PDA

View Full Version : Serotta Colorado AL

rwsaunders
09-06-2006, 07:36 PM
I noticed a Serotta for sale with the moniker "Colorado AL" on the frame. Would this designate an aluminum frame from the men of steel? Was there such a beast?

Thanks

Tony Edwards
09-06-2006, 07:50 PM
There was indeed. IIRC they were TIG-welded frames designed by Serotta and built by Kinesis. Not really my thing but certainly a decent bike. I've never ridden one, but fans of newer AL/scandium frames will tell you their bikes are lighter and ride better.

BoulderGeek
09-06-2006, 08:38 PM
I have an Easton Scandium 7000-tubed Rocky Mountain road frame, and indeed, it is far smoother than say a Specialized S-Works or Colnago Dream.

It is not, IMHO, ATMO, even close to my Nove in the smooth ride department.

On the other hand, the cost of acquisition was a mere fraction of the Serotta.

We'll see which one is still ridable in ten years, however.

Actually, I do have four years on the SC7000 bike, and it hasn't fatigued or cracked yet. Knock on wood. But, I expect it to any day.

rwsaunders
09-06-2006, 08:55 PM
Thanks folks. Although the photo was grainy, the welds at the headtube did not appear to be indicative of Serotta quality. Someone at Kinesis should have taken lessons from Klein and Cannondale .

Smiley
09-06-2006, 08:55 PM
Bill Bove has what Three colorado AL , and all in PINK or Mangenta as we like to call it :)

Bill Bove
09-07-2006, 09:06 AM
I still ride one at least three or four times a week after close to ten years, it's my go fast bike.