PDA

View Full Version : Old Style Chamois?

pncguy
08-09-2017, 03:02 PM
I have four pairs of shorts. Two are Pearl Izumi from about 1990. Two are PI and Performance from last month.

I love the old style chamois, which is just a couple of mm thick and uniform through the padded area. On rides over about 60 miles, the saddle starts being "hard" but I don't have chafing problems.

With the newer styles, I always feel like I'm wearing a diaper. Yeah, the saddle is soft from start to finish on any ride, but on longer rides I now chafe, where I never did with the old shorts.

I can't seem to find any shorts with minimal padding and just high quality chamois. Any suggestions?

08-09-2017, 04:28 PM
Shorts from 1990? Ewwww.

For thin pads (I won't even call them chamois), just get the racing bibs. In Castelli they are perhaps a quarter inch thick and as soon as you sit on them, they get thinner. Giordana Reds have very thin pads. They're not hard to find but they're from the end of the product line of most manufacturers that your typical local shop doesn't stock. You may be on Assos or lookalikes, that have about an inch and a half of fluff down there on the more consumer versions. You certainly don't want to go back to natural chamois; pads are so much better as long as you handle them right.

FlashUNC
08-09-2017, 04:33 PM
How are your 1990 shorts not completely transparent by now?

pncguy
08-09-2017, 04:41 PM
I didn't ride much from 1992 until 2016.

Alan
08-09-2017, 04:44 PM
Ck out:

http://www.boure.com/shortsmen.html

They have some "old style" shorts but not back to the 70s.

Alan

El Chaba
08-10-2017, 06:53 AM
For thin, traditional style chamois it's tough to beat anything by Nalini with one of their chamois with "PTN" in the designation. That is their thin pad material that mimics real chamois but is synthetic and much easier to care for.

Timdog
08-10-2017, 07:40 AM
I actually still have a couple pair of wool Protog's that I wear on occasion. My friend did mention that they are getting kind of thin. I told him to ride in front of me!!
Tim

Black Dog
08-10-2017, 07:48 AM
Chamois Cream?

thwart
08-10-2017, 07:53 AM
For thin, traditional style chamois it's tough to beat anything by Nalini with one of their chamois with "PTN" in the designation. That is their thin pad material that mimics real chamois but is synthetic and much easier to care for.

This. Good stuff.