PDA

View Full Version : Lauf Gravel Bikes

Cornfed
08-11-2017, 07:16 PM
Some interesting design choices here ...

https://shop.laufforks.com/product-category/bikes/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eddief
08-11-2017, 07:26 PM
wow.

https://shop.laufforks.com/product/lauf-tr29-xc-fork/

ColonelJLloyd
08-11-2017, 07:29 PM
Ugly and geo no good for me.

OtayBW
08-11-2017, 07:35 PM
Ugly and geo no good for me.
Geo bad juju....

R3awak3n
08-11-2017, 07:36 PM
laufin out loud :eek:

justaute
08-11-2017, 08:05 PM
What are the issues with geo? Too relaxed and long/low?

Cicli
08-11-2017, 08:08 PM
Are they any more affordable with the "$" at the end?

ColonelJLloyd
08-11-2017, 08:09 PM
What are the issues with geo? Too relaxed and long/low?

For my taste. And I could get away with a much lower BB.

geordanh
08-11-2017, 08:10 PM
I will go out on a limb and say that these are sweet bikes. BB is maybe on the high side, but as I've switched back and forth between different cross and road bikes, I've been disappointed by my ability to discern bb drop differences out on the road relative to my ability to complain loudly about geo on forums. Best looking implementation of these forks yet though they do look weird. Stays are short, angles slack, probably a blast to ride. Really want to try one of these forks sometime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justaute
08-11-2017, 11:35 PM
I can see that. Reach is definitely on the longer side, but may be ok for those with long torso; however, when combined with the long effective top tube, the overall all length is just too long.

Agreed on the BB drop. I'm designing an all-road bike that is around 75-77mm BB drop.

For my taste. And I could get away with a much lower BB.

geordanh
08-12-2017, 12:14 AM
Okay now I'm sold. Clearance for 45s! Wonder if horizons will fit in those rear stays... probably not but that would be sweet.

I kinda like the idea of a shorter stem just like all the hip mtbs these days.

Anyone want a stigmata?

ofcounsel
08-12-2017, 12:26 AM
I dig it. Interested in buying.

Louis
08-12-2017, 12:59 AM
I'd consider getting one, but the seat stays are way too fat for my tastes.

commonguy001
08-12-2017, 05:31 AM
I saw a picture of a demo that before pedals was 16.05 pounds. Super light even with that fork. Pretty sure the build was the race edition.

The only time I really notice the high BB on a bike in the 65-66mm drop range is when I'm sitting at a light and I have to get off the saddle where I don't have to with a bit more drop. I've also logged a good number of miles on longer TT designs with a shorter stem (Marin 4 corners elite) and I kind of like it. Not so sure about that HTA as I ride larger frames and haven't ever had one with less than 72 degree HTA. Trail numbers in the low 60s always feels about right for me.

William
08-12-2017, 07:49 AM
They don't look bad...if you can get past the fork aesthetics. But hey, if it rides nicely...

William

dvancleve
08-12-2017, 08:47 PM
They are very long in the small to medium sizes and they spec short stems. I suspect it is to reduce weight in the front end, maybe the fork works better that way? Also, the relatively lax seat tube angle effectively shortens the TT (still long though)...

happycampyer
08-12-2017, 10:04 PM
Am I mis-reading the geo chart, or is the only thing different between the "short" and "long" version in each size the length of the stem? It looks as if there are three frame sizes, and two stem lengths per size.

dvancleve
08-12-2017, 10:34 PM
Yup, that was my conclusion as well. Interesting that these things are from Iceland...

Am I mis-reading the geo chart, or is the only thing different between the "short" and "long" version in each size the length of the stem? It looks as if there are three frame sizes, and two stem lengths per size.

weiwentg
08-13-2017, 01:58 AM

I was wondering that as well. Reminds me of Giant, when they had 3 sizes. Giant could have avoided all the (well-deserved) criticism by ... selling two stem sizes per frame.

pasadena
08-13-2017, 06:45 PM
My friend has the Lauf fork on his 29er. It's good.
I think Lauf will find their niche with gravel and cx bikes, as well as 29er hardtails. It's the perfect application for it.

ragamuffin
08-13-2017, 10:39 PM
The aesthetics of these forks is growing on me and it seems like folks in general are pleased with them. This new one seems like a step in the right direction.

The frame is interesting, but I'm actually pretty disappointed by the sizing (which I should be used to now in general for the bike industry coming from a 5'4" guy...). A small with a 52 seat tube and a 55 top tube? They recommend this size for someone between 5'3" to 5'5"...seems a bit optimistic.

ColonelJLloyd
08-13-2017, 11:32 PM
My friend has the Lauf fork on his 29er. It's good.
I think Lauf will find their niche with gravel and cx bikes, as well as 29er hardtails. It's the perfect application for it.

I really like the idea of getting the Boost version for my titanium hardtail.