PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo C17 external rim width?

phcollard
08-09-2017, 10:17 AM
Hey guys!

I *might* convert one of my road bikes to Campagnolo. After years of Sram I finally saw the light haha :D :D :D

I need to know first the external rim width of the C17 rims (on Zondas) because the fork on that frame takes a 23mm tire max. For some reason this information is hard to find. Right now it's running Michelin Pro4 23mm on a Kinlin XR-270 alright. 25mm is too tight.

Also I am considering an Athena groupset. Good choice? I don't race, in fact I'm kinda slow. What I'm looking for is comfort, reliability, and more or less traditional aesthetics (ruling out anything new generation Shimano).

Thanks!

acarvalho
08-09-2017, 10:27 AM
Man, thé new

Enviado de meu Moto G (4) usando Tapatalk

lhuerta
08-09-2017, 10:28 AM
22.5mm external width ...see: https://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/035_2349_Catalogue_wheels_Campagnolo_2017.pdf

acarvalho
08-09-2017, 10:30 AM
Sorry, posted without meaning. The Athena group is an excellent choice. But the Potenza group seems to.have the right caractheriscs of the higher-priced groups for a lower price. But with Athena you are not going to be wrong.

Enviado de meu Moto G (4) usando Tapatalk

p nut
08-09-2017, 11:00 AM
I am picking up some Zonda C17 wheels. Seems like a great bargain (purchased on PBK. Let me know if you need a referral code for 10% off. Mine came to $335). I am also getting into Campag drivetrain as well. I purchased the Potenza groupset from Merlin a few weeks ago. I like the fact the cranks are self-extracting.

For tires, you may have to look at some undersized 23's. Probably something like Veloflex Masters (I had 25's that measured more like 23 on Open Pro's).

gfk_velo
08-09-2017, 01:38 PM
Hey guys!

I *might* convert one of my road bikes to Campagnolo. After years of Sram I finally saw the light haha :D :D :D

I need to know first the external rim width of the C17 rims (on Zondas) because the fork on that frame takes a 23mm tire max. For some reason this information is hard to find. Right now it's running Michelin Pro4 23mm on a Kinlin XR-270 alright. 25mm is too tight.

Also I am considering an Athena groupset. Good choice? I don't race, in fact I'm kinda slow. What I'm looking for is comfort, reliability, and more or less traditional aesthetics (ruling out anything new generation Shimano).

Thanks!

Rim over braking surface width is 23 mm on Zonda C17.
For some reason there's a small disagreement between the tech docs and the catalogue.

You can see the spec in the tech documentation at www.campagnolo.com - go to:
Support, Documentation, Spare Parts Catalogue 2017, Part C.

C17 should take a 25c minimum according to the ETRTO, who specify tyre and rim specifications to avoid the danger of tyres & rims parting company. Campag rims are generally made with an extremely strict adherence to the ETRTO specification.

The key concern on forks etc is that there is an absolute minimum of 2 mm gap between the tyre when fully inflated and any fixed part of the frame or other piece of equipment, so brake stirrups, fenders, fork blades, chainstays, etc.

phcollard
08-09-2017, 01:45 PM
Thanks all.

Mmmm... So Campagnolo recommends NOT to use 23mm tires on those rims?

Mark McM
08-09-2017, 01:53 PM

If your fork can only fit 23mm tires on a Kinlin XR-270 (inner width 13.9mm) and not a 25mm, there is no way that you'll be able to fit a 23mm tire with a C17 rim (inner width 17mm). The extra width of the rim will expand a 23mm tire out about as wide as a 25mm tire on the XR-270 rim. See the diagram below, which shows that a 23mm tire on a 13.4mm rim is a fair bit wider than a 25mm tire on a 17.6mm rim

http://www.slowtwitch.com/articles/images/3/86683-largest_Comparison_small.jpg

As recommended above, if you want to use C17 rims, you'll have to use a tire less than 23mm. Or get a new fork.

AngryScientist
08-09-2017, 01:53 PM
Thanks all.

Mmmm... So Campagnolo recommends NOT to use 23mm tires on those rims?

dont worry about that nonsense. 23c tires are fine on those rims.

phcollard
08-09-2017, 04:01 PM
If your fork can only fit 23mm tires on a Kinlin XR-270 (inner width 13.9mm) and not a 25mm, there is no way that you'll be able to fit a 23mm tire with a C17 rim (inner width 17mm). The extra width of the rim will expand a 23mm tire out about as wide as a 25mm tire on the XR-270 rim. See the diagram below, which shows that a 23mm tire on a 13.4mm rim is a fair bit wider than a 25mm tire on a 17.6mm rim

As recommended above, if you want to use C17 rims, you'll have to use a tire less than 23mm. Or get a new fork.

Thanks a lot for the info. I guess you just saved me the expense of new wheels that won't fit. I'll double check with my fork just to make sure, but it looks like I'm gonna get some Record hubs and built a new pair of wheels with Kinlin rims.

Cheers :beer:

p nut
08-09-2017, 05:22 PM
Thanks a lot for the info. I guess you just saved me the expense of new wheels that won't fit. I'll double check with my fork just to make sure, but it looks like I'm gonna get some Record hubs and built a new pair of wheels with Kinlin rims.

Cheers :beer:

I believe someone was selling some Shamal wheelset here (C15), which might work better for you.

EDIT: Here it is

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=207251&highlight=shamal

Big Dan
08-09-2017, 06:32 PM
I don't even like 25's on my C17 Zondas.
28's for me.

:D