PDA

View Full Version : Nice Eurobike summary

rpm
09-06-2006, 02:56 PM
Competitive Cyclist has a nice, in-depth review of the recent Eurobike show:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=WHATS_NEW

Note to Pegoretti fans: Start saving up for your new stainless steel Peg.

Fixed
09-06-2006, 03:05 PM
old world master goes stainless and almost tubular tires, I got it cool
cheers

Serotta PETE
09-06-2006, 03:10 PM
Thanks..very good read...PETE

saab2000
09-06-2006, 03:31 PM
I took a part of my European flight test in Friedrichshafen, Germany. Very nice place on the other side of the Bodensee (Lake Konstanz).

Always wanted to see the bike show, but never did. The riding around the Bodensee on all sides is beyond superbe.

Ray
09-06-2006, 03:50 PM
Regarding the new wireless power meter, "for those of us who detest seeing wires splayed over an otherwise pro-looking bike, it's a godsend since training with power (or just riding with power for that matter) makes cycling a whole lot more fun unless you're just pedaling to the grocery store -- in which case foregoing power data is acceptable."

I've wasted the last ten years of my life. I had no idea that just 'riding with power (meter)' was the key to having fun on a bike. I'll be sure to run right out and buy one. I'm sure they're very useful training tools for those training for something specific, but they make RIDING more fun? Stuff like that sours me on what was otherwise a pretty interesting read about all of the new toys out there.

-Ray

saab2000
09-06-2006, 03:58 PM
I've wasted the last ten years of my life. I had no idea that just 'riding with power (meter)' was the key to having fun on a bike. I'll be sure to run right out and buy one. I'm sure they're very useful training tools for those training for something specific, but they make RIDING more fun? Stuff like that sours me on what was otherwise a pretty interesting read about all of the new toys out there.

-Ray

Just marketing blathering. Fuhgetaboutit. I once fell for the heart rate monitor thing. When I raced in Switzerland we all rode with them and everyone just wanted to compare their own to everyone elses pulse. Mine was always higher.... It was frustrating. So I got rid of the thing. Polar laughed all the way to the bank.

It would be fun to see the power meter thing but then I would quit cycling when I would see how pathetic my output really is! :beer:

The fewer gadgets the more pure and more fun it is.

Fixed
09-06-2006, 08:13 PM
Just marketing blathering. Fuhgetaboutit. I once fell for the heart rate monitor thing. When I raced in Switzerland we all rode with them and everyone just wanted to compare their own to everyone elses pulse. Mine was always higher.... It was frustrating. So I got rid of the thing. Polar laughed all the way to the bank.

It would be fun to see the power meter thing but then I would quit cycling when I would see how pathetic my output really is! :beer:

The fewer gadgets the more pure and more fun it is.
amen bro
cheers

Avispa
09-07-2006, 12:03 AM
Actually, the picture that stayed in my mind was the one I added here. I love the way Europeans share their open space... Lots of places to walk and sit and have some coffee by the water.

But, I am dissapointed at how we have screwed up our cities in America... They are all so much designed for the car! Here were I live in So. Florida, a lot of the prime coastal areas are not accessible to pedestrians or bicycles, but to private land owners! What a shame!

gdw
09-07-2006, 12:26 AM
"Actually, the picture that stayed in my mind was the one I added here. I love the way Europeans share their open space... Lots of places to walk and sit and have some coffee by the water.

But, I am dissapointed at how we have screwed up our cities in America... They are all so much designed for the car! Here were I live in So. Florida, a lot of the prime coastal areas are not accessible to pedestrians or bicycles, but to private land owners! What a shame!"

Travel outside of Florida and you'll see plenty of open space and cities which weren't built around automobiles. Boston might be a good place to start your education. Rent a car and drive around the downtown awhile during rush hour and then see if you still believe that our cities are designed around automobiles. When you've had enough of the bean town head north and check out the state of Maine. Lots of places to walk and sit and have some coffee by the water. The cycling along the coast is quite nice as well but you'll need a power meter to really enjoy it.:banana:

Climb01742
09-07-2006, 04:35 AM
perhaps the key to most of europe not being designed around the car is that, well, most of europe was built hundreds of years before the car was invented. ;) but i share your fondness for walkable cities. america's best example of a walkable city may be new york, manhattan anyway.

Ray
09-07-2006, 05:56 AM
As Climb says, depends on when the area developed. Lots and lots of cities and small towns in America are very walkable with lots of sidewalks, sidewalk cafes and great outdoor spaces. The areas have been adapted to acommodate the auto somewhat, but are still really great functional places for other users. I live in a small colonial town that's a wonderful example of this. But most American suburbs developed after WWII and were designed from the ground up around the automobile. And most of 'em suck for anything else. And we're seeing the societal costs every day in traffic jams, dirty air, global warming, obesity ('cause you can't go ANYWHERE without getting in your car), even social alienation.

