cnighbor1
08-08-2017, 05:45 PM
OT Subaru serious oil leaks
Anyone had these engine oil leaks and what was the outcome
Thanks
Charles

I was in Albany CA today at my PT place
Across the street is the Albany Ford Subaru service shop
A young mechanic was on my side of the street at their service lot for storing cars while being serviced
I asked him which was better Ford or Subaru
About the same he stated
But he mentions Subaru's having oil leaks which they can't figure out the source of
He stated when they get the oil leak the solution is too install a short block
I next got to SF by bike BART and bike in SF
to my car mechanic shop
I mentioned the above to him
He said he had done just that to a 2006 Subaru
$4250
Motto but another make
Charles

ultraman6970
08-08-2017, 07:27 PM
I dont have a subaru but they are famous for having a leaking head gasket around 80.000 + miles. The cost of the repair bill is big because the dudes need to take the engine out. But depending on the year looks like is posible to do it at home w/o removing the engine (check you tube), I was checking out Station wagons and found the video of thet guy that did the job at home and why it happens. Looks like subaru put like 5 bolts to hold the 2 halfs of the engine instead of 6.

A friend in my country what he did with the legacy he had tricked was to buy a head gasket made of metal, those will last a lot more time. I got him the gasket from a company that specialize in metal gaskets but they need the engine model, they dont go for brand and car model. So far today have not heard that the gasket died and this was like 10 years ago.

Mikej
08-08-2017, 07:32 PM
The older models- current 2015+ don't seem to have an oil leak problem. I frequent the outback forum, worst thing n the new gen 5 seems to be it doesn't drive like my Lexus...

Veloo
08-08-2017, 07:35 PM
I have a 2013 Impreza. Been fighting the oil thing for 4 years. I think it's finally fixed.

Class actions in the USA and Canada.

Here's a bit of info to start. Just gotta pop out but can write more if you need it.

https://www.cars.com/articles/2011-15-subaru-oil-consumption-update-1420683845519/

MattTuck
08-08-2017, 08:12 PM
My understanding is that the last generation of imprezas and crosstreks began using some thin weight oil that was gaining traction in japan. The engines had issues with this.

I don't think the outbacks have had such a problem, though they are now on a synthetic oil from the get go.

cmbicycles
08-08-2017, 08:26 PM
I have an 02 Outback, I guess I'm exempt from oil leaks due to age.

JAGI410
08-08-2017, 09:08 PM
My 04 Forester had a valve cover leak. Took 2 hours to fix and was maybe $20 in parts.

Not being able to find an oil leak, and suggesting an engine replacement, would be a sign to run to a better mechanic.

Ken Robb
08-08-2017, 09:39 PM
My 04 Forester had a valve cover leak. Took 2 hours to fix and was maybe $20 in parts.

Not being able to find an oil leak, and suggesting an engine replacement, would be a sign to run to a better mechanic.
Yeah, but if the oil is seeping through a porous engine block it might be hard to find the source and impossible to seal it. I don't know why the blocks are faulty and being replaced so I was just guessing here.

Louis
08-08-2017, 09:52 PM
No real issues with my 2014 Impreza.

As Matt says, they use 0-20 synthetic, which at room temperature is about as thin as water. At first it would be about 3/4 qt low before it was time to change the oil, but I don't know if that was due to the long time between oil changes (6500 miles is the figure that comes to my head) or due to the engine burning, leaking, or otherwise loosing the oil. Either way, it hasn't been a big deal. Furthermore, lately it hasn't seemed to be using the oil as much as it used to. I just checked last night and the oil level is a bit over half-way between the marks on the dipstick and I'm about 2k from my next change.

Bottom line: for me it hasn't been a big deal.

Edit: I think I'm at around 72k miles on the car.

08-08-2017, 11:10 PM
It's a reported problem in older Subarus, but afaik is now supposed to be fixed. Subaru, to their credit, has generally been willing to extend warranties to deal with it. The problem, as I understand it, has not to do with porous engine blocks but with a combination of gasket mating surfaces that didn't, and mounting pinions that allowed the block to flex slightly. New gaskets helped but didn't eliminate the problem. Even with similar blocks it didn't affect all Subaru models to the same degree.

I have to say, I've had HPFPs blow on BMWs for years, diesel and suspension failures on Ford Super Duties, pretty much everything on Jags, serious problems with everything on some higher-end Mercedes, and so on. As they go, I think Subarus statistically do as well as comparable Toyotas, Hondas, and so on, and better on many other measures. You can't get away from all problems. And I had a couple Subaru mechanics I respect tell me that when they had leaking problems, they were typically in cars that didn't get maintained properly. Subarus need religious oil changes at short intervals, and Subaru I believe now mandates synthetic oils. Little things that help keep a block from going over the line and misbehaving. Someone may know a lot more, but I have a couple Subarus and have had no problems.

ORMojo
08-08-2017, 11:27 PM
We have had 5 Subaru Foresters, all purchased new, starting in 97/98. Currently own a 2014, and am excited about the all-new 2019 model just now being spied in public (although the new Ascent is also intriguing).

During the past 20 years we have also, concurrent with the Forester(s), had a RAV4, a Rabbit, an Accord, a Volvo, and now a Highlander Hybrid . . . I think that's it.

