PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Handmade Show 2017 (Fat Chance, Ahearne, Igleheart, Jeff Lyon, Ti Cycles, ...)

Pi Guy
08-08-2017, 02:16 PM
The 2017 Oregon Handmade Bike Show is this weekend (Aug 12 & 13). I haven't been here nearly as long as I have been "across the hall" but it sure would be fun to meet some Paceliners. Anyone going?

The line up is looking pretty darn good! Definitely looking forward to Jeff Lyon, Fat Chance, and Jeff Bock. More info here: http://oregonframebuilders.org/ohbs/. I'll have a little booth too. A soft opening of sorts for me.

Apologies for the cross post but I figured there are some folks here who might be interested in the show too. Thanks!

Mzilliox
08-08-2017, 02:37 PM
Im really hoping to go and think i probably will. excited to see your work and meet you there!

kevinvc
08-08-2017, 02:40 PM
I was planning on going, but will be out riding the McKenzie River Trail instead. :cool:

bob heinatz
08-08-2017, 02:51 PM
Was there last 2 years fun show.

d_douglas
08-08-2017, 02:58 PM
I am clued out, but why aren't Speedvagen, Desalvo, Breadwinner and others attending? Just not worth it, business-wise?

denapista
08-08-2017, 03:32 PM
Breadwinner was there last year. I was in OR when it happened to get fit for a Rob English. Rob also attended the show. Pretty small and cool show. Just local dudes. Speedvagen rarely does bike shows like NAHBS, etc. Desalvo as well.. Chris Igelheart was there with his new brand of touring rando allroad monster bikes. Super cool guy.

Clean39T
08-08-2017, 05:09 PM
I was somehow unaware of it, but my wife is working Saturday, so I should have a free day - anyone want to do a coffee ramble if the smog isn't too awful?

Also, good opportunity if anyone wants to help me clear my parts bin...I'll try to get it all listed by tomorrow evening...clearing out all my remaining Campy stuff, wheels, and finishing kit...

Mzilliox
08-08-2017, 05:56 PM
I was somehow unaware of it, but my wife is working Saturday, so I should have a free day - anyone want to do a coffee ramble if the smog isn't too awful?

Also, good opportunity if anyone wants to help me clear my parts bin...I'll try to get it all listed by tomorrow evening...clearing out all my remaining Campy stuff, wheels, and finishing kit...

lets be in touch, not sure if im going yet, but would love to have a coffee and chat:beer:

gasman
08-08-2017, 07:24 PM
I was planning on going, but will be out riding the McKenzie River Trail instead. :cool:

Double check the fire situation. New fire centered around Blue River 😕

Cameron
08-08-2017, 11:18 PM
I'm hoping to go Saturday. I've been the last several years and enjoy it for sure. Too bad Winter Bicycles moved to Pennsylvania a couple years ago -- Eric's bikes were always my favorite to check out in person. Igleheart's stuff is always so rad though too so looking forward to that!

Clean39T
08-09-2017, 08:23 AM
lets be in touch, not sure if im going yet, but would love to have a coffee and chat:beer:

Sounds good. I'm hoping to have the Keith Anderson road-worthy by then...seems appropriate :)

kevinvc
08-09-2017, 10:43 AM
Double check the fire situation. New fire centered around Blue River 😕

I've been tracking a couple of them in the area. It will be smoky, but the campground and trail should be open. Both the one by the Blue River and on Mt. Jefferson are 0% contained, so fingers crossed they don't spread and new ones don't start.

Luwabra
08-09-2017, 11:58 AM
The 2017 Oregon Handmade Bike Show is this weekend (Aug 12 & 13). I haven't been here nearly as long as I have been "across the hall" but it sure would be fun to meet some Paceliners. Anyone going?

The line up is looking pretty darn good! Definitely looking forward to Jeff Lyon, Fat Chance, and Jeff Bock. More info here: http://oregonframebuilders.org/ohbs/. I'll have a little booth too. A soft opening of sorts for me.

Apologies for the cross post but I figured there are some folks here who might be interested in the show too. Thanks!

