PDA

View Full Version : journal from my cross country bicycle trip

itsflantastic
09-06-2006, 11:53 PM
Hi everyone.
This is about two weeks overdue now, but I completed my (what ended up being solo) self contained bike tour of North America. I didn't use a cyclometer, but I estimate 4000 miles. Seattle Washington, to Bangor Maine. I used the Adventure Cycling Maps (GREAT! it was a combination of their Northern Tier and North Lakes routes).

here is a little equipment list for those interested:

Bruce Gordon BLT w/ Bruce Gordon Racks
Arkel Panniers
EMS Moonshadow singlewall single person tent
Brooks B.17 touring saddle

Everything worked out great. No major problems.
You can see pictures and read some stories (though they got a little sparse after I ended up riding solo due to my brother's broken arm) at the following URL:

www.crazyguyonabike.com/journal/flancott

or just go to crazyguyonabike.com and search for my name:Dan Flannery

Enjoy!

Ray
09-07-2006, 06:23 AM
Great trip Dan. You'll never forget it. Thanks for the report and pictures.

-Ray

spiderlake
09-07-2006, 05:21 PM
Dan - just finished reading your journal entries. Sounds like you had an amazing time. Back to back to back to back to back.... centuries on a touring bike is awesome!

ols
09-07-2006, 06:36 PM
Great read, excellent pics and totally cool that you did it without a cycle computer! What stuff did you mail home back in Washington?

beungood
09-07-2006, 07:36 PM
What type of gearing did each of the bikes have? Awesome web site, it was exciting to read of your travels!

onekgguy
09-07-2006, 08:32 PM
Congratulations! I loved reading about your adventure and only hope that I can do the same some day. The people you met along the way add a lot of color to your story. Thanks for taking the time to put it together and share it.

Kevin

39cross
09-08-2006, 07:16 AM
Give yourself a gold star and a pat on the back. Thanks for an entertaining read.

I was hoping for a picture of you standing next to the Paul Bunyan statue in Bangor at the end of your trip!

William
09-08-2006, 09:04 AM
Very cool.

Thanks for posting about your experience.

I've been reading the different entries on the Crazyguy website for a while now. Nice site. :cool:

William

sc53
09-08-2006, 02:58 PM
Dan, great job finishing the ride solo. It seems your brother broke his arm in the first week of the trip? How'd it happen? He had the trailer full of gear, so what did you take to do the rest solo?
Thanks for the pix, they are beautiful. I can't believe you made it 4000 miles in 2 mos, flantastic!!