PDA

View Full Version : OT: Riding scooters in Rome.

p nut
08-14-2017, 03:20 PM
I have an unexpectedly fortunate opportunity to visit Rome next month for 5-6 days. I won't have time to ride, as the other couple nor my wife are cyclists, but I'm sure we'll have plenty to do.

I am interested in getting on two-wheels, though, by the way of scooters. For those that have done this, how was your experience? Was it a nightmare trying to navigate your way around? Dealing with traffic? Risk>reward?

I live in a medium-sized metro area and don't see a ton of traffic like some of your folks in large cities. I have driven plenty in major metro areas, but never on 2 wheels. So I may be out of my element. I would still like to do it, unless there are compelling reasons I shouldn't? Thanks.

fiamme red
08-14-2017, 04:11 PM
Do you have previous experience with a motorcycle or scooter? Rome is not the best place to learn to ride one. You'll be dealing with the insanity of other scooters, cars, taxis, buses, potholes, pedestrians, and confusing signs. Not like any American city.

p nut
08-14-2017, 04:21 PM
Do you have previous experience with a motorcycle or scooter? Rome is not the best place to learn to ride one. You'll be dealing with the insanity of other scooters, cars, taxis, buses, potholes, pedestrians, and confusing signs. Not like any American city.

Thanks for the comment. Forgot to mention, I do have my motorcycle endorsement. Used to ride quite a bit (had a cruiser and a couple of CBRs). Sold them when I got married many years ago and haven't ridden since.

ERK55
08-14-2017, 04:31 PM
I have no experience riding a scooter, but in terms of riding one in Rome I would approach with caution. Unless perhaps you've ridden one in some other European cities.
When I lived in Italy (quite a few years back), stopping at red lights was optional. If you did stop at a red light there was a risk of being rear-ended. Don't know if it's the same now.

johnmdesigner
08-14-2017, 04:45 PM
I've driven in Rome a few times. It is chaos but organized chaos. Once you figure it out it is like riding a wave. It all makes perfect sense.
I rode on the back of my friends scooter and it was quite a thrill. But he knew where he was going and was used to it.
Traffic laws are optional. It is a real game of chicken to see who blasts through the intersection first.
I think there must be a tourist service that gives rides on scooters. Perhaps you could try that. You get to enjoy the scenery more.

fuzzalow
08-14-2017, 04:47 PM
Hard to know 'cos nobody here has any idea how you drive now. If I had to summarize it, think of traffic movement as flow in Rome whereas most American driving is thought of as position and ownership of the moving patch of road currently occupied.

On a scooter, with even a Vespas power-to-weight and diminutive size, you can squirt your way in and outta traffic flow all day long.

Driving a car in Rome is slightly different but the same dynamics apply. i.e. if there's a gap in front of you then it is open game in moving traffic for somebody else to merge into it. That gap can barely be a car length but if there's a gap behind you that taxi will come in 'cos he sees you've got room. So don't lean into the horn like a dumbass American when some taxi driver takes the gap, just lift off the throttle a bit, no brakes, let 'em in and the whole thing moves along like nuthin' ever happened.

A scooter is no problem. A car for some will certainly be. Either way, you gotta be decisive and you gotta have a broader view of traffic flow when & where required.

I last drove there 5 years ago but I doubt things have gotten any different.

What ERK55 said about red lights is true, these guys are looking ahead and if the intersection is clear then they just go as a rolling stop and not a full stop. You should do the same. So don't drive like a boy scout, drive like a Roman!

fiamme red
08-14-2017, 04:59 PM
To sum up the driving experience in Rome: "he who hesitates is lost." If you're not used to it, it can be very stressful and even dangerous.

I'd advise against renting a scooter. You'd be better off walking and using public transportation.

andeww
08-14-2017, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the comment. Forgot to mention, I do have my motorcycle endorsement. Used to ride quite a bit (had a cruiser and a couple of CBRs). Sold them when I got married many years ago and haven't ridden since.

If you have riding experience i think you should just make the call when you get there. You will get an idea of the traffic and can decide if you want to go for it or not. For reference i have very little scooter experience and riding around Vietnam is one of the most fun things i have done, quite a rush. cheers

Ken Robb
08-14-2017, 06:00 PM
Never been to Rome but the street map makes it look very tricky for a stranger to navigate while driving/riding. I have driven in London and that was challenging. Anyone can easily navigate around Chicago since it is laid out in mostly perfect grids. NYC is a little trickier, Boston is much trickier but I think Rome would be more than I want to handle.

dave thompson
08-14-2017, 07:02 PM
Rome is a great walking city, not so much for driving. I've driven in a great many countries; England, Mexico, Japan, Spain, etc., but Rome traffic scared the living crap out of me. Drivers there jealously guard their space on the road and will take yours if you blink. It's almost like being on a crowded race track. Maybe that's why Italian drivers do so well in track competition.

tiretrax
08-14-2017, 07:10 PM
No one mentioned the quality of the streets. Lots of pave that's hand pounded - very uneven - and lots of potholes. Also, a Vespa does not handle like a motorcycle, so it will be even more of an adaptation in traffic. I suggest riding them in Bermuda, where there is less pressure.

merckxman
08-14-2017, 10:00 PM
Think about this:if you cause an accident do you want to be involved in the Italian legal system?

pasadena
08-14-2017, 10:15 PM
sounds like a blast! Try one of those cool 3 wheel Piaggio scooters if you can.
If you're with AAA, they can advise on travel insurance/rental stuff.

Post up pics!

p nut
08-15-2017, 01:02 PM
Thank you for the inputs. Great stuff, as usual. I've been (not driven in) to Japan and Korea, and the "organized chaos" comment seems right on. The scooters/moped riders were pretty nuts there, since every restaurant delivers (including McD's), I'd sometimes see a swarm of riders zipping in and out of traffic, possibly akin to bike messengers.

I booked it and will see what it's like once there. I'm bringing some good walking shoes, as we'll probably end up on our feet most of the time. I wouldn't mind a day, or even a few hours, on two wheels, though. Maybe a ride out to the country, if permissible.

merlinmurph
08-15-2017, 02:26 PM
Make sure your health insurance is up to date.

It's pretty crazy. The wife and I merely picked up a car and promptly drove out of the city - enough Rome driving for us. The rest of Italy was wonderful.

On a scooter? Nope.

Istanbul was much crazier, though. We didn't drive, just watched.

Mr. Pink
08-15-2017, 09:30 PM
Last time I was in Italy I drove probably 800 miles, but, never in a city of any real size. Picked up the car at the Rome airport, drove to Tuscany and beyond, and dropped the car off at Malpensa airport near Milan. I would never drive in Rome or Milan or even Florence. But, the rest of the country was great. Awesome highway system, very civilized behavior on them. Only once, ONCE, was I passed on the right on those highways. Great drivers.