wearing them, so this is not a long term review, but a few thoughts. I had them out for about 20 miles of mtn biking today and continue to enjoy these bib shorts. The pad feels really nice.

For comparison, I washed and hung to dry a fairly new pair of Pearl I bib shorts and the EO bib shorts yesterday. The PI shorts pad was dry faster and in practice seems to wick better. That said, the PI shorts feel like plastic especially the pad. With the PI shorts, I feel them moving against me. In contrast, the EO pad is really soft and feels great. Once riding, they disappear. What else is there to say?

For both the PI and EO bib shorts, the lycra around the legs and chest is nice though the EO lycra is softer. The shoulder straps on the EO shorts are wide and soft. The PI shoulder straps are a little rougher and sometimes bother my nipples. I did not have this problem with the EO straps. Like I said, once I started riding, I never noticed them again.

My plan is to purchase another pair or two. Hopefully this helps, if you have additional questions please let me know.

Thanks and regards,
Keith

Birddog
09-11-2006, 10:25 AM
I'm a little late to this discussion but over the weekend I tried on a PI "wool" LS jersey. The fit was good, the zippers functioned well, and the pockets seemed to be well thought out, BUT it made me itch like crazy in a matter of seconds. I took it off and was wondering to myself why it bothered me so much so I looked at the ingredients tag to see if there was some sign. Sure enough, I think they called it "sportwool" not positive about that, but it was 50/50 acrylic/wool as I recall, and the key I think, is that it was not Merino wool. I have wool arm and leg warmers that I absolutely love, and they do not itch, but that jersey was instant hell. I now realize that I will have to have either Merino or Smartwool.

93Legend and others, I have an Ibex Neve jacket that is not cycling specific, but works pretty well. They have another one shown on their website that looks like it might function even better for cycling, cant remember the name though. The tail on the Neve could be a little longer for cycling, but it still woirks O, and in a pinch, it can be rolled up to barely fit in a jersey pocket if you overheat.

Birddog

Too Tall
09-11-2006, 12:38 PM
Where are youz cats shopping for Rapha?

Lincoln
09-11-2006, 02:41 PM
Direct from the source. Delivery has been quick (<1 week). I paid an extra couple of bucks for the faster option.

Too Tall
09-11-2006, 07:11 PM
I really hate you...all youz. This is painful. The Rapha looks great and it will not fit my freakish bod. Boo hoo. Oh cr@p....calling Boure' now.

shoe
09-12-2006, 11:10 AM
too tall - this world wasn't meant for giants...sorry dude...i just did a century in my rapha jersey and i felt a bit itchy a day after...and then swollen about the circumference of a soft ball...oh wait - that was because i tried to fix my bike under a wasps nest on the side of the road. man those buggers have a sting to them...dave

znfdl
09-12-2006, 11:30 AM
Last week I received two of the woolistic jersey's and they seem quite nice. Still alittle bit too warm for me to wear, but should be soon. The graphics on the woolistic jerseys are knitted rather than a label, stitching etc.

I also got a set of defeet wool arm warmers and knee warmers, should be good wooly fall.

BarryG
09-12-2006, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by 72gmc
i have exactly one canari item: an old, red, synthetic short sleeve jersey. i've worn the heck out of it and after several years it's just starting to pop seams. aside from durability, though, i wouldn't buy another canari. the jersey is the right size, but the rear pockets have always been saggy saggy with just a bit of stuff in 'em...

Thanks - That's the kind of info I was looking for. You saved me $70!Wow, not my experience at all with 2 Canari jerseys which I regularly wear. Maybe they do make some crappy stuff, but they definitely make some nice stuff as well.

72gmc
09-12-2006, 11:52 AM
Wow, not my experience at all with 2 Canari jerseys which I regularly wear. Maybe they do make some crappy stuff, but they definitely make some nice stuff as well.

glad your canari experience is better. i'm sure mine is a cheapie (it was a gift).

Lincoln
09-12-2006, 04:42 PM
I really hate you...all youz. This is painful. The Rapha looks great and it will not fit my freakish bod. Boo hoo. Oh cr@p....calling Boure' now.

TT,

What about Rapha's XXL? I'm tall (but not TooTall--6'2") and thin but with broader than average shoulders and I find that most plastic jerseys in an XL kinda fit me but tend to be a little short and too tight in the shoulders (so the sleeves ride up my arms). The Rapha XL (club) is a nice fit, comfortable shoulders and plenty long enough especially in the back. You may find that an XXl works?

I just had to return some very nice Boure shorts because they don't have a size that works for me. Which surprised me since I'm a hard fit for jerseys but easy for shorts.

djg
11-07-2006, 06:52 AM
I saw some merino wool jerseys from Portland cyclewear being sold by the mfg on fleabay last night--limited choices, but I picked up a long sleeved trainer on buy-it-now for 39.95.

itsalldark
11-08-2006, 07:10 PM
Rapha--fit very small, but well built and nice features. Swobo---they are back and very nice. I still own some of there original jerseys which seem to be a little nicer. I do have one of the new ones and it is thinner, for better or worse. Woolistic---great retro jerseys with lots of style, which you pay for. I also own a really nice merino wool Seven jersey which may be my favorite!!

ERDR
11-08-2006, 07:30 PM
i have a woolistic jersey from city cycle, i think they make the new 7 model too. it is very nice, fits well and, for wool, is fairly odor free. i have one of the original 7 woolies from castelli too. both are very nice. my boure shrunk into barbie doll clothes, despite hand washing.
i got a semi-wool canari from a friend. team issue with a retro chest band. looks great but sags alot, is hot and doesn't breathe at all. it doesn't really wick, it just makes you sweaty and wet. costs alot less than a nice merino.
my feeling, if you want wool (which in the mid-west is a must), pony up for the good stuff or go synthetic.
on a side note. i just got one of the the new pearl izumi wool blends and it is very nice.
s.

ERDR
11-08-2006, 07:36 PM
hey you rapha guys. i am intrigued by their line. i am 5'11 but weigh 190 with a 46" chest. can i fit into any of their jerseys? i'd hate to deal with buying from abroad and have to ship it back, maybe more than once to get a proper fit. sounds like a pain. but their stuff is sooo cool.
s.

catulle
11-08-2006, 07:51 PM
hey you rapha guys. i am intrigued by their line. i am 5'11 but weigh 190 with a 46" chest. can i fit into any of their jerseys? i'd hate to deal with buying from abroad and have to ship it back, maybe more than once to get a proper fit. sounds like a pain. but their stuff is sooo cool.
s.

The Rapha stuff is extraordinary. However, their sizes run small. To add sadness to the story, they just made my favorite sweater (the Merino training top) smaller; that is, the fit is a bit tighter and longer now. I was looking forward to the new colors but I think I'll pass. My Merino shirt fits pretty tight too, and it is an XL (my chest is 44" and I'm 5'10"). I think they ought to have some sizes better fitted for people other than Rasmussen, atmo. I exaggerate, of course, but your concern is valid.