PDA

View Full Version : OT: Solar eclipse-travelling?

marciero
08-08-2017, 09:32 AM
Is anyone travelling to see "totality"? I am seriously considering driving 1k miles, or maybe flying, to experience it. You only live once and all that. (Though in fact this happens somewhere about every 18 months.) The excellent cycling in NC/SC would be bonus, of course.

CDollarsign
08-08-2017, 09:45 AM
I am heading to Hopkinsville KY. I planned on going there when the maps were released, now NASA has designated it the best place to see the eclipse - so kind of worried about traffic and such...

pncguy
08-08-2017, 09:47 AM
We've abandoned all our plans to head up to WY or NE from the Denver area because we've realized that the traffic is going to be amazingly bad. In addition, people are renting out space in their yards and fields - but you need your own facilities - which just reinforces our impression that the actual event may be amazing, but getting to and especially from viewing sites isn't something we want to do.

kevinvc
08-08-2017, 10:05 AM
My bikecamping plans fell through, so it's going to be just another day at the office. I might ride up to a nice park that's nearby and has a good open sky. The million of out of state visitors descending on the state for the event is kind of souring me on trying to do to much. It will be a total cluster over much of the state.

One of the new twists is that forest fires are affecting a lot of areas where people planned on camping. I feel sorry for someone who planned months in advance and booked a campsite only to have it unavailable because of this. It's going to be a bad fire season, so there will likely be more between now and then, which will create a lot of smoke obscuring viewing in areas across the state.

Bob Ross
08-08-2017, 10:07 AM
We're flying to Charlotte NC and then driving to Bryson City to be in the Path Of Totality® which will prompt a Where To Ride Near Bryson City NC? thread in 3, 2, 1...

MattTuck
08-08-2017, 10:13 AM
I hope you all have good weather for viewing if you are traveling to see it. The total eclipse (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcOxhH8N3Bo) will last for less than 3 minutes. One big cloud could mess up the whole thing.

avalonracing
08-08-2017, 10:13 AM
I'm flying to Nashville for the day. I've wanted to see a total solar eclipse since childhood. People who have seen one say that you have to go into the path of totality and don't bother traveling to get even 99%. Yes, it is less than a three-minute show but has been described as pretty much the greatest natural sight one can see. It freaking turns dark and stars and planets become visible in the middle of the day while the horizon around you looks like sunset. Yes, a cloud could blow it but I've seen people spend over a grand on a bar tab in an evening so they can later say, "Yeah, that night was awesome, I was so drunk". But a total solar eclipse might be one of the few cases where the word "Awesome" can be used literally.

marciero
08-08-2017, 10:35 AM
I'm flying to Nashville for the day. I've wanted to see a total solar eclipse since childhood. People who have seen one say that you have to go into the path of totality and don't bother traveling to get even 99%. Yes, it is less than a three-minute show but has been described as pretty much the greatest natural sight one can see. It freaking turns dark and stars and planets become visible in the middle of the day while the horizon around you looks like sunset. Yes, a cloud could blow it but I've seen people spend over a grand on a bar tab in an evening so they can later say, "Yeah, that night was awesome, I was so drunk". But a total solar eclipse might be one of the few cases where the word "Awesome" can be used literally.

Am starting to get psyched, though the traffic gives me pause. I think Totality is 3 minutes. That is a long time in my mind to be in that space. Think of doing intervals. There is also the partial going in and then out.

marciero
08-08-2017, 10:39 AM
...in fact would be less that 1k mile drive for us since will be heading there directly from Deerfield ; )

shinomaster
08-08-2017, 10:43 AM
We are expecting to be over-run here in Oregon. :help:

miksibis
08-08-2017, 10:50 AM
Charleston, sc has promised to be a zoo with it being the last spot in the US for viewing.

kramnnim
08-08-2017, 11:14 AM
I'm curious about how bad the roads will be. I'm about 2 hours from the 100% totality areas.

bikinchris
08-08-2017, 11:18 AM
We're going to the Nashville area. We might look for star parties north and west of there, but as long as you are in the path and the sky is clear, you should be happy.

mgordon
08-08-2017, 11:19 AM
I'll be outside of Nashville as well. Should be quite a show!

jruhlen1980
08-08-2017, 11:20 AM
I live pretty close to the path so I was planning on a 70-mile bike ride on gravel (avoid the eclipse tourists) with some friends, make a day out of it...