Guess why the Forester has remained the one constant? Reliability, versatility, and many other reasons. Although, the recently acquired new Highlander Hybrid is looking pretty good so far!

When we traded in the 2004 Forester, the dealer mentioned that he would need to replace the head gasket. Being well aware of the issue with that generation's head gasket, I responded "but you will be comped by Subaru, or I'll ask them - firmly - to replace it for me, and then I'll trade it to you." At which point he immediately increased his trade-in offer by $2k.

As has already been said, there were issues, which we fortunately avoided, but all reports I've seen so far indicate it is not an issue with current/recent models.

arazate
08-09-2017, 05:35 AM
I've owned two outbacks, my last was a 2013 that at about 80k started burning about 2 quarts every 4k miles. Subaru corporate has been playing games with this issue for a while. With my vehicle at about 100k I decided to trade it in for a Toyota. Checking my oil at every gas stop seemed utterly ridiculous to me.

Mr. Pink
08-09-2017, 09:47 AM
Subaru owner since 93

My 01 Forester had the head gasket/coolant leak that was repaired in a recall. That would have been over $5000, if not warrantied. It was a common issue with early aught Subaru engines, oh, until about 05.

Now, here's my real sob story. My '10 Forester required a 7000 dollar short block and other parts repair this spring. I was driving cross country from Colorado to Ct., and the engine bit it in St. Louis. Oil depletion. Yeah, should have been checking it more, but, honestly, I haven't checked my oil in years, after changing it every 3-5000. And, I've driven cross country three times in the past four years. Well over warranty period, and not included in the class action. Thank the lord it happened in a big city with AAA service and a good dealer close by. I drove through some very remote places.

I'm thinking Honda next time, but, I have read that they have oil depletion issues, too. Oy.

benb
08-09-2017, 10:11 AM
Mine (2013 Outback, about 55k miles) will burn 1 quart of oil in about 7000 miles. Not really a problem, it's thrown the low oil light a few times as it gets close to time for service. The 2013s have a 7500 mile change interval, Subaru changed it on the newer Outbacks to avoid people complaining about having to add a quart of oil. They went to a 6000 mile interval or something and suddenly there is no problem. This has been consistent for me since new. I had an Acura before this and it definitely burned oil at a similar rate but you'd never notice it unless you were checking the oil regularly with the dipstick, as it's oil change interval was such that it would never throw a low oil light before the oil change. Subaru told me you need to ignore the low oil light for a long long time on a modern Outback before it's an issue, the oil light goes on at 1 quart down and there's no danger at all at that point as there is a big safety margin built into the light.

I've followed the oil issues since I own one of these cars, the real problem with these new ones is oil burning, not leaking, and if you have a problem car it will burn oil quite fast.

My Subaru has basically been perfect so far just like my Acura. The brakes are wearing out faster, that's about it. Could be driving style, my Acura was a manual transmission and had more engine braking so I probably used the brakes a tad bit less. Different driving patterns too. I'd buy another Honda/Acura or another Subaru for sure.

Big Dan
08-09-2017, 10:14 AM
The head gasket issue on the Impreza is a real problem.
A costly one.

andeww
08-09-2017, 10:59 AM
i had a wrx for around 8 years, headgasket blew at around 80k miles and
was a big deal for me at the time but the only issue i had with the car. I loved the car at the time but i would never buy another subaru, i would take a vw van with a ej swap however edit: fyi it was an 04

oldpotatoe
08-09-2017, 02:58 PM
i had a wrx for around 8 years, headgasket blew at around 80k miles and
was a big deal for me at the time but the only issue i had with the car. I loved the car at the time but i would never buy another subaru, i would take a vw van with a ej swap however edit: fyi it was an 04

What's an 'ej' swap? Saw a Vanagon Syncro camper yesterday..about 1987/8...had a TDI in it....is that a possible swap along with inline VW 4 or subie 4 engine?

Sorry for the drift.

dustyrider
08-09-2017, 03:04 PM
What's an 'ej' swap? Saw a Vanagon Syncro camper yesterday..about 1987/8...had a TDI in it....is that a possible swap along with inline VW 4 or subie 4 engine?

Sorry for the drift.

Ej is the engine code for subaru. Flat four cylinder like an old vw. Pretty common swap with the vw van guys I think. Just a plate to match the trannies bell housing to the engine and all the other stuff to make it go should be pretty straightforward. Even some of the older subie guys like to swap an ej into their rigs. I thought of it back when I had a lifted '86 Subaru hatchback.

batman1425
08-09-2017, 03:25 PM
Ej is the engine code for subaru. Flat four cylinder like an old vw. Pretty common swap with the vw van guys I think. Just a plate to match the trannies bell housing to the engine and all the other stuff to make it go should be pretty straightforward. Even some of the older subie guys like to swap an ej into their rigs. I thought of it back when I had a lifted '86 Subaru hatchback.

Yep - the boxer swap is a common route for the Van guys. One of the few modern blocks that can fit in the place of the original air cooled mill. Not exactly cheap though - most shops I've seen that do it run in the 8-12K range (depending if the EJ is NA/Turbo and if your van is 2vs4WD range) for the swap plus the cost of the motor. The result is a pretty sweet restomod though.

andeww
08-09-2017, 03:28 PM
yes, something like this

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/724627.jpg