PDA

View Full Version : wheelswitch what's the deal

Fixed
09-06-2006, 05:27 PM
bro I ve been screwing around with some 28 hole open pro 's that cool mavic 601 hubs revo spokes tied and sodered drive rear on my merckx but here is the thing ...
when i put weight on the front or do my little sprint thing nothing happens
put some 32 3 cross cxp's da hubed and zing off i go ..
here is the question give the 28's to my 14 y.o. son he's 140 pounds, sell em. re spoke them . or get head exam.?
cheers

pale scotsman
09-06-2006, 06:34 PM
Can you see the flex on the 28's? I had a Shimano 540 front wheel that felt like that. One day on an uphill I noticed that as I stood and cranked the rim actually hit the brake shoe. Too much lateral movement for me. Bought a set of 33's on open pros from Colorado Cyclist and I swear the bike felt quicker. It's not in your head buddy.

dgauthier
09-06-2006, 06:41 PM
Can you see the flex on the 28's? I had a Shimano 540 front wheel that felt like that. One day on an uphill I noticed that as I stood and cranked the rim actually hit the brake shoe. Too much lateral movement for me. Bought a set of 33's on open pros from Colorado Cyclist and I swear the bike felt quicker. It's not in your head buddy.

Amen.

Everyone, together now, repeat after me: "I want a fast bike, not a light bike. I want a fast bike, not a light bike. I want a fast bike, not a light bike . . . "

Sandy
09-06-2006, 06:45 PM
I would suggest that you know precisely what is wrong with the wheels (or bike) before you decide to sell them or let your kid use them.

Safe Sandy

Fixed
09-06-2006, 07:45 PM
the wheels are fine in fact they came from wheelfine
I'm just hard on wheels when i sprint you know low body pullin on the h. bars kind of stuff .
cheers

Dude
09-06-2006, 08:35 PM
i don't think it is the 28 spoke count. it is the revo's. The revo's will never, ever break, but they sure will flex a lot. Not vertically (trying pulling on that sucker) but laterally, they are very flexy (try bending it into a U). They really are as thin as wire in the middle.

As a result, they give a very smooth ride, but damn if you are trying to sprint/climb/do anything out of the saddle, they won't work well.

I'd respoke them and then give them to your son, he'll have them for years.

chrisroph
09-06-2006, 08:44 PM
tensioned properly? tight enough? Just too strong? My 28's with nos ssc's are really great cruising wheels but they're not my best sprinting wheels.