PDA

View Full Version : OT: where to buy a footwear rubbing bar

FastforaSlowGuy
08-13-2017, 10:24 AM
Every single pair of boots and shoes my wife buys needs to be rubbed out. Anyone know where to get one of those rubbing bars you find in podiatry offices and good outdoor retail stores? Seems like an easy enough thing to mount to my workbench. But heck if I can find one online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bruce K
08-13-2017, 10:34 AM
Not sure what you mean by rubbing bar.

Are you referring to a sole scraper? If so, country store/general store or a tack shop (to scrape poop off riding boots).

BK

BSBD
08-13-2017, 11:54 AM
Not sure what you mean by rubbing bar.

Are you referring to a sole scraper? If so, country store/general store or a tack shop (to scrape poop off riding boots).

BK

I don't think so. I think he's talking about a metal rod that has a knob on the end that is used to press/rub out specific spots on a shoe. I've spent a half hour trying to google this and have come up short. Black Creek Outfitters in Jacksonville, FL used to have two in different diameters and curves for their mountaineering boots, maybe give them a call to see where they got their's from? Otherwise, I'd hazard to guess it wouldn't be the most difficult thing a welder to make: metal rod, a ball on the end, curve, weld a plate to it and make some holes.

Dead Man
08-13-2017, 12:00 PM
https://www.amazon.com/Shoekeeper-Wooden-Stretcher-Stretch-Spray/dp/B00YT5PF66

Get a shoe stretcher with punch buttons

I apparently have weird shaped feet or something, because a LOT of footwear hurts. My solution was to find manufacturers that make shoes that fit different/better for me, and stick with them.

That's the best way to address it... if I shoe just doesn't fit the shape of your foot right, it's gonna be a PITA even with stretching and punching. But if your wife is anything like mine, fit<style - not happening.

FastforaSlowGuy
08-13-2017, 12:38 PM
Thanks folks. BSBD has it right. In an effort to find a picture to post, I actually found someone who sells it. Seems like a lot of coin for a steel bar with a rounded end. Maybe I'll track down a welder.

It's not so much that her feet are oddly shaped, but she has an extra bone in one foot that sticks out. Going to a wider shoe just creates other and bigger problems. Better to just make that spot work.

http://www.thornappleriverboots.com/thornapple%20boots%20web%20page_files/page0001.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bruce K
08-13-2017, 01:24 PM
Got it

I saw a tip on line that says you can make one by wrapping the end of a wooden chair leg in duct tape.

BK

parris
08-13-2017, 04:09 PM
This may be an off base suggestion but could a combination wrench with a closed end work Depending on the size?

Louis
08-13-2017, 04:24 PM
Just out of curiosity, what does rubbing a shoe / boot with the said bar do?

Bruce K
08-13-2017, 05:55 PM
Stretches the leather in a targeted spot to give more room.

See what you learn here!?!

BK

Louis
08-13-2017, 09:15 PM
See what you learn here!?!

If I learn much more here I may have to get a skull rubbing bar...