PDA

View Full Version : OT: Chopper Builder, Billy Lane, involved in fatal crash

Keith A
09-06-2006, 04:55 PM
One of our local celebs, Billy Lane, was involved in a fatal crash that he caused -- although no charges have been filled yet. It is ironic, that it was his pickup that killed a man on a two-wheeled vehicle (a motor scooter).

Here's a couple of articles about the accident, 1st one (http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060906/NEWS01/609060396/1006) and 2nd one (http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060906/BREAKINGNEWS/60906018)

BumbleBeeDave
09-06-2006, 09:06 PM
. . . I think Mr. Lane had best hire himself a VERY good attorney--quick.

BBD

Keith A
09-06-2006, 09:17 PM
My sympathies certainly go out to the family that lost someone they loved. However, I also feel sorry (not anymore) for Billy Lane...I can't imagine causing the death of another person by doing something stupid like he did. From everything I've heard about BL, he just your average guy and hasn't let his notoriety go to his head. But justice must be served and I would guess this is going to mean jail time for Mr. Lane.

Kind of hard to find a silver lining in this one.

Needs Help
09-06-2006, 10:40 PM
Florida Highway Patrol investigators said Lane was trying to pass two other vehicles on a double yellow-lined portion of A1A when his southbound 2006 Dodge Ram pickup collided with a northbound 1983 Yamaha moped.
I also feel sorry for Billy Lane
I think if he says the sun was in his eyes, he should be able to get off, so don't worry about him too much.

Keith A
09-07-2006, 07:22 AM
I think if he says the sun was in his eyes, he should be able to get off, so don't worry about him too much.Actually my reason for feeling sorry for Mr. Lane is not out of concern for the punishment that he will receive, but having to live with the fact that he was the direct cause of this man's death. Especially given the fact that if BL would had simply obeyed the markings on the road, this man would still be alive today. IMHO, this would be a heavy burden to carry around.

BumbleBeeDave
09-07-2006, 08:58 AM
. . . I hate to be so cynical, but the mention of the earlier drunk driving incident in one of the stories removes much of the sympathy aspect from this--at least for me. Granted, you may know this guy and he may BE a nice guy, but the outstandingly bad judgement and attention to the road indicated by the described circumstances of the accident, coupled with the earlier incident, has to make me really wonder . . .

Nothing personal towards you or your feeling for Mr. Lane--I just disagree with you here. I'm afraid I have far more sympathy for the family of the guy who was on the scooter. :(

BBD

Keith A
09-07-2006, 09:15 AM
I'm afraid I have far more sympathy for the family of the guy who was on the scooter. :(As do I...and I didn't intend for my posting to minimize the significant loss to Gerry Morelock's family. I also agree that if BL was intoxicated, then this changes the situation.

However, I know this exact stretch of road that the accident occurred on and it can be maddening at times to have to follow drivers that often are doing 10 mph below the speed limit. There seems to be an endless amount of double yellow lines on this straight stretch of road and it is common for drivers to violate this law. I'm not saying this is the right thing to do, but I can appreciate the situation.

BTW, here's another article that was posted in our local paper about Gerry Morelock (http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060907/NEWS01/609070331/1006/news01). He has worked for the past seven years as a park ranger at Sebastian Inlet and loved playing the guitar.

http://cmsimg.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=A9&Date=20060907&Category=NEWS01&ArtNo=609070331&Ref=AR&Profile=1006&MaxW=550&MaxH=650&title=0

atmo
09-07-2006, 09:28 AM
I think if he says the sun was in his eyes, he should be able to get off, so don't worry about him too much.
how can this be used as an excuse, legally that is?

Keith A
09-07-2006, 09:36 AM
how can this be used as an excuse, legally that is?I think this was a little tongue-in-cheek from Needs Help since it was dark when the accident happened and assume his remarks were due to the fact that Mr. Lane is bit of a celebrity.

atmo
09-07-2006, 09:39 AM
I think this was a little tongue-in-cheek from Needs Help and assume his remarks were due to the fact that Mr. Lane is bit of a celebrity.
is toungue-in-cheek a coloquialism atmo?
i did a google search on lane and there are
many links that pertain to his fan base.

Keith A
09-07-2006, 09:41 AM
From Wikipedia..."Tongue-in-cheek is a term that refers to a style of humour in which things are said only half seriously, or in a subtly mocking way."

