PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Challenge Strada Biancas

merlinmurph
08-15-2017, 02:17 PM
Any tips for mounting a set of Challenge Strada Biancas?

I just went thru round 1 and the tire won. This "open tubular" design is a bit challenging.

The rims are Pacenti SL25's, which can be challenging themselves, but not bad if you keep the tire bead centered on the rim. However, doing that seems impossible with these tires because there's no shape.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Murph

Cicli
08-15-2017, 02:21 PM
Put them in the drier for a bit.

icepick_trotsky
08-15-2017, 02:35 PM
They are a bear for the first time for sure. Second time around (after flat) I didn't even need levers.

stien
08-15-2017, 02:42 PM
Lay 'em in the sun, and like the above said: second time you don't need levers.

ltwtsculler91
08-15-2017, 02:46 PM
I've had success mounting them on the rims sans tubes to stretch out for a day or two before putting them back on for good.

As everyone else has said, they're a bitch to get on the first time but definitely stretch out after that

charliedid
08-15-2017, 02:59 PM
Talc tube and tire a bit

Lay wheel flat on workbench with valve stem away from you

Install the bottom side bead (starting closest to you working around to the valve stem opening) onto the rim pushing all the way down to seat flush against rim wall

Lay your very slightly inflated tube on top of wheel and starting closest to you, grab the tire with both hands (6-10 inches apart) and wrap that section of tube inside the tire while pushing the top section of the bead into the rim well. The trick is to not let go and continue up the sides wrapping the tube with the tire. You might need to let out some air. It helps to push the wheel against the back of the bench/wall to keep pressure on.

Once you get beyond 50% of the tire on it should (haha) go on the rest of the way like a regular tire.

Have fun

FlashUNC
08-15-2017, 03:03 PM
Once used a 650c tube to mount it on a 700 wheels if you're pinching tubes.

Their tires are just the worst.

MerckxMad
08-15-2017, 03:14 PM
I've had success mounting them on the rims sans tubes to stretch out for a day or two before putting them back on for good.

As everyone else has said, they're a bitch to get on the first time but definitely stretch out after that

This is my favored technique. Gin and tonic after mounting helps heal sore thumbs. Just sayin'.

velofinds
08-15-2017, 03:53 PM
Do you have a couple of toe straps (as in the kind used with toe clips) handy? If so, evenly space those and cinch tight at a couple of points along the rim; these are effectively your second pair of hands. With your (now) free hands, work the tire onto the uncinched part of the rim using a tire lever if you have one.

Good luck- as with all things, the job becomes much easier with the right tools.

Brian Cdn
08-15-2017, 04:06 PM
This is my favored technique. Gin and tonic after mounting helps heal sore thumbs. Just sayin'.

Warm tire and spray windex on inside of tire has worked for me...

Gin 'n tonic optional

palincss
08-15-2017, 04:12 PM
Any tips for mounting a set of Challenge Strada Biancas?

I just went thru round 1 and the tire won. This "open tubular" design is a bit challenging.

The rims are Pacenti SL25's, which can be challenging themselves, but not bad if you keep the tire bead centered on the rim. However, doing that seems impossible with these tires because there's no shape.

Am I missing something?

I had the same fun with Parigi Roubaix. I needed tools to mount them, and I had to use a toe strap to hold the bead on as I went around the tire, otherwise what I'd installed before would jump off. I did it first without tubes installed, and let the tire sit for a week mounted on a rim. It stretched enough that afterwards mounting was much easier.

merlinmurph
08-15-2017, 04:58 PM
OK, it's not just me.

I'll mount them to another set of rims for now to stretch them out and let them sit for a few days. A few beers in the meantime.

Glad to hear that they're OK after that. I started wondering what would happen if I flatted.

Thanks guys,
Murph

oliver
08-15-2017, 05:15 PM
Hopefully you won't flat (I don't really).

superbowlpats
08-15-2017, 05:27 PM
OK, it's not just me.

I'll mount them to another set of rims for now to stretch them out and let them sit for a few days. A few beers in the meantime.

Glad to hear that they're OK after that. I started wondering what would happen if I flatted.

Thanks guys,
Murph
after breaking a few tire irons (plastic) and pinching 3 tubes i sold them to a friend. :crap: best bet is to mount with no tubes and let them stretch. then get a friend to help you mount them:beer:

MaraudingWalrus
08-15-2017, 05:42 PM
My set were a bit of a bear to get on initially, but practically fall (in comparison) after that. Same with all the Challenge tires I've had.