BUT as it turns out I might not be able to take that day off work so I may have to content myself with a long lunch break and a 99% eclipse. Maybe I can talk security into letting me on the roof.

Mzilliox
08-08-2017, 11:30 AM
I simply find it odd that we as a society give so little thought to the natural world until something like this happens, then everyone goes ape nuts. i know im preaching to the choir a bit in a cyclists group, but theres tons of magic in nature, it should not take an eclipse to get people celebrating the wonder of nature.

so no, ill stay home and revel in nature anyway, knowing there is a cool event happening that lots of people will instagram about.

but for those going, enjoy, instagram the hell out of it, or just be present and there. whatever makes you happy

kurto
08-08-2017, 11:32 AM
We've abandoned all our plans to head up to WY or NE from the Denver area because we've realized that the traffic is going to be amazingly bad. In addition, people are renting out space in their yards and fields - but you need your own facilities - which just reinforces our impression that the actual event may be amazing, but getting to and especially from viewing sites isn't something we want to do.

Hmmm.... I'm in Lincoln where we're getting ~90 seconds of totality. Maybe I should place ads to have people camp in my yard. Bring some beers and throw up a tent :beer:

We've got cool stuff planned on campus that day (and leading up to it), and I'm pretty psyched to be able to just walk out of my office and look up and see stars and planets at like 1:00pm. Should be amazing, and being on a university campus full of excited geeks and young people will make it even cooler.

Dead Man
08-08-2017, 11:55 AM
I simply find it odd that we as a society give so little thought to the natural world until something like this happens, then everyone goes ape nuts. i know im preaching to the choir a bit in a cyclists group, but theres tons of magic in nature, it should not take an eclipse to get people celebrating the wonder of nature.

so no, ill stay home and revel in nature anyway, knowing there is a cool event happening that lots of people will instagram about.

but for those going, enjoy, instagram the hell out of it, or just be present and there. whatever makes you happy

Blame Stanley Kubrick.

MattTuck
08-08-2017, 11:59 AM
oh, to be an ophthalmologist in the path of totality... :beer:

Bruce K
08-08-2017, 12:00 PM
Rabun Gap, GA for us.

Free use of a friend's cabin. Tickets to a local event booked.

Flying in and out of Atlanta.

Cameras ready.

BK

Dead Man
08-08-2017, 12:02 PM
Blame Stanley Kubrick.

In fact, if I do come up with some last-minute epic eclipse-watching plans, I'll make sure to bring a pocket bluetooth speaker and have Ligeti's Requiem ready to play on my phone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wawSCvuGj4o

shovelhd
08-08-2017, 12:22 PM
You guys are friggin' nuts.

avalonracing
08-08-2017, 12:36 PM
BUT as it turns out I might not be able to take that day off work so I may have to content myself with a long lunch break and a 99% eclipse. Maybe I can talk security into letting me on the roof.

Important to note. They say you MUST wear eclipse glasses unless the sun is in totality. If you are in totality you can take them off for the duration of the totality but otherwise, you must wear the dorky glasses at all times.

Ken Robb
08-08-2017, 12:46 PM
I worry that someone will start a fire that gets out of control due to very dry brush in an area with few roads and thousands of extra people and cars.

Bruce K
08-08-2017, 12:50 PM
I think the bigger concerns are having WAY more people in areas where there will not be enough resources.

We are going to a planned event put on by the county. Tickets are limited to 10,000.

That said, the county is expecting 55,000 CARS on their roads that day.

We will be heading to the event early and planning to stay late. Unless we can figure out ATV access as we have the use of some.

BK

makoti
08-08-2017, 01:47 PM
I'll be in Corvallis, OR. Driving down from Seattle after flying in from DC. The eclipse was an added bonus, though. The trip was not specifically for that. My GF knows people there & we are staying with them, but I have no clue what we are planning to do to actually watch it. Hoping they have a big yard or something quiet. Also hoping to ride some while there, but worried there will be SO many cars on the roads.

makoti
08-08-2017, 01:50 PM
Important to note. They say you MUST wear eclipse glasses unless the sun is in totality. If you are in totality you can take them off for the duration of the totality but otherwise, you must wear the dorky glasses at all times.