Keith A
09-27-2006, 08:50 AM
No more sympthay for Mr. Billy Lane -- he was officially charged with driving under the influence manslaughter, driving with his license suspended and driving under the influence with serious bodily injuries. He drank most of the day and evening on the day of the accident and still thought he was capable of driving. His blood alcohol level was .192 and Florida's legal limit is .08. Here's a couple of articles from the Florida Today with the details for anyone that might be interested.

"Lane charged in fatal wreck" (http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060926/NEWS01/609260328) and "Lane, victim's kin face tough days" (http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060926/BREAKINGNEWS/60926021)

My only hope is that some of his fans might think twice before doing the same.

ti_boi
09-27-2006, 10:05 AM
As do I...and I didn't intend for my posting to minimize the significant loss to Gerry Morelock's family. I also agree that if BL was intoxicated, then this changes the situation.

However, I know this exact stretch of road that the accident occurred on and it can be maddening at times to have to follow drivers that often are doing 10 mph below the speed limit. There seems to be an endless amount of double yellow lines on this straight stretch of road and it is common for drivers to violate this law. I'm not saying this is the right thing to do, but I can appreciate the situation.

BTW, here's another article that was posted in our local paper about Gerry Morelock (http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060907/NEWS01/609070331/1006/news01). He has worked for the past seven years as a park ranger at Sebastian Inlet and loved playing the guitar.

http://cmsimg.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=A9&Date=20060907&Category=NEWS01&ArtNo=609070331&Ref=AR&Profile=1006&MaxW=550&MaxH=650&title=0

Now see, this is what happens when fools get behind the wheel.....road rage...and in this case INTOXICATION......driving too fast in huge trucks....a general manic pace of life that makes people behind the wheel dangerous. I see it every day here. Terrible.

The victim sounds like my kind of person. R I P

Keith A
09-27-2006, 10:09 AM
One interesting point of this whole situation is that BL rode his chopper to his store and then got in his truck to drive home. If he would have just rode the chopper home, then I doubt that Gerry Morelock would have lost his life.

ti_boi
09-27-2006, 10:11 AM
One interesting point of this whole situation is that BL rode his chopper to his store and then got in his truck to drive home. If he would have just rode the chopper home, then I doubt that Gerry Morelock would have lost his life.

Naw, probably just a leg or something....

Keith A
09-27-2006, 10:14 AM
Or more likely, it would have been BL who would have been the injured one. But then again, somehow that doesn't always work out that way and it seems like many times, the intoxicated driver is the one that walks away with the least amount of injuries.

davids
09-27-2006, 10:21 AM
Yeah, maybe just Billy Lane... :no:

Fixed
09-27-2006, 10:46 AM
bro, you'r right he should have been on one of his bikes insted of a pickup truck. imho
cheers

Lost Weekend
09-27-2006, 01:38 PM
He'll fit right in to prison life with all those tat's

neverraced
09-27-2006, 04:37 PM
Actually my reason for feeling sorry for Mr. Lane is not out of concern for the punishment that he will receive, but having to live with the fact that he was the direct cause of this man's death. Especially given the fact that if BL would had simply obeyed the markings on the road, this man would still be alive today. IMHO, this would be a heavy burden to carry around.

Come on, do you really think it is going to be a burden? Everyone will console him, tell him it was an accident, he'll "take responsibility", but it was his childhood, his drinking, his being abused, his post traumatic stress,the drugs, the pain killers, anything he wants to say, that was really at fault, and he'll be right as rain.
He's not going to run himself into the ground grieving. I doubt if that happens anymore, if it ever did.

Keith A
09-27-2006, 04:43 PM
Okay, I'd like to think that realizing that he was a complete idiot for drinking and driving and that his stupidity caused another person's death would be a heavy burden for him. I know I would have a hard time living with myself in this situation.

manet
09-27-2006, 06:51 PM

BumbleBeeDave
09-27-2006, 09:01 PM
. . . on this situation? Has he been charged with anything? What's happening? . . .

BBD

atmo
09-27-2006, 09:20 PM
. . . on this situation? Has he been charged with anything? What's happening? . . .

BBD
rif (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=257533&postcount=12) atmo

toaster
09-27-2006, 09:55 PM
You know what the motorcyclists and their lawyers say, "Kill a biker, go to jail".

How appropriate that this perpetrator of drinking and driving who killed an innocent person should face such serious consequences.

And he was driving a "cage"!!!