PDA

View Full Version : road cycling near Bryson City, NC?

Bob Ross
08-08-2017, 10:14 AM
Travel plans changed; we switched our August vacation from Boulder CO to Bryson City NC so that we could be in the Path Of Totality for the solar eclipse on 8/21. Looks like that's right near (in?) the Great Smokey Mountains, so I'm guessing the cycling around those parts is pretty sweet, no?

Any recommendations for road cycling routes in that corner of the state? We'll be staying at a B&B by the Tuckasegee River. Don't need anything too epic in terms of distance/elevation, though challenging would be nice; we're easy, mostly looking for beautiful surroundings and a safe paved shoulder. Thanks.

Rpoole8537
08-08-2017, 11:58 AM
Someone here may have better information than me, however, there are not many secondary roads around that area. Contact the bike shop at the Nantahala Outdoor Center. They may have some good ideas. The mountain bike trails at Tsali are very sweet. You can rent a mountain bike at the Outdoor Center. I'm not an avid mountain biker, but I have ridden those trails and I enjoyed them. They are also on Lake Fontana which is on the path of the eclipse. I think there is a bike shop in Bryson City but I do not know the name.

HenryA
08-08-2017, 12:07 PM
Plenty of riding in that area and lots of great scenery. The riding will be hilly. I will second riding Tsali even if MTB is not your main preference. A local will no doubt come along and fill in the details for you.

Lovetoclimb
08-08-2017, 01:20 PM
Also contact Motion Makers in Sylva. Afaik and having done some map studying out there, you will be best served to drive a little ways either over the BRP or down towards Lake Glenville, Cashiers area. Keep in mind the traffic around the eclipse for this area will be downright nutty and we don't have much for shoulders on WNC roads. Bright lights strongly encouraged.

rnhood
08-08-2017, 01:37 PM
Yes, Motion Makers can help with routes, information and just about anything other thing including renting or selling a bike to you. It's a top shelf dealership.

Here (http://www.motionmakers.com/about/sylva-area-road-ride-maps-pg81.htm) is a link to MM routes around Sylva which will be relatively close to you. Just remember, you don't always get a nice shoulder on mountain roads but traffic is generally light and considerate. These roads get a fair amount of cycling traffic as they are popular around those parts.

zap
08-08-2017, 04:33 PM
Link to some cues.

http://cnc.ncsports.org/mountainCNCRide/contentPages.cfm/contentVariable/contentPages.cfm/contentVariable/contentPages.cfm/contentVariable/2017_Mountain_Ride_Cue_Sheets

HenryA
08-08-2017, 05:07 PM
Here's a great ride from Bryson City:

South on Hwy 28 to Franklin

West on 64 to Wayah Road

Stay Wayah Road all the way to Hwy 19

Turn right on Hwy 19 heading NE

Stay on 19 all the way back to Bryson City

(27 mile downhill return)

Bob Ross
08-08-2017, 06:35 PM
(27 mile downhill return)