Yes, and that goes for your camera, as well. Shield the lens from the sun until totality. Something like this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1319799-REG/daystar_filters_ulf90_90mm_universal_lens_filter.h tml

bikinchris
08-08-2017, 02:29 PM
I live pretty close to the path so I was planning on a 70-mile bike ride on gravel (avoid the eclipse tourists) with some friends, make a day out of it...

There will be no avoiding eclipse tourists. That's why we decided against going into Kentucky.

William
08-08-2017, 02:36 PM
I'll be in Corvallis, OR. Driving down from Seattle after flying in from DC. The eclipse was an added bonus, though. The trip was not specifically for that. My GF knows people there & we are staying with them, but I have no clue what we are planning to do to actually watch it. Hoping they have a big yard or something quiet. Also hoping to ride some while there, but worried there will be SO many cars on the roads.

Some great riding around the Corvallis area for road or trails. If you have the time.

William

redir
08-08-2017, 02:36 PM
I might take a ride to a nice mountain top spot in a Tennessee national forest. Thinking about it. But I hate crowds, seriously hate them, so it would be completely ruined if that was the case. This place is pretty remote though and would require a two hour hike to get to. That would weed out all but the 'cool' people ;)

marciero
08-08-2017, 05:03 PM

How very smug of you! Probably not your intent...

Tandem Rider
08-09-2017, 08:34 AM
We are on the edge of totality, they are predicting 6 hours to get across town that weekend. :help: It's 15 minutes now, and it will be 15 minutes again the weekend after. At least there are bike lanes everywhere, especially to the liquor store.:beer:

makoti
08-09-2017, 11:01 AM
We are on the edge of totality, they are predicting 6 hours to get across town that weekend. :help: It's 15 minutes now, and it will be 15 minutes again the weekend after. At least there are bike lanes everywhere, especially to the liquor store.:beer:

Where are you?

phcollard
08-09-2017, 11:17 AM
I've seen a total in Belgium, on August 11, 1999. I remember it as if it was yesterday. True there's magic everywhere in nature but this was really an exceptional feeling.

Wish you all guys see this one!

Tandem Rider
08-09-2017, 01:04 PM
Where are you?

Bend OR

makoti
08-09-2017, 01:13 PM
Bend OR

Creeap. I'm going to Corvallis. Can't be any better there.

oldpotatoe
08-09-2017, 02:53 PM
Is anyone travelling to see "totality"? I am seriously considering driving 1k miles, or maybe flying, to experience it. You only live once and all that. (Though in fact this happens somewhere about every 18 months.) The excellent cycling in NC/SC would be bonus, of course.

Ya know, I've seen a total eclipse, not sure when or where and it's kinda weird, looking at the reflection thru a pun hole or with dark glasses... but travel 1000+ miles for it? No tanks.

Tandem Rider
08-09-2017, 03:13 PM
Creeap. I'm going to Corvallis. Can't be any better there.

Probably want to get to your viewing site the night before, camp and party until the crowds start to dissipate and then head back to sleeping quarters.

William
08-09-2017, 03:21 PM
Corvallis...everyone will probably head for Mary's Peak. Good ride, but not that day.

William

azrider
08-09-2017, 03:26 PM

HA. While vacationing at Black Butte few weeks ago, we took the little ones to a Fire House and to hear the Fire Chief talk about all the precautionary measures they're going to have to take was insane. For instance, Madras, OR, a town with a population of 6000 is expecting over 100,000 visitors as it's been deemed the "Eclipse capital"........that's going to be hectic

Ciavete
08-09-2017, 03:30 PM
Signed up for the Crater Lake Century near Klamath Falls on Saturday before. Thinking of driving to Madras Municipal Airport early Sunday if possible and camping out on the airfield. Scary stories about monster traffic are swirling about, but I've spent plenty of time stuck on the 405 & 5 in LA, and the 101 in the Bay Area, so figure I've experienced carmageddon at its worst.

