PDA

View Full Version : What is this K.Bedford worth?

ANAO
08-11-2017, 05:00 PM
A friend of mine had this made a couple of years ago (custom) and just had a baby which is forcing his hand to thin his heard. He offered it to me first and while the headtube is perfect, the top tube is almost a cm too short.

I'm trying to figure out how it'll ride with a 140.

Anyways, what's the frameset worth? Very minty, titanium frame, enve fork and full custom (for him). https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170811/1ce20802fc58741957394533d7d019d5.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170811/3d687440a3f4486f42cff1e2b9e7c9c7.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170811/32417a428e83cccb2e2f38f20045f0fc.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170811/3d6673ff7243f80e4e0989088b7ec016.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bruce K
08-11-2017, 05:25 PM
Zilch to you. The fit isn't right (always a concern buying/selling a used custom frame).

A 140 stem? Not for me.

BK

54ny77
08-11-2017, 05:26 PM
no idea what it's "worth" but that sure is a nice frame. :beer:

JasonF
08-11-2017, 05:28 PM
I just sold a stock-sized Vamoots frame/fork/headset and got 55% of retail MSRP. I sold a Seven Axiom and got around 45% of retail (maybe less, I can't remember). So for a full custom frame "sub 50% retail" seems to be a good ballpark.

velotrack
08-11-2017, 05:45 PM
Zilch to you. The fit isn't right (always a concern buying/selling a used custom frame).

A 140 stem? Not for me.

BK

i'm inclined to agree... but that frame is sweet. i'm sure it would find an owner here if you didn't want it.

rnhood
08-11-2017, 05:57 PM

A 140 stem? Not for me.

BK

Agree. That bike is just too small. There may be other areas that would be compromises also.

He should get a bike that fits, even if it's a $1k aluminum bike from Performance.

Clancy
08-11-2017, 06:09 PM
I just sold a stock-sized Vamoots frame/fork/headset and got 55% of retail MSRP. I sold a Seven Axiom and got around 45% of retail (maybe less, I can't remember). So for a full custom frame "sub 50% retail" seems to be a good ballpark.

I agree w/ above. Moots tends to command a higher price whereas others less. The issue comes about selling a custom build vs stock sizes. Sadly closer to 40% and perhaps lower.

I have a custom Ti frame (used to me) that is spot on with my custom SS frame - I got very lucky. But I doubt if I could get 1/3 of what it sold for new. If it was a stock size, in the 50% range.

Selling custom made frames gets tricky.

Hilltopperny
08-11-2017, 06:13 PM
The bike is gorgeous, but being custom limits the marketability. How tall is your friend and how much does he weigh? What are the dimensions of the bike?

rounder
08-11-2017, 09:46 PM
I don't know what it is worth but it looks like a ti bike with an enve fork.

I have a k. Bedford ti bike and it is super nice. Also have a k. Bedford steel bike that I like. No idea what the bikes are worth, but I like mine. If you like the bike and it fits you, could be a good deal.

FlashUNC
08-11-2017, 09:58 PM
One of the nicer looking Bedford's I've seen. Cool bike.

140 stem would look super pro.

beeatnik
08-11-2017, 10:36 PM
Let your friend set the price. If you need to pay true, fair market, buy a bike from a stranger.

jlwdm
08-11-2017, 10:49 PM
A friend of mine had this made a couple of years ago (custom) and just had a baby which is forcing his hand to thin his heard. He offered it to me first and while the headtube is perfect, the top tube is almost a cm too short.

1 cm is only about .4 inches so that is not far off. Different bars or shifters are going to make more difference than that. How are you figuring your 1 cm off? Are you comparing seat tube angles because different angles while change the effective top tube length?

Jeff

ColonelJLloyd
08-11-2017, 11:27 PM
1 cm is only about .4 inches so that is not far off. Different bars or shifters are going to make more difference than that. How are you figuring your 1 cm off? Are you comparing seat tube angles because different angles while change the effective top tube length?

Jeff

+1 I don't get how you can say the head tube is perfect, but the TT is short. These don't exist in a vacuum. And, as others have said, bars, stem angle, spacers, all that make the difference.

He's your friend. I'd let me friend put on his preferred seatpost, saddle, pedals and stem/spacers and ride it for a while. Start by comparing the contact points to your best fitting bike and go from there, right?

Let your friend set the price. If you need to pay true, fair market, buy a bike from a stranger.

Agreed.

d_douglas
08-11-2017, 11:27 PM
That's a great lo King Bedford! It's my size - buy it for me!

Mzilliox
08-11-2017, 11:33 PM
Sheesh, if it needs a home, im sure someone around here ;) would help a brotha out.

Mzilliox
08-11-2017, 11:34 PM
+1 I don't get how you can say the head tube is perfect, but the TT is short. These don't exist in a vacuum. And, as others have said, bars, stem angle, spacers, all that make the difference.

He's your friend. I'd let me friend put on his preferred seatpost, saddle, pedals and stem/spacers and ride it for a while. Start by comparing the contact points to your best fitting bike and go from there, right?

Agreed.

and i can't add much more than this!

Satellite
08-12-2017, 01:49 AM
Wow I just can't get used to those huge head tubes. Iam plenty happy with my tiny 1 1/8" head tube, 68mm threaded bottom brackets and 27.2 seatposts.

I do have a fondness for the painted Ti bikes and this is no exception. Love the paint.

I have seen some amazing frames go unsold on here that were super cheap deals. It's definitely a buyer's market right now. I keep telling myself and others that I simply cannot buy another road bike.

fuzzalow
08-12-2017, 08:25 AM

Can't just judge whether it is short in the top tube or not based simply on the spec of the TT length. How much room you have to work with to get to a possible reach from tip of the saddle to center of bars is defined by stem, saddle setback and bar drop. As seen in the photo, that frame is not yet at the limits of its range of adjustability.

The above answer not predicated on the method of fixed saddle setback copied from all of your frames i.e. "One saddle setback fits all" or "Lock 'n Rode".

How it might ride with a 140 is not dependent on the stem but rather on how you have setup into the bike.

Anyways, what's the frameset worth? Very minty, titanium frame, enve fork and full custom (for him).

beeatnik-pal gave you the answer. Never dicker about money between friends.

Blown Reek
08-12-2017, 09:57 AM
That doesn't look like an Enve fork.

ANAO
08-12-2017, 08:20 PM
My measurements actually land me pretty squarely within most manufacturer's 55-56 range. Setback @ 9 seems to be comfy for me with a 569 saddle tip to bar tip measurement and about 10cm of drop. That's about a 56 with a 120 -6 or so on a 160 headtube or a 55 with a 130 with the same size headtube.

This is a 54.3 with a 168 headtube (inclusive of the king hs). He asked for a racier, stiffer ride which ended up being too stiff, and a 73 STA which doesn't give me enough space to really stretch out before messing too much with my setback, which I don't want to do. Even though it's such a sweet bike.

Anyways, he threw out $2k as a starting point, not really going off anything else. I was going to float it around to some local (smaller) friends but wanted to make sure I had an accurate number to represent both shopper and seller.

So, is that high? I don't even know what these cost new.

Hilltopperny
08-12-2017, 09:27 PM
The market for most used bikes is quite soft, but 2k is about half retail and a good place to start. It's a ti Bedford with nice paint. I'd probably be interested in it at $1500 if I wasn't so overstocked with titanium bikes atm.

ANAO
08-12-2017, 10:33 PM
I feel like it would be a good fit for somebody who rode a 54 or 55 with a taller headtube, but must keep in mind that it was made very stiff. His instructions were: crit machine.

Of course he only races his caad10 and c60.