PDA

View Full Version : Finally got my team raleigh

CSi guy
09-06-2006, 04:42 PM
Well it has been approx. 20 years since my team raleigh bit the dust and I have been sad ever since. I just found one on ebay from a great seller and he lived 30 minutes away so I got to pick it up in person and see all the love that the bike had. I will be getting it back from the shop in several days and pics will follow. reynolds 531 red/yellow/black warpaint......campy sr/nr parts in excellent shape. I had the wheels rebuilt (5speed) with mavic relex tubis and will putting veloflex crit sewups on the steed. cinelli xa stem and giro cinelli bars. rolls saddle black and will be using the original pedals with straps. I feel like I just reattached with part of my past. I have not posted since my car/bike accident and have been busy and distracted. Riding up trail ridge road in Rocky mtn Natl part this sat. 20 plus miles at a nice incline. more to follow. If anyone else has one of these raleigh team frames I would like to see a picture. thanks

Kevin
09-06-2006, 05:34 PM
Great bike. I lost mine in the early 1980s.

Kevin

BoulderGeek
09-06-2006, 05:37 PM
Hey, that's sweet!

My first real road bike was a 1981 Raleigh Super Course 12, 531 DB, Suntour Superbe Pro, track pedals like yours, USCF Intermediate clinchers and limited gear cluster (15-23?).

I miss friction shifting on the downtube. It added another layer where your skill could enhance or your newb-ness could detract from the quality of your ride.

As Ms. Hilton would say, "That's hot!"

saab2000
09-06-2006, 05:53 PM
Cool. Now all you need are some Jan Raas glasses or Henk Lubberding hair!

Grant McLean
09-06-2006, 06:54 PM
Nice.

we're twins!

http://www.campyonly.com/retrobikes/2002/raleigh_pro.html

g

BoulderGeek
09-06-2006, 07:03 PM
Nice, Grant!

Nuovo Record was the shizzle.

steelrider
09-06-2006, 07:18 PM
Very elegant. Glad to hear that you're keeping such a lovely ride on the road.

kestrel
09-06-2006, 07:29 PM
Do these two count?

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e19/serotta/onesetoverhondacopy.jpg

Fixed
09-06-2006, 07:40 PM
g.m. bro where do you keep all those hot rods?
cheers

Joel
09-07-2006, 06:31 AM
CSI Guy,

I saw that one on E-bay and it looked like it is in fantastic condition. I am in the process (and its been a very slow process) of cleaning up and restoring my 1980 Team Raleigh.

I'm still debating having the frame repainted and re-decaled vs. just keeping all of the battle scars intact. Right now all of the equipment is completely disassembled so no pictures...just a lot of ziploc bags!

Given how little time I've had to work on it, I expect to have it done sometime over Christmas break and then will post pictures.

Have a blast taking yours on Trail Ridge Road! That is my all time #1 favorite ride.

Best,

Joel

Grant McLean
09-07-2006, 07:33 PM
g.m. bro where do you keep all those hot rods?
cheers

i've usually got something up my sleeve.

:)

g

Samster
09-07-2006, 10:53 PM
CSI Guy,

I saw that one on E-bay and it looked like it is in fantastic condition. I am in the process (and its been a very slow process) of cleaning up and restoring my 1980 Team Raleigh.

I'm still debating having the frame repainted and re-decaled vs. just keeping all of the battle scars intact. Right now all of the equipment is completely disassembled so no pictures...just a lot of ziploc bags!

Given how little time I've had to work on it, I expect to have it done sometime over Christmas break and then will post pictures.

Have a blast taking yours on Trail Ridge Road! That is my all time #1 favorite ride.

Best,

Joel
Joel: i used to chase that bike in college on my red melton. hard to accept that was 23 years ago... get that bike up and running... post some pics. it was good riding with you again a couple of months back.

MartyE
09-08-2006, 08:27 AM
Cool. Now all you need are some Jan Raas glasses or Henk Lubberding hair!

Or Joop Zoetemelk's signature on the top tube!
http://thumbs.marktplaats.nl/kopen/5/5e/78763493.jpg

marty

Joel
09-08-2006, 01:55 PM
Marty,

That is COOL! What is the rest of the bike look like? Team Raleigh or something else?

This thread has just reminded me that I have some vintage Team Raleigh posters stored...I'll see if I can get a pix over the weekend. Sam may remember a couple of them!

Joel