PDA

View Full Version : Bugging me

Dave B
09-07-2006, 09:35 AM
I wrote a proposal for a bike company last year about having a celebration at their HQ. I outlined the idea, gift ideas, purpose, event schedule, rides, races, how to get tax credits, the works.

I was told they were passing it around the office, but loved it. I was then told they were working on it and I asked if I could be involved at all, just to help.

I was told that not only would I be involved, but rewarded/reimbursed with loads of stuff for the hard work and dedication I put forth for their company.

Their celebration has come and gone and no word from them.

I contacted them and everything and heard nothing back.

I have dated emails from when I sent them stuff and have saved things from them.

Do i let it go and hope they had a good time, or contact them and continue to try and get an answer?

coylifut
09-07-2006, 10:00 AM
I wrote a proposal for a bike company last year about having a celebration at their HQ. I outlined the idea, gift ideas, purpose, event schedule, rides, races, how to get tax credits, the works.

I was told they were passing it around the office, but loved it. I was then told they were working on it and I asked if I could be involved at all, just to help.

I was told that not only would I be involved, but rewarded/reimbursed with loads of stuff for the hard work and dedication I put forth for their company.

Their celebration has come and gone and no word from them.

I contacted them and everything and heard nothing back.

I have dated emails from when I sent them stuff and have saved things from them.

Do i let it go and hope they had a good time, or contact them and continue to try and get an answer?

maybe they thought you were a stalker

Dave B
09-07-2006, 10:01 AM
Maybe. :)

BumbleBeeDave
09-07-2006, 10:11 AM
. . it would be out of line to contact the person you had originally talked to and ask what's up. Sounds like they would at least owe you the promised Schwag out of professional courtesy. You have to keep in mind until you know for sure that someone may have just forgotten, or if the person you dealt with is not being fair and professional, it may just be that individual, not the entire company. It might be more productive to find out who the person's supervisor is, then politely contact them instead.

Did you attend the celebration? Can you personally vouch for the fact they definitely used some of your ideas/research?

I guess if you get no other satisfaction, the best you could do for yourself is take solace in the fact people DID have a good time as a result of your efforts and resolve for yourself not to give them any more of your business.

BBD

Dave B
09-07-2006, 10:24 AM
I guess if you get no other satisfaction, the best you could do for yourself is take solace in the fact people DID have a good time as a result of your efforts and resolve for yourself not to give them any more of your business.

BBD[/QUOTE]

Funny you say that, because I did not go to their celebration as it was far away from where I was. I was excitred they used my ideas, but then after being excited with my "friends" they said I should be pissed. I never was, but like the title said it was bugging me. I tend to trust the opinions here so I was just sharing.

I love the company anyway, which is why I sent it to them. They make great bikes and have a great history, just like Serotta. So in the end I guess I have to remember their celebration is not much about me as it is about the history of their company.

atmo
09-07-2006, 10:34 AM
...So in the end I guess I have to remember their celebration is not much about me as it is about the history of their company.
so it's a mute point atmo?

Archibald
09-07-2006, 10:48 AM
I wonder how Lance fits into all this?

:banana:

Dave B
09-07-2006, 10:54 AM
Lance could care less about any of us!

atmo
09-07-2006, 11:05 AM
atmo he's off on a journey, man.

cydewaze
09-07-2006, 11:15 AM
Actually he couldn't care less. :)

Archibald
09-07-2006, 11:30 AM
atmo he's off on a journey, man.
You say the strangest things. Is this another Paris Hilton reference?

I am just trying to narrow down the company in question. My first guess was Trek, since the real POTUS rides a Trek, and since Lance is associated with Trek, the prevailing logic followed that Lance and the gang of four must personally be putting the screws our own "Mr. President." Given his "Lance could care less" response (maybe Lance could care less if he knew the details of the situation, but for now his level of caring or not caring appears to be ambiguous), I may have been right but am unsure given the ill-defined nature or intensity of his caring...as it where. If it wasn't Lance directly, my next guess is his nemesis across the aisle, you know, Jimmy Swaggart. :banana:

My third and last guess would be Cannondale but given their recent history, they probably do not warrant too much admiration from a lot of people. With a nome de plume like "Mr. President" he has to be riding something mainstream. That leaves, what, Specialized?

