PDA

View Full Version : Helmet expiration?

DavidC
08-08-2017, 05:58 PM
Does anyone know if there is any real data about helmets losing functionality over time? Giro, for example, recommends replacing the helmet after 3 years. For most companies, it seems like "3-5 years" is a common time frame. After 5 years, does the styrofoam break down enough to not reliably protect one's head? Is the recommended replacement date purely a sales tactic?

To repeat: I'd love some real information, if anyone knows of any. I'm sure we all have our own anecdotal experiences, but a scientific study that actually arrives at a conclusion would be great.

pasadena
08-08-2017, 06:23 PM
Possibly the combination of heat, uv and sweat would eventually damage the foam and or straps. But... I think most just change because of fashion or boredom before it is an issue to worry about

Here's a little reading
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/bike-helmets/buying-guide.htm
http://www.helmets.org/replace.htm

Veloo
08-08-2017, 06:34 PM
Wasn't there a study that came out a couple years ago talking about how the integrity of the foam didn't degrade over years of use?

Ken Robb
08-08-2017, 08:16 PM
I've had a few helmets where the soft foam inserts that are used to customize the "fit" fell apart so I had to replace the helmets whether the structural foam was good or not.

berserk87
08-08-2017, 08:25 PM
Wasn't there a study that came out a couple years ago talking about how the integrity of the foam didn't degrade over years of use?

Yes there was. It was reprinted via a bunch of cycling websites. The gist of the article was that old helmets showed virtually no difference in a crash than brand new ones. I'm simplifying, but that's the angle.

peanutgallery
08-08-2017, 08:33 PM
I wouldn't use a lid that has been in the rotation for more than 3 years due to UV rays, damage from getting kicked around the gearbag etc and just plain smelling

There are some cheapskates on here that are still re-using the condom that they used on their prom night (allegedly) and they will tell you that their early 90's, Specialized Sub-6 is just fine and the LBS is attempting to rip them off by suggesting that it is no longer serviceable. Don't be that guy.

The lifespan suggestion given by the manufacturer of 3-5 years sounds extremely reasonable to me. But hey, it's your brain

berserk87
08-08-2017, 08:44 PM
Here are a few links, courtesy of The Google:

http://www.helmets.org/replace.htm

http://www.meaforensic.com/forensic-engineering-expert-witness/blog/when-should-i-replace-my-helmet

The 2nd link is for the study that I had in mind.

Drmojo
08-08-2017, 08:48 PM
same life span carbon?
same risks ensue:eek:

mgordon
08-08-2017, 08:48 PM
I replace mine roughly every 5 years. It's not worth the risk.

DavidC
08-08-2017, 09:21 PM
http://www.meaforensic.com/forensic-engineering-expert-witness/blog/when-should-i-replace-my-helmet

The 2nd link is for the study that I had in mind.

Thank you, that's the sort of thing I was thinking of. Part of the reason for the initial question was about buying "new old stock" of helmets. Some bike shops, particularly larger ones, will have sale helmets that are only on sale because they're last year's colors. At my local shop last week I saw a Giro helmet that I like for roughly half off, and the manufacture date was late 2014. According to this article, and the ones a couple people here referenced from cycling sites from a couple years ago, this example I gave would be a perfectly usable helmet (assuming the shop didn't store it in a barrel of acid or in a 400° oven over the years).

peanutgallery
08-08-2017, 09:26 PM
But how would you really know:)

Thank you, that's the sort of thing I was thinking of. Part of the reason for the initial question was about buying "new old stock" of helmets. Some bike shops, particularly larger ones, will have sale helmets that are only on sale because they're last year's colors. At my local shop last week I saw a Giro helmet that I like for roughly half off, and the manufacture date was late 2014. According to this article, and the ones a couple people here referenced from cycling sites from a couple years ago, this example I gave would be a perfectly usable helmet (assuming the shop didn't store it in a barrel of acid or in a 400° oven over the years).

berserk87
08-09-2017, 09:13 AM
But how would you really know:)

Do you work for a company that manufactures helmets?

Mark McM
08-09-2017, 09:17 AM
Do you work for a company that manufactures helmets?

I think he was just being facetious. Just like the question below is totally facetious:

The 2nd study linked above shows data for the attenuation tests of helmets of various ages. The best attenuation values in the study appears to be for helmets that are 6 to 7 years old - does that mean we should age our helmets, just like we used to be told that we should age our tubular tires?

blood
08-10-2017, 02:17 PM
In my personal experience and since I ride 10-16 hours a week I change every season or year. This is due to sweat, my helmet banging around in my race day bag, UV damage, dropping my helmet in front of coffee shops like an idiot and other misc. abuse. I've woken up in a hospital before and I don't take chances when it comes to my brain. I usually get hooked up with a helmet at the start of each season, but even if I didn't and I had to shoulder my bike expenses this is one expense I would not cheap out on.

Seramount
08-10-2017, 03:11 PM
my helmets are stored indoors under climate-controlled conditions for most of their service life.

the ambient air temperatures they experience on rides are pretty tame...30-100F +/-.

the impact-absorbing foam is covered by a plastic shell, so it's not getting all that much UV exposure.

sweat doesn't seem like it would be all that detrimental to the chemical composition of the foam and it gets rinsed off on a frequent basis.

don't see any reason to retire one until it sustains a significant impact. then, even if there's no visible damage, I'll bin it.

classtimesailer
08-10-2017, 03:18 PM
I was getting a crash replacement a while back and got to talk with helmet company guy with his guard down and he told me that 10 year old helmets have passed the "test".

redir
08-10-2017, 03:32 PM
I just slather Bull Frog SPF 50 all over mine. Problem solved.

Mark McM
08-10-2017, 04:43 PM
In my personal experience and since I ride 10-16 hours a week I change every season or year. This is due to sweat, my helmet banging around in my race day bag, UV damage, dropping my helmet in front of coffee shops like an idiot and other misc. abuse. I've woken up in a hospital before and I don't take chances when it comes to my brain. I usually get hooked up with a helmet at the start of each season, but even if I didn't and I had to shoulder my bike expenses this is one expense I would not cheap out on.

But even with a new helmet every year, how do you know that you are getting the best possible head protection? While all helmets must pass a minimum impact test (and this test is very minimal), surely not all helmets will have identical protection - some must be better than others.

Why is information on which helmets give better protection not available? If one wanted to know which automobiles have the best impact protection, one can look at the NHTSA or IIHS crash test results. Shouldn't relative level of safety be a selling point, that manufacturers can use to convince consumers to buy their helmets, and not a competitors?

The only place I've seen any publicly published data on helmet impact tests is in Consumer Reports, which conducts their own independent testing. And these show that not all helmets are the same - some are better than others (I'd provide a link to the test results, but they are behind a pay wall). These tests show that impact protection and cost are not directly related - more expensive helmets may give better styling, better ventilation, and/or more fit adjustments, but they don't necessarily give better impact protection (and in fact, usually don't).