PDA

View Full Version : New to Di2...question for users

Kingfisher
08-13-2017, 09:18 PM
Just got good deal on complete Emonda sl6 on the bay and it has ultegra di2, but I've got to switch out the handlebar and stem. First time user of di2.

Currently bike has internal routing carbon handlebar which means I've got to unplug the cables from junction box under stem. Will unplugging change anything with shifting, will I have to fine tune? Bike currently shifts perfectly.
Thanks

kramnnim
08-13-2017, 09:40 PM
Nope

shovelhd
08-14-2017, 06:46 AM
Download, install, and play around with the Shimano E-Tube application. It's the best way to get to know the system.

bewheels
08-14-2017, 07:10 AM
Download, install, and play around with the Shimano E-Tube application. It's the best way to get to know the system.

I am sure there a lot to learn by doing this and it has been on my list of things to do, however it certainly is not necessary. I have about 10,000 miles on one install of Di2. Used different cassette ranges, replaced chains, etc without ever touching the initial shifting set up.

I know that you can change several behaviors using the app and it will be interesting to do. But for anyone new to it, I would advocate just riding for w while first.

thermalattorney
08-14-2017, 08:28 AM
Nope

+1

Di2 is wonderfully simple in that regard, plug/unplug to your hearts content and no adjustment is necessary.

SoCalSteve
08-14-2017, 09:21 AM
There is a special tool that Shimano makes to help plug and unplug the e tube wires. I suggest you use this tool.

Enjoy!

oldpotatoe
08-14-2017, 09:31 AM
There is a special tool that Shimano makes to help plug and unplug the e tube wires. I suggest you use this tool.

Enjoy!

Highly recommended, this wee tool. You kill a connector, you kill the wire or component.

shovelhd
08-14-2017, 11:18 AM
I am sure there a lot to learn by doing this and it has been on my list of things to do, however it certainly is not necessary. I have about 10,000 miles on one install of Di2. Used different cassette ranges, replaced chains, etc without ever touching the initial shifting set up.

I know that you can change several behaviors using the app and it will be interesting to do. But for anyone new to it, I would advocate just riding for w while first.

It's not just a configuration tool, it's a diagnostic as well.

SoCalSteve
08-14-2017, 11:23 AM
It's not just a configuration tool, it's a diagnostic as well.

And firmware upgrades too.

3 things: Firmware upgrades, diagnostic tool and allows you to change shift patterns, slow or speed up shifting, etc.

Nifty tool. Loved plugging my bike into my computer. Who woulda thunk it???

Cat3roadracer
08-14-2017, 05:13 PM
What does this tool look like.

SoCalSteve
08-14-2017, 06:30 PM
What does this tool look like.

It's on sale here: http://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-Di2-TL-EW02-E-Tube-Wiring-Tool

MaraudingWalrus
08-15-2017, 09:12 AM
And firmware upgrades too.

3 things: Firmware upgrades, diagnostic tool and allows you to change shift patterns, slow or speed up shifting, etc.

Nifty tool. Loved plugging my bike into my computer. Who woulda thunk it???

Pshhh. Plugging your bike into a computer...what is this, 2015? Get a WU111 and do those things wirelessly from your phone or tablet!

SoCalSteve
08-15-2017, 02:28 PM
Pshhh. Plugging your bike into a computer...what is this, 2015? Get a WU111 and do those things wirelessly from your phone or tablet!

Wow, I had no idea! Last plug in wireless sensor I used with DI2 just allowed the components to interface with my Garmin. They have come a long way.

I've been using ETap awhile now, I guess...and, it doesn't need a wu111, it's built in wireless...:p

MaraudingWalrus
08-15-2017, 02:30 PM
Wow, I had no idea! Last plug in wireless sensor I used with DI2 just allowed the components to interface with my Garmin. They have come a long way.

I've been using ETap awhile now, I guess...and, it doesn't need a wu111, it's built in wireless...:p

I can't recall if it allows diagnostics wireless or not. But setting adjustments and firmware updates for sure.