PDA

View Full Version : Another Tubie Story

Mud
09-07-2006, 08:11 AM
I will never be as eloquent as TT's stories but I felt it was worth posting. Since the early spring my wife and I have been riding Ergott wheels with Tufo 215 gram tires. Both wheelsets are super light-hers are Zipps.

All summer I have felt slower than usual. Part was attributable to surgery and the Dr insisting that I take it easy. I was wondering that at 64 I was finally hitting the wall where my body goes to hell in a hand basket.

Anyhow, the Tufo tires wore out. Our spare wheels have Sun rims and Conti Sprinters-a much heavier combination. Since Lois' wore first I put on her other wheels. At the end of the ride she said that these wheels felt much faster. How could that be coming from someone who would only notice her car did not work right only if the engine was lying on the ground.

Yesterday I rode my set and I could not believe the difference. I felt like I was flying with little effort since I still have to go easy. Speed was up 2mph, imagine if I was pushing.

More importantly I felt better about myself. But now I have the forumite question.

What tubies to I put on the light wheels. Flats are an issue but I can change one. What is the best combo of flat protection and tubie ride heaven.

BTW, the hospital EKG gel worked like a champ on the HRM.

stevep
09-07-2006, 08:19 AM
vittoria or veloflex

you will think you have been riding with flat tires on the tufos

LegendRider
09-07-2006, 08:19 AM
Tufos have notoriously high rolling resistance. I can't say whether or not that's what you're experiencing, but at the very least I suspect it contributed to the problem. Forumites will recommend Veloflexes as the the top of the line, but they get mixed reviews for durability. The Conti Competition is a good choice for performance and durability. Personally, I've had bad luck with Sprinters (punctures, not round - lumps at the valve stem). I'm looking forward to the new Conti GP4000 tubular revealed at the bike shows.

djg
09-07-2006, 09:05 AM
Tufos have notoriously high rolling resistance. I can't say whether or not that's what you're experiencing, but at the very least I suspect it contributed to the problem. Forumites wil recommend Veloflexes as the the top of the line, but they get mixed reviews for durability. The Conti Competition is a good choice for performance and durability. Personally, I've had bad luck with Sprinters (punctures, not round - lumps at the valve stem). I'm looking forward to the new Conti GP4000 tubular revealed at the bike shows.

I have heard that the tufos have high rolling resistance, but it's pretty hard to imagine the tire compound that will take 2 mph off your speed. Sometimes something that feels better psychs you up to go a little harder ... I dunno.

I do like the veloflex tubbies--the criterium are excellent and folks like the carbons too (although I haven't tried them). Although these are not designed to be super long and hard wearing tires, they are not fragile, special use tires--I think you'll get pretty good wear out of them.

LegendRider
09-07-2006, 09:18 AM
I have heard that the tufos have high rolling resistance, but it's pretty hard to imagine the tire compound that will take 2 mph off your speed. Sometimes something that feels better psychs you up to go a little harder ... I dunno.

I do like the veloflex tubbies--the criterium are excellent and folks like the carbons too (although I haven't tried them). Although these are not designed to be super long and hard wearing tires, they are not fragile, special use tires--I think you'll get pretty good wear out of them.

Check out the rolling resistance charts at the bottom of this article.
http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-1503651.html

saab2000
09-07-2006, 09:41 AM
vittoria or veloflex

you will think you have been riding with flat tires on the tufos

Word.

I use Veloflex with good results and have not found them to be fragile at all. Obviously, care needs to be taken, but they are excellent tires with good wear and good puncture resistance by not picking up grit which works its way into the rubber. I don't know what rubber they use, but it seems to work. No guarantees against flats, but I do guarantee you will like how they ride.

wasfast
09-07-2006, 09:47 AM
I would have liked to see the Veloflex Pave included in the clincher tests but it's still nice to see some measured performance instead of just rider perception.

terrytnt
09-07-2006, 11:54 AM
I've experienced many years of excellent road feel and wear with Vittoria CXs. However, based on all the outstanding testimonials with Veloflex, I ordered 2 Criteriums (world class cycles - these folks are personable and very reasonable) in route to replace my CXs (which have over 1000 miles and still look pretty good). Can't wait to try these out. Stay tuned!

As others have said, wipe down and inspect your tires after every ride. Just this Monday, after over 60 miles I found a remnaint of wire sticking out of my CX (at least 1/8" in the tire). I extracted it, and watch the tire over the next several days for leakage. Aside from normal deflation, the tire is fine.

Score another for Vittoria.

Needs Help
09-07-2006, 12:30 PM
Check out the rolling resistance charts at the bottom of this article.
http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-1503651.html
Thanks for the link. Competitive Cyclist also has this to say about the Veloflex Carbons:

according to Veloflex you should expect triple the lifespan from a Carbon in comparison to the Record.

terrytnt
09-07-2006, 12:40 PM
By the way, from my initial research over the past several days, the quality and composition of the Veloflex Carbon and Criterium are more similar than different, the primary difference being (1) tread pattern and (2) cotton/latex gum siding vs. black latex siding.

Both are outstanding riding and durable tires. Just a matter of preference. Having Vittoria CXs with black side walls for years, wanted to try a more 'traditional' tubular look. Should go great with my Neutrons.