I recommend tubeless tape in lieu of thicker Velox or Newbaum's cloth tape. Makes it easier in the future. Ordering a small pile of Silca's tubeless tape for this purpose for myself and a few folks with wheelsets I've built and similar tires.

ERK55
08-15-2017, 07:25 PM
My experience:

Almanzo = brutal
Strada Bianca = brutal

Corso
08-15-2017, 07:31 PM
JUST went through this with a set of Challenge Almanzos! Hardest bike tire I ever had to deal with.

I was getting frustrated--walked away muttering to myself “I’ve changed dirt bike tires, *** is going on here...”

The i remembered an old dirt bike trick: left them in the sun for about an hour.

Much, much easier. I also pinched the “flat” tire up into a rounded shape as I levered them on.

2 weeks later, my first flat with one. (torn valve stem)…I dreaded changing the tube in the field, but much to my surprise, I was able to get it on and off without a tire lever, just my hands.

D2R2 will be a good test for them. So far I like ‘em, but have found nothing “magically supple” about them.

oldpotatoe
08-16-2017, 06:53 AM
My set were a bit of a bear to get on initially, but practically fall (in comparison) after that. Same with all the Challenge tires I've had.

I recommend tubeless tape in lieu of thicker Velox or Newbaum's cloth tape. Makes it easier in the future. Ordering a small pile of Silca's tubeless tape for this purpose for myself and a few folks with wheelsets I've built and similar tires.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/18-mm-Tubeless-Bicycle-Wheel-Rim-Tape-18-mm-x-60-yds/182577586828?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Or just get tubulars...geeez..:D

Bob Ross
08-16-2017, 09:53 AM
Hopefully you won't flat (I don't really).

Odd, this year I stopped using a pair of Challenge Stradas for the winter because I was flatting nearly every week. Took 'em off after less than 300 miles, but more than 4 flats.

I put 'em back on once summer was definitely here to stay and all the snow/salt/sand/crushed glass/whatever-goes-all-over-NY-roads-in-winter was gone, and they've been adequately -- but not exceptionally -- flat-resistant. So they're definitely a seasonal tire for me...if I ever buy them again.

And yes, they're peculiarly frustrating to put on a rim the first time. The word that comes to mind is "flaccid"

jtakeda
08-16-2017, 10:37 AM

This. Tubeless tape instead of Rim tape and it's doable. No tools required.

kingpin75s
08-16-2017, 11:52 AM
I keep a pair of cheap 700c wheels around and mount them there first for a few days.

I have found that lower end wheels (take offs from a Masi Soulville) have looser tolerances for an easier initial install. Once installed for a bit, they are not as difficult to work with.

They are called Challenge for a reason :D

2metalhips
08-16-2017, 12:38 PM
I've been using Challenge Gravel Grinders 120 tpi for a few years, DT XC rims and Stan's Iron Cross rims. Never had an issue mounting them, really good gravel tires.

AngryScientist
08-16-2017, 12:43 PM
hi murph!

"give me a big enough lever, and i can move the earth"

i keep a big downhill mtb tire lever in the toolbox and i'm not afraid to show a set of tires who's the boss when they are tight. they are quite handy to have around.

http://pedros.com/wp-content/uploads/DownhillTireLever1.jpg

oliver
08-16-2017, 12:55 PM
Odd, this year I stopped using a pair of Challenge Stradas for the winter because I was flatting nearly every week. Took 'em off after less than 300 miles, but more than 4 flats.

I put 'em back on once summer was definitely here to stay and all the snow/salt/sand/crushed glass/whatever-goes-all-over-NY-roads-in-winter was gone, and they've been adequately -- but not exceptionally -- flat-resistant. So they're definitely a seasonal tire for me...if I ever buy them again.

And yes, they're peculiarly frustrating to put on a rim the first time. The word that comes to mind is "flaccid"

Could just be different road conditions. I've gotten one flat over roughly 8000 km this year, on two sets of tires.

ltwtsculler91
08-16-2017, 01:27 PM

I'm in North Jersey and rode them all winter and summer with zero flats in 1800mi. Had a nasty cut to the front that went through the rubber and scratched the sidewall around 800mi that caused me to replace one out of caution but other than that no issues on road or gravel/dirt