Either way, these are big bike companies with lots of employees. I wouldn't be too disheartened Mr. President. Call your POC directly and ask them what be the dealio. :D

atmo
09-07-2006, 11:37 AM
You say the strangest things. Is this another Paris Hilton reference?

precisely.

I am just trying to narrow down the company in question.
my position remains that it's a mute point atmo.

I wouldn't be too disheartened Mr. President...

i would not either.

catulle
09-07-2006, 11:44 AM
Did Lance drive Paris onto a DUI journey...? :eek:

Dave B
09-07-2006, 11:57 AM
Well, I appreciate the comments. It was/is not a big company. As wonderful as Cannondale, Trek, and Specialized are they are not interested in a single customer. (IMHO)

I still love the company I am talking about so i chose not to bash them by name. Maybe I should not have started the thread, but it was just bugging me. Your advice and opinions are welcomed and I am grateful.

As for my Lance comment, you have to know it comes from a discussion I had with a friend. I was sypathizing about Lemond popping off about him when asked about Floyd. I am such a huge uber-fan of Lance and the accomplishments he has on and off of the bike that I am a dork about it.

My friend said why did I care about Lance so much. That Lance could not care less (I got it right that time) about me. He said if I got in a wreck, lost my daughter, or got divorced; Lance is not going to blink an eye.

Man, even as an adult those comments stopped me in my tracks. While I jokingly can admit I have a man crush (Tm King of Queens) on Lance and some of the forumites here, it is a hard pill to swallow to know that they do not know who you are and do not care what happens to you.

Anyway again I just wanted to get some people's advice. :beer:

BoulderGeek
While, generally, one could or could not care less, I could say that there are no mute points, only moot ones.

A mute point, I am guessing, would be unsaid, thereby it would fail to exist. An oxymoron, if you would.

Just sayin'. :p :rolleyes: :D

I would also say that, from a personal perspective, if the same thing happened to me, I would write a scathing nastygram, burn all of my bridges and commit complete professional suicide to snipe back at these cretins after suc treatment. But, that's just me.

And it might explain why, though few people ever really get over on me, my career is in the wastebin. :confused:

Dave B
Did Lance drive Paris onto a DUI journey...? :eek:

Sorry mate you lost me there?

tch
09-07-2006, 12:42 PM
While, generally, one could or could not care less, I could say that there are no mute points, only moot ones.
Sure there are. They just don't speak up for themselves; therefore, you never hear about them.

And so they become moot. :beer:

Fixed
09-07-2006, 01:41 PM
come on atmo send the pres a bumper sticker .
cheers

Archibald
09-07-2006, 02:18 PM
[QUOTE=atmo]
my position remains that it's a mute point atmo.QUOTE]
Moot. Moot point. I understand now. Would those be crocodile tears streaming from the eyes of Mr. President?

You are subtle, aren't you?

You are so wily that I want to give you a banana. :banana:

No wait, I want to give you two bananas. :banana: :banana:

and here is another for later: :banana:

swoop
09-07-2006, 02:45 PM
don't use email for this.... you need some face time.
quantify the amount of work you put in to a dollar amount.
justify that dollar amount.
relate that amount to the product you wish to receive as compensation.

leave them alone until after interbike.
do this in print on paper and follow up by phone.
be professional.
have back up documents.

never ever do work again for someone unless you are clear exactly how you are to be compensated. put it in writing. be specific if it is gear that they are paying you with... list the exact gear, year, model, size, and describe the work that you are doing to earn this compensation.
deal with a single responsible party that has the authority to make a deal like this.

bike companies don't stay in business by giving stuff away. they are good about keeping stuff because everyone that comes in contact with them feels entitled to a discount or free gear.

every penny you don't give away is a penny you keep. the bike business is a penny business.