PDA

View Full Version : 30mm BSA Bottom Bracket Options?

exapkib
08-10-2017, 08:24 AM
I'm on the verge of buying the Praxis M30 bottom bracket to use their Zayante cranks on a new build, but I have no experience with this 'family' of bottom brackets.

My frame has a good old-fashioned English threaded bottom bracket. Is the Praxis bottom bracket the best choice for running a crank with a 30mm spindle in a threaded bottom bracket shell? Are there other options I should be considering?

Thanks in advance!

hollowgram5
08-10-2017, 08:29 AM
I've got one of the Praxis Turn cranksets. I really like it. I've had it in both my Koga MAX frame and my Holland. They are a great option for the $$$ in my opinion.

Others? Rotor, SRAM, FSA, White industries come to mind first.

jtbadge
08-10-2017, 08:34 AM
I ran an BSA FSA MegaEvo with SRAM Force 22 BB30 cranks for a long time. Totally invisible, and one of (if not the most) affordable options.

exapkib
08-10-2017, 09:37 AM
Looks like prices have changed enough that the Praxis bottom bracket is even cheaper than the FSA most places. Unless someone has some really negative experience with this bottom bracket (the Praxis M30), I think it's the one I'll buy.

Gummee
08-10-2017, 09:38 AM
Rotor makes a BB that'll fit BSA to 30mm spindles too

HTH

M

FriarQuade
08-10-2017, 09:41 AM
If you go the Praxis route, get their proprietary tool.

On that note, oversized threaded bottom brackets are the biggest disaster in tool fitments in the industry. There's no fewer than 9 different tools for essentially the same part so buyer be ware. This is what happens when one of the big guys doesn't go first I guess.

PepeM
08-10-2017, 09:42 AM
Doesn't Praxis claim that the M30 is to be used just with their cranks, and their cranks should only be used with the M30? At least that's what I remember.

I used that combination in the past. They are good cranks. In fact, I still have the cranks (no chainrings, 175mm) and bottom bracket, both for threaded and BB30 if anyone is interested.

RobJ
08-10-2017, 10:04 AM
I have used the Rotor in the past and it has worked well. No issues. For the reverse, PF30 BB to standard BSA threading, I have used the Praxis with all varieties of cranks and it is an excellent solution.

nicrump
08-10-2017, 10:10 AM
If you go the Praxis route, get their proprietary tool.

On that note, oversized threaded bottom brackets are the biggest disaster in tool fitments in the industry. There's no fewer than 9 different tools for essentially the same part so buyer be ware. This is what happens when one of the big guys doesn't go first I guess.

are you saying there are 9 diff vendors for the same tool or 9 different cutting profiles for the same... what are you saying?

edit, i guess you are talking about the bb install tools...

commonguy001
08-10-2017, 10:21 AM
Doesn't Praxis claim that the M30 is to be used just with their cranks, and their cranks should only be used with the M30? At least that's what I remember.

Correct - the Praxis M30 bottom bracket and their Turn cranks or whatever model someone is looking at need to be used together.
The Drive side is 30mm while the non drive side is stepped down to 28mm so you're locked into their parts.

exapkib
08-10-2017, 10:23 AM
Correct - the Praxis M30 bottom bracket and their Turn cranks or whatever model someone is looking at need to be used together.
The Drive side is 30mm while the non drive side is stepped down to 28mm so you're locked into their parts.

Well that would make the 'decision' easy!

commonguy001
08-10-2017, 10:27 AM
Well that would make the 'decision' easy!

Totally!

Saying that, I am using the Zayante with 4iiii crankset on my threaded Vamoots and it's been a good crank. I like their rings and they are really stiff cranks. I would buy again if I needed another set.

hollowgram5
08-10-2017, 10:31 AM
Totally!

Saying that, I am using the Zayante with 4iiii crankset on my threaded Vamoots and it's been a good crank. I like their rings and they are really stiff cranks. I would buy again if I needed another set.How's the performance of the 4iiii been? I've considered one, as the pricing is pretty reasonable.

Sorry for the aside OP!

exapkib
08-10-2017, 10:51 AM
How's the performance of the 4iiii been? I've considered one, as the pricing is pretty reasonable.

Sorry for the aside OP!

Who needs to apologize for eliciting useful, relevant information? Nobody!

commonguy001
08-10-2017, 11:03 AM
How's the performance of the 4iiii been? I've considered one, as the pricing is pretty reasonable.

Sorry for the aside OP!

It's been rock solid. I have around 1500 miles on it and get consistent numbers out of it and the offset hasn't ever changed from the value it came with. It also tracks within a watt or two of my Kickr trainer on any efforts where I've compared the two data points.

Overall I'd say it's a winner if your leg balance is fairly equal which mine has always been. For the money it's the best thing going IMO.

Rob1519
08-10-2017, 11:35 AM
I have been happy with the Wheels Manufacturing option for 30mm-BSA.

http://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/threaded-bb/bsa-threaded-bottom-brackets/threaded-to-30mm-angular-contact-bb-black.html