PDA

View Full Version : Campy CX cranks: Comparative level?

Lewis Moon
08-12-2017, 09:20 PM
Which better known groupset level would you compare to the Campy CX cranks? I'm asking for a friend...

Hilltopperny
08-12-2017, 09:22 PM
I'd say chorus level. I have a set on my cross bike and they function as well as the carbon chorus cranks I've run.

Lewis Moon
08-12-2017, 09:35 PM
I'd say chorus level. I have a set on my cross bike and they function as well as the carbon chorus cranks I've run.

Do you have the alloy or carbon?

Hilltopperny
08-12-2017, 09:39 PM
Do you have the alloy or carbon?

Carbon

shinomaster
08-13-2017, 01:38 PM
More like Athena with power torque.

PaMtbRider
08-13-2017, 02:26 PM
More like Athena with power torque.

Based on what? They actually weigh less than Chorus.

shinomaster
08-13-2017, 04:17 PM
The power torque is considered inferior. I just put an 11 speed Campy CX crank on my Zank and it's really nice and light, looks hot. The 11 speed rings are better than the 10 speed.

scho74
08-13-2017, 05:11 PM
I believe they're Athena level. The only reason they weigh less than Chorus is because the bearings are part of the Chorus and above cranks. Athena and below, the bearings are part of the BB. Is that right?

Hilltopperny
08-13-2017, 05:55 PM
I replaced my athena silver with carbon cx cranks and I believe that the cx cranks are still much lighter than both sets of Athena 11spd I have run. They may be power torque, but I really don't think they are inferior to the ultra torque cranks I have used. I guess it's all subjective though:beer:

Mark McM
08-14-2017, 09:58 AM
I believe they're Athena level. The only reason they weigh less than Chorus is because the bearings are part of the Chorus and above cranks. Athena and below, the bearings are part of the BB. Is that right?

That's not correct. I have weighed Athena Power Torque cranks plus cups and Athena Ultra Torque cranks plus cups, and the Power Torque cranks/cups/bearings were about an ounce lighter. I suspect this is because Ultra Torque requires a thicker, stiffer spindle for the Hirth joint. Power Torque just requires a spline cut into the end of the spindle.