Bocks shop is just south of me and he offers a frame building class I'd love to take. Such a great guy to talk with and local for me. Looks like a solid lineup. Wish I still lived in the pnw

Pi Guy
08-09-2017, 01:18 PM
Bocks shop is just south of me and he offers a frame building class I'd love to take. Such a great guy to talk with and local for me. Looks like a solid lineup. Wish I still lived in the pnw

Cool, I built my second frame in Doug Fattic's class back in 2010. I remember him speaking very highly of Jeff. Looking forward to meeting him.

Pi Guy
08-09-2017, 01:25 PM
I've been tracking a couple of them in the area. It will be smoky, but the campground and trail should be open. Both the one by the Blue River and on Mt. Jefferson are 0% contained, so fingers crossed they don't spread and new ones don't start.

Not to derail my own thread but my wife and I went for a little overnight backpacking trip at the end of July. We stayed on top of Whetstone Mountain which is in the Opal Creek area. We could see the glow of the Mt Jefferson fire at night. I think it's much larger now. Anyway, have fun and be safe!

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4343/36329366791_ef26240428_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/Xmiv3X)
Mt Jefferson fire (https://flic.kr/p/Xmiv3X) by Radian Cycles (https://www.flickr.com/photos/radian_cycles/), on Flickr

Back to the regularly scheduled program...

thunderworks
08-09-2017, 04:18 PM
It's great that Jeff Bock is driving out from Iowa for the show. His work is stunning. I've seen lots of really beautiful bikes in the last 40 years, none more beautiful than Jeff's. Really first rate stuff.

I can't go to the show, but if someone would take pictures and post them, it would be greatly appreciated.

Apexture
08-10-2017, 09:00 AM
Please share pics if you take any. Especially from Jeff Lyon's booth! Thanks

Clean39T
08-11-2017, 10:31 PM
Anybody hear if there will be special bike parking or a valet system? Not wanting to leave a nice one outside and I didn't see any info..

adampaiva
08-14-2017, 10:15 AM
anyone go? Was Jeff Lyon there? Want some pics!

Pi Guy
08-14-2017, 12:04 PM
Well, that was quite a fun show for me. Don't think I met any paceliners unfortunately but had some great conversations with a bunch of folks. Also, Jeff Lyon wasn't able to make it which was too bad.

The big highlight for me was getting some really encouraging and insightful feedback on my work from Mark Dinucci and Jeff Bock. How often do you get a chance like that? Anyway, I'm looking forward to next year's show!

P.S. I brought my camera but was too busy to take any pics. I know there are some on IG (#oregonhandmadebikeshow) and Handbuilt Bicycle Guide's website. Hopefully some more will pop up in the coming days.

Mzilliox
08-14-2017, 12:13 PM
Well, that was quite a fun show for me. Don't think I met any paceliners unfortunately but had some great conversations with a bunch of folks. Also, Jeff Lyon wasn't able to make it which was too bad.

The big highlight for me was getting some really encouraging and insightful feedback on my work from Mark Dinucci and Jeff Bock. How often do you get a chance like that? Anyway, I'm looking forward to next year's show!

P.S. I brought my camera but was too busy to take any pics. I know there are some on IG (#oregonhandmadebikeshow) and Handbuilt Bicycle Guide's website. Hopefully some more will pop up in the coming days.

Thanks for the quick report, and sorry we did not make it up!

bismo37
08-14-2017, 08:49 PM
I've gone the last couple years but forgot it was coming up. At least I got some nice rides in.

Clean39T
08-14-2017, 09:00 PM
I went, but didn't know who else was going. I was bummed Lyon wasn't there, but I had some fun conversations with other builders. My favorite was probably Mahall Bikeworks http://www.mahallbikeworks.com. Nothing crazy fancy, just solid thought-out builds and some nice personal touches.

I rode the Keith Anderson over there too. Very smooth and well-mannered. It's on the bubble given I'm keeping the Yamaguchi, but I'm not going to kick it out straight away. If I build it up, it'll be a modern build with Thomson, a stem adapter, probably black 105 or Force22, and some black wheels - white saddle/tape to set it off. More on that at some point in the gallery post...