PDA

View Full Version : ot: my new ride

xlbs
09-07-2006, 09:39 AM
This is my latest ride: 1971 Karmann Ghia, 22,194 original miles...

pic25874.jpg

Keith A
09-07-2006, 09:45 AM
Wow...22,194 original miles...good find!

xlbs
09-07-2006, 09:55 AM
It took me 3 years of chatting to a very pleasant older woman who used to park this car outside my office while doing her grocery shopping. She's finally quit driving altogether, and I got first dibs...

She bought it new from the dealership where I bought my Jetta TDI last year. The man who sold it to her remembers the sale, 35 years ago...small towns are wonderful places, and old cars are too.

Grant McLean
09-07-2006, 10:05 AM
It took me 3 years of chatting to a very pleasant older woman who used to park this car outside my office while doing her grocery shopping. She's finally quit driving altogether, and I got first dibs...

She bought it new from the dealership where I bought my Jetta TDI last year. The man who sold it to her remembers the sale, 35 years ago...small towns are wonderful places, and old cars are too.

Ian,

I bought my Team Raleigh in a similar way. A pal from England had the bike,
in completely original condition, (I don't think he ever really rode it), so it just rested in his basement since '82. I finally got it from him, and all I really had
to do was polish it up, and replace the hoods and tires.

It's the same red as your car, and would look great on a vintage roof rack!

g

xlbs
09-07-2006, 10:09 AM
Grant,

Funny how those long-term conversations net a prize.

I'm not sure about a vintage roof rack. That paint's pristine!

Perhaps we'll have to do a rendezvous somewhere east of Toronto: we can do a photo-op for the phorum with matching vintage red vehicles in front of a white garage door!

musgravecycles
09-07-2006, 10:15 AM
Beautiful car and great story... I am in the process of trying to buy a 69 bug from a friend with 35,000 original miles...

alancw3
09-07-2006, 10:19 AM
had a 1965 convertible. what a great car! wish i had never sold it. good luck with the new ride. very underrated automobile.

Tom
09-07-2006, 10:25 AM
Wow. That's beautiful. Everybody has <that> car. My wife's is a mid-sixties Mustang, preferably red, but for me it's always been a Karmann Ghia. Nice job, you're a lucky guy.

xlbs
09-07-2006, 10:50 AM
a great yet under-rated car. I owned a '72 when I was in university, but I had to sell it to finance my grad degree.

This car was a more like a gift than a purchase in the nicest way. The woman who sold it to me admitted that it was an adoption more than a sale for her. I consider myself very lucky indeed.

Good luck on buying that convertible bug.

I.

Ginger
09-07-2006, 11:10 AM
Are you planning on picking up the previous owner on some sunny day and taking her for a ride to get her groceries?

Frustration
09-07-2006, 11:15 AM
Too Funny.

I had someone hand me a signed team motorola jersey kinda the same way. The guy was an exec with Motorola and said he got it and stuffed it in a box years ago and after listening to me talk cycling, he knew it would have a good home some place other than Ebay...

Great car. My first girlfriend had one way back. Looks like you got the origional "only driven by an elderly lady to church" cars! :banana:

xlbs
09-07-2006, 11:22 AM
stories really do come true sometimes. Ginger, I think that she's really happy driving around with her daughter and grandchildren. Her new home overlooks a lake, and her family surround her with love and attention, so I doubt very much that she lacks drivers or attention...Nevertheless, I intend to make the offer!

OldDog
09-07-2006, 12:21 PM
a friend who is an estate attorney got a call from a lady whose husband died, she needed asistance cleaning up loose ends. When he was done she advised (and he already knew) she had little to pay his fees. She asked him to come with her to her garage where she offered to settle payment with an old car. A 1958 mint corvette. Somewhere around 3K miles. Even deal. His jaw dropped. Being pretty comfortable financally, and just a swell guy to boot, he bought the car for low fair value. She got some jingle in her pocket, he got a car he lusted for since youth and a good feeling of helping out an old lady.

He does not fetch groceries but does take her for a ride now and then.

I know a 80ish yo guy with two '72 mint Grandis/Record bikes...

xlbs
09-07-2006, 12:40 PM
That's a great story. Warms my heart.

My father's cousin once found a very well preserved old tractor in a farmer's shed. After long hours of breezy chatting, he finally convinced the farmer to sell. Before he was able to get that old thing out of the shed, he had to cut down an 8 inch diameter tree that blocked the exit doors...

I have lots of elderly clients who have "treasures" of all sorts. I'm not really an acquisitive person, but if I were there are clocks, cars, boats, , WW2 memorabilia, antiques of all sorts all for the buying if I so wished. We live in a modest home, without a lot of room, and are content with our lot in life, but every once in a while...I do give referrals, but we're a long way north of a lot of you good folks!

I

pjm
09-07-2006, 12:45 PM
I'm still hoping to stumble upon a little old lady owned creampuff of a BMW 2002. :cool:

sg8357
09-07-2006, 01:16 PM
I'm still hoping to stumble upon a little old lady owned creampuff of a BMW 2002. :cool:

That little old lady has her BMW parked in front of Grandads Dusenberg
in the back of the barn. You know the Dusey with the His and Hers Rene Herses in the back seat.

For extra points, which movie had a character named, Kharman Ghia ?

Scott G.

Fixed
09-07-2006, 01:28 PM
Ian,

I bought my Team Raleigh in a similar way. A pal from England had the bike,
in completely original condition, (I don't think he ever really rode it), so it just rested in his basement since '82. I finally got it from him, and all I really had
to do was polish it up, and replace the hoods and tires.

It's the same red as your car, and would look great on a vintage roof rack!

g
g.m. if you drove i see you driving something like that . here is mine .
that v.w. is cool

Ozz
09-07-2006, 01:56 PM
...For extra points, which movie had a character named, Kharman Ghia ?....
"The Producers"

cool car.

Sandy
09-07-2006, 02:15 PM

A BMW 2002 tii would be even better!

Sandy

pjm
09-07-2006, 02:20 PM
A BMW 2002 tii would be even better!

Sandy
Absolutely. That would have to be one hip old granny, though!

72gmc
09-07-2006, 02:23 PM
nice work on the karmann ghia.

my truck is the proverbial driven to church by a little (not so old) lady vehicle. didn't take much to get it... i just had to marry her daughter.

steelrider
09-09-2006, 01:59 AM
Sweet ride. My mom still drives her '63 bug--the only car she drives. I was almost born in it driving accross the Bay Bridge, heading into S.F. I'm stoked for you. I recently was the recipient of my sister's '75 BMW 2002. The car needs to be restored. I think that I am going to do it. It is a true pleasure cruising down the road in a classic ride. New cars are like over-priced jelly beans.

Ti Designs
09-09-2006, 02:14 AM
Are you planning on picking up the previous owner on some sunny day and taking her for a ride to get her groceries?

Driver, passenger AND groceries?

xlbs
09-11-2006, 11:02 AM
indeed...She's one sweet little old lady. I might even drop by the flower store to pick up a rose or two!

Keith A
09-11-2006, 01:26 PM
And this is a picture of the little old lady when the car was new... :)

http://www.karmann-ghia-archiv.de/Bildarchiv/Sexy_Ghia/Sexy2/Sexy2.jpg

xlbs
09-11-2006, 01:33 PM
how did you know?!

Keith A
09-11-2006, 01:37 PM
http://www.geocities.com/eleutheroi/wabac.jpg

wabac (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WABAC)