PDA

View Full Version : wheels of misfortune

thwart
08-11-2017, 05:34 PM
I know all of us are much more careful and thoughtful than the cyclists described in this story... but it's worth a read nonetheless.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/11/opinion/traffic-bike-laws.html

weisan
08-11-2017, 06:03 PM
The writer exercised great restraint. I am sorry for her loss.

54ny77
08-11-2017, 06:12 PM
Terrible tragedy. :(

paredown
08-12-2017, 06:46 AM
Read that and thought about posting.

I agree with the description of dangerous cyclists--what is left out is dangerous NYC pedestrians who assume their god-given right is to step of a curb any time, any place because hey, they're in a hurry. Jay-walking is an Olympic sport here, as is crossing against the lights.

The scariest part about riding in the city was the unpredictable pedestrians--who just like motorists--do not see bicycles. I used to come home down Broadway with the traffic, and on any given day I would have two or three encounters with pedestrians bolting off the curb right in front of me--meanwhile because of the slight downhill and adrenaline from dealing with cabs and traffic I was flying.

I don't mean to denigrate her personal tragedy--and Park Slope is full of asshole hipster bike riders who are dangerous to everyone else in their vicinity, but NYC pedestrians are absolutely the worst anywhere that I have ridden.

R3awak3n
08-12-2017, 07:06 AM
Speaking from experience, in 5 years of daily commuting in new york I have had the most problem with other cyclists, the pedestrians and lastly cars.

Cyclists here, specially in summer are a nightmare. Blowing red lights is nothing compares to some stuff I see being done, people have no ridding experience and then want to race everyone, recepy for disaster.

Pedestrians can be pretty bad too but I think if you are cautious and dont ride like an ahole you can avoid a lot of problems. Pedestrians are alow, cars can only go straight and turn slowly but other cyclists, they can turn quickly and fast.

Also if we compare amount of deaths and injuries of cyclists against cars in the city, we come to a conclusion that it is hardly a problem so although I do agree with this article in some ways, in others its just casting once again a bad name for us

Vientomas
08-12-2017, 07:22 AM
Sadly, the world in which we live requires hyper-vigilance to our surroundings at all rimes and you cannot reply upon others to do what they are required to do for your own safety.

For example, before proceeding though an intersection on a green light, I look both ways to esure cross traffic has stopped. I don't blindly barge into the intersection. Before crossing an intersection in a cross walk when I have the right of way, I look both ways before proceeding into the street to ensure there is no traffic. I don't blindly step out into the street. Before crossing railroad tracks with a crossing guard that is up, I look both ways to ensure no train is coming. Steets and railroad crossings can be death zones. I don't blindly cross them hoping for the best. Lights fail, crossing guards fail and humanity fails. You are the best protection for your own well being.

This comment is not meant to denigrate the writer or her departed mother, but rather to use the tragic event to illustrate that we all must constantly be aware of what is happening in our general vicinity when out in public. Obviously, a lapse in awareness can have dire consequences.