You can judge a place by the size of its signs. In planning, we refer to the speed that a sign was designed to be seen at. You have your 60 mph signs that are huge, loud, screaming signs designed to be seen from high speed roadways. You have 30-40 mph signs which are only slightly smaller and are plastered all over the burbs, and you have your urban 5-10 mile signs which are hard to catch from an automobile at all (unless it's stopped at a light) but is sized and designed to be seen by pedestrians. Generally not much more than 1x3 feet or so, hanging near a doorway or under an awning. Good shorthand for the whole design orientation of an area.

-Ray

saab2000
09-07-2006, 09:46 AM
Minneapolis/St. Paul is the best city in the US for cycling that I am aware of. Or at least that is my experience. But even it pales in comparison to European cities. Zurich is the most bike friendly place I know of, though there are probably others like it. There is lots of traffic, but there are tons of bike lanes and tons of laws which favor cyclists and pedestrians. Difference of mentality, where cycling is seen as something clean and helping to alleviate traffic problems. In the US cyclists are seen as pansy PITA obstacles in the road, even in bike friendly places.

Maybe Madison, WI is even better than Minneapolis/St. Paul, but among big urban areas, MSP is pretty good.

rpm
09-07-2006, 09:55 AM
Minneapolis/St. Paul is the best city in the US for cycling that I am aware of.

I'll second that! The only problem is the 4-5 months of snow, ice, dark, and narrowed roads. But with global warming, our winters are getting more like those in St. Louis. If we get another warm one, I may take back my vow not to ride in the winter--the one that I made to my wife and doctor after I took out my collarbone on some glare ice. :)

Avispa
09-07-2006, 10:24 AM
...Rent a car and drive around the downtown awhile during rush hour and then see if you still believe that our cities are designed around automobiles....

Say what???? drive around, yikes! I've been to Boston, I just didn't see a whole lot of places to walk AND ride by the coast! other than the concentrated areas for shopping and eating, but not riding.

...When you've had enough of the bean town head north and check out the state of Maine. Lots of places to walk and sit and have some coffee by the water. The cycling along the coast is quite nice as well but you'll need a power meter to really enjoy it...

Damn! I wonder if a heart rate monitor will be as fun! Oh, well... :D ;)

bironi
09-07-2006, 10:47 AM
I would add Vancouver, BC to the list of best cycling/pedestrian cities in North America.

72gmc
09-07-2006, 11:44 AM
add portland, oregon to the list. a very friendly city for the not-car-inclined. soooo much better now than it was when i was a kid, visiting family.

on a eurobike-related note: saw the new hope headlights on cyclingnews this morning. why does their helmet mount look like another clunky metal pedestal, jury-rigged with a velcro strap? because it is? i look at the dinotte helmet mount and it's curved like a helmet, looking like it won't rattle or wobble when riding--imagine! sometimes smart is cooler than cool.

RPS
09-07-2006, 03:43 PM
This design at Eurobike caught my eye.

Grant McLean
09-07-2006, 03:59 PM
on a eurobike-related note: saw the new hope headlights on cyclingnews this morning. why does their helmet mount look like another clunky metal pedestal, jury-rigged with a velcro strap? because it is? i look at the dinotte helmet mount and it's curved like a helmet, looking like it won't rattle or wobble when riding--imagine! sometimes smart is cooler than cool.

I can't believe that Giro or/and Bell have not put a threaded insert on their
MTB helmets that will hold a light. The light guys could make a break-away
plastic mount, and you're set.

g

1centaur
09-07-2006, 06:29 PM
The only thing that bugs me about Brendan's write-up is that he threw Castelli into his list of walking dead Italian brands. Like Castelli stuff (as I do - stratosheer makes for a great jacket and my bibs, gloves and booties have all been excellent; jerseys too) or not (jerk), they still have plenty of high profile distribution (Colorado Cyclist, World Cycling Productions) and continue to bring out both fashion and technical pieces. Don't seem walking dead to me.

Marcusaurelius
09-07-2006, 07:19 PM
I would add Vancouver, BC to the list of best cycling/pedestrian cities in North America.

A record number of pedestrians were killed by motorists this year. Of course there's been many hit and run accidents involving cars, bikes and pedestrians. It has some cycling routes but there are usually clogged with cars especially the good ones.

I wouldn't rate Vancouver too high on the list, it's still dominated by automobiles and the traffic only gets worse every year.

obtuse
09-08-2006, 07:56 AM
The only thing that bugs me about Brendan's write-up is that he threw Castelli into his list of walking dead Italian brands. Like Castelli stuff (as I do - stratosheer makes for a great jacket and my bibs, gloves and booties have all been excellent; jerseys too) or not (jerk), they still have plenty of high profile distribution (Colorado Cyclist, World Cycling Productions) and continue to bring out both fashion and technical pieces. Don't seem walking dead to me.

the new line of castelli clothing looks fantastic. i've been unimpressed in recent years; at least compared to giordana and assos but the new stuff (or at least the samples i've got,) are top notch.

obtuse

csm
09-08-2006, 08:05 AM
greater Des Moines seems to be heading in the right direction with bike and pedestrian friendly thinking. they have a nice bike trail and a town center in one of the new areas. shops and what not connected by trails. of course, there's a 5 lane highway leading to it....