PDA

View Full Version : RIP Luciano Berruti

choke
08-13-2017, 06:39 PM
Luciano Berruti was found dead on the side of the road in Italy while out riding his bike today. I suppose that's a fitting way for a man with so much passion for cycling to go.

Eroica won't be quite the same without his smiling face and his old Peugeot. RIP.

wc1934
08-13-2017, 06:54 PM
Sad!

His museum:
http://blog.castelli-cycling.com/2014/08/29/luciano-berruti-the-eroico-and-his-museum/

thwart
08-13-2017, 07:10 PM
Sad!

'tis a shame that word, used in exactly that way, now has such inappropriate and negative connotations.

Anyway, back to Mr. Berruti. A nice quote from the Castelli blog linked above, after he had returned to the small town of Cosseria with some Castelli folks after attending Eurobike...

We go out and many people of the town were expecting for Luciano, after two days away from home, with us in Friedrichshafen.
Guys playing football outside of the museum, old friends and relatives asking to him how it was and what he did in Germany.

I'm sure he'll be missed.

mhespenheide
08-14-2017, 02:12 PM
I've ridden Eroica California twice and each time (in my very limited Italian) spoke with Signor Berruti. He was unfailingly polite, warm, and genuine.

He will be missed.

Tickdoc
08-14-2017, 02:57 PM
If there was ever a dude that epitomized what Eroica was all about.

I'd call that a good death....or a good life. RIP good sir.:beer:

numbskull
08-14-2017, 05:25 PM
I admired how he lived his passion.

cnighbor1
08-15-2017, 11:11 AM
Luciano Berruti was found dead on the side of the road in Italy while out riding his bike today. I suppose that's a fitting way for a man with so much passion for cycling to go.

Eroica won't be quite the same without his smiling face and his old Peugeot. RIP.

I wondered what happened has press report stated he was out riding no details
A friend was out riding and fell off his bike All he recalled was finding himself on the pavement and no reason for it

brownhound
08-15-2017, 12:20 PM
Quick and doing something you love. The best a person can hope for, I think.

tiretrax
08-15-2017, 05:59 PM
RIP.

A friend's dad was Masters Crit Champ for five years. He had a massive coronary while riding home from work one day. I guess that's a good way to go, but I think I'd rather go like Nelson Rockefeller.

velomateo
08-15-2017, 09:11 PM
I met him at Eroica CA this year. He was so willing to stop for a photo or to shake a hand. Incredibly nice guy.