PDA

View Full Version : Bladder Cancer Radical Cystectomy Updated 8/15

Shoeman
08-08-2017, 02:07 PM
Any Urologists on the forum or anyone that has had this procedure done. I'm not sure I need one but my Urologist seems to think it is the best option at this point. I had some tumors removed from the bladder in 2015. I had TURBT yesterday after being scoped 2 weeks ago when he found some red spots. Did the biopsy and found some cells growing in a Diverticulum. I will know more on Friday with the followup test results and the options he has laid out for me.

Hawker
08-10-2017, 03:01 PM
All the best Bro...keeping you in my prayers.

Black Dog
08-10-2017, 03:38 PM
No knowledge that can help you but all the best wishes.

livingminimal
08-10-2017, 03:40 PM
Wishing you the best, man.

MattTuck
08-10-2017, 03:47 PM
Best of luck.

rnhood
08-10-2017, 07:17 PM
I'm not a urologist or a doctor of any kind however, my opinion is that if the prognosis remains poor when you get more info, then surgery is likely the best course as its far more effective than any kind of drug or chemo treatment. And radiation for that matter. You change your lifestyle accordingly and focus on things you like and can do, not on what you can no longer do. We all have to make changes of some type as we age. I certainly hope you are presented with other options once the results are analyzed but regardless, your doctors will no doubt make the most prudent recommendation. You don't want to take too many risks with cancer.

shovelhd
08-10-2017, 08:11 PM
You are in my thoughts. Good luck.

ldamelio
08-12-2017, 07:32 AM
I'm a surgeon but in an unrelated specialty. The decision of cystectomy versus local therapy for bladder cancer hinges on a number of technical details related to the depth of penetration and cellular characteristics of the tumor. Far too complicated to be sorted out on the Internet, let alone on a cycling forum. If you have any concerns, ask for a second opinion from a subspecialty urologic oncologist. It's a relatively uncommon specialty in the community, so you may find yourself referred to a regional academic medical center. If your local urologist recommends a cystectomy, ask about his/her experience and volume. Some do them regularly and you will be in good hands; some do a few a year and you are likely to have a better outcome in more experienced hands. Best of luck.

oldpotatoe
08-12-2017, 04:31 PM
Positive thoughts your way sir. Seems everybody has been touched by cancer, cancer sucks.

rwsaunders
08-12-2017, 06:21 PM
Sending some good karma your way.

R3awak3n
08-12-2017, 08:48 PM
I'm a surgeon but in an unrelated specialty. The decision of cystectomy versus local therapy for bladder cancer hinges on a number of technical details related to the depth of penetration and cellular characteristics of the tumor. Far too complicated to be sorted out on the Internet, let alone on a cycling forum. If you have any concerns, ask for a second opinion from a subspecialty urologic oncologist. It's a relatively uncommon specialty in the community, so you may find yourself referred to a regional academic medical center. If your local urologist recommends a cystectomy, ask about his/her experience and volume. Some do them regularly and you will be in good hands; some do a few a year and you are likely to have a better outcome in more experienced hands. Best of luck.

this is a great answer.

Also sending the best of luck, hope it all goes alright!

merlincustom1
08-13-2017, 07:14 PM
All the best to you.

Hank Scorpio
08-13-2017, 08:55 PM
Not entirely the same as you but I had a malignant tumor removed from my tongue earlier this year and a neck dissection. If you want to talk personally pm me for my email, phone number whatever you need.

I saw a few local surgeons who were all doom and gloom. Then I went to Sloan Kettering and they really had a whole different approach. Where do you live? I agree with the above poster who said you want to be where they do these regularly. What is your urologists plan for reconstruction? There may be options that will restore regular function over time.

nalax
08-13-2017, 10:32 PM
Back in 2005 I notice blood in my urine. I was scared. Was referred to a good urologist and had several low grade cancerous polyps removed from my bladder. I returned to the urologist 2-3 times a year for a cystoscopy and as they grew back he would remove them. About six years ago they stopped and I continued the procedure once a year. This month the doc found a growth and it turned out to be low grade cancer again, non-invasive. Now I'm back to more frequent testing.
My original urologist retired 3-4 years ago and I felt that he was pretty good. His replacement turned out to be even better and more knowlegeable as their science has advanced. I consider myself fortunate and lucky. I'm 68. I rode today.
I'm hoping that you can get it under control. Get a good doc. PM me if you have any questions.

Shoeman
08-15-2017, 12:33 AM
A quick update and big thanks for all of your support!!!!! Saw the Doc Friday, a long discussion with many questions on my part. He is suggesting removal of the Bladder as most of the Cancer which is rather lowgrade and is in a Diverticulum. The problem is it is not in a favorable position in the bladder for surgery. It is located near the bottom and on the back side of the bladder. It (bladder) cannot be flipped over and the Diverticulum is a mucus membrane with no muscle wall to sew back up. If by chance he would puncture the cancer cells and they land out side of the membrane it's game over. Doc says this is a cancer that will spread to the whole area real quick. Hence removal of the bladder is the only option at this time. Doctor has a pretty good pedigree Bucknell summa cum laude Grad, UVA Medical School Grad (Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society member).
He did his residence at Vanderbilt which is noted as a top School for Urology. I asked him how many bladder surgery's he's done and his comment was 86 at Vanderbilt alone. His recommendation is for the Urostomy Bag, he says less moving parts/less work etc. down the road. I just have the Ct Uroscan Wed. & a Stress test/Cardiogram on Friday. Cardio Doc has to sign off first, major Heart Attack 2006 left me with a dead left side. Ejection Fraction Rate on a good day is 20, my Defibrillator is with me all the time. I guessing the Doctors want to make sure the old tired ticker will make it thru the Surgery. Again I thank you guys for your Prayers & Encouraging Words You Are The Best!!!!

marsh
08-15-2017, 10:22 AM
My Pops went through the same thing. If it's any consolation, once he recovered he was back on the bike for a good number of years. Good luck to you.

Bentley
08-15-2017, 11:20 AM
I am truly amazed how well you are processing all of this. I'm also happy to hear all the positive wishes and suggestions offered. Keep up the positive attitutude, would love to spend an afternoon on the bike with you when it's all done. Stay positive and get well

Ray