Or maybe retreat to the NASA Channel, comfortably at home with a Cup'A Joe.

Maybe should watch Close Encounters of the Third Kind again; wasn't there an epic celestial-event-causing traffic jam?

gasman
08-09-2017, 03:46 PM

I spend a lot of time in nature biking , hiking and climbing but I watched a total eclipse in '79 just East of the Dalles . It was out third date. Camped out in a farmers field and we were treated to the most amazing sight I've ever seen in nature. I know it's going to be very different this time but for me it's worth it.

Ozz
08-09-2017, 03:46 PM
I am driving the family down to Woodburn, OR to see the eclipse. My sister lives there so we will have a place to stay. Heading down on Saturday and then taking the week off to take a slow trip home thru eastern WA wine country. Hoping to stop and tour a few colleges in OR (Reed and Lewis & Clark) as well....might be ambitious....depends on traffic.

I saw the eclipse in '79 when I was in high school. Science teacher took a bus load of us over to Yakima to see it. I will never forget it...very cool. Hope to give my kids a similar experience.

kookmyers
08-09-2017, 04:22 PM
Traveling to Bend on the 23rd and made the reservations not knowing about the eclipse event. Its anyone's guess, but do you Bend locals think my vacation is going to be crowded?

Andy sti
08-09-2017, 06:19 PM
Traveling to Bend on the 23rd and made the reservations not knowing about the eclipse event. Its anyone's guess, but do you Bend locals think my vacation is going to be crowded?

We are expecting some people to stay a bit longer but I don't think it will any worse than normal. The medical community is planning on normalcy after Wed at least.

Andy sti
08-09-2017, 06:21 PM
My town, Bend, is about 20-30 miles south of the southern edge of totality. Looks like I'll have the day off so I may ride up to be in the path. Too close not to.

Tandem Rider
08-09-2017, 07:25 PM
My town, Bend, is about 20-30 miles south of the southern edge of totality. Looks like I'll have the day off so I may ride up to be in the path. Too close not to.

How'd you swing the day off?? Don't bother with a lottery ticket, you used your luck up.

Everyone I know is working or leaving town, MrsTR may have to spend the night there just so she can be sure of being at work the day of.

weisan
08-09-2017, 07:34 PM
http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/maps/whole-us.jpg

marciero
08-09-2017, 09:05 PM
http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/maps/whole-us.jpg

Here's the one I'm using. Interactive. Zoom in, click on any location (in the world, not just POT) for detailed information.

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/interactive_map/index.html

kookmyers
08-09-2017, 09:40 PM
We are expecting some people to stay a bit longer but I don't think it will any worse than normal. The medical community is planning on normalcy after Wed at least.

Thanks! Looking forward to being in your beautiful town for my annual vacation.
Don't worry, I'll be up at elk lake the majority of the time.

Plum Hill
08-09-2017, 10:17 PM
Driving 80 miles to Southern Illinois. Plan to watch from my kayak in Cedar Lake. It should be right on the line of the eclipse.
I'm hoping there is no tsunami or the Cedar Lake monster gets upset.

Not too far away in Carterville, Il., there will be a music festival going on. The plan is for Ozzie Osbourne to sing Bark at the Moon when the eclipse happens.
Happy to be at the lake.

adampaiva
08-09-2017, 11:06 PM
I'm flying into Boise Idaho the Saturday before and will be bikepacking for the next 10 days, so will be camping somewhere in the Boise Natiknal Forest for the eclipse. I wonder if it's going to be crowded out there in the wilderness?

I was lucky enough to be in Side, Turkey for a totallfeclipse in 2006 and it was one of the top experiences of my life. I had no real expectations going in but it was a really special thing. Photos don't do it an ounce of justice. I won't be surprised if I am alone in the wilderness for this one but the first one I was on a crowded beach and the excitement in the air from everyone really added to it.

p nut
08-10-2017, 12:06 PM
Only one Lowe's had these eclipse glasses in stock in a 100 mile radius. I was only looking at the brands at Lowe's as there are rumors of fake CE and ISO certified glasses floating around.

There were 400 in stock at this location, as of yesterday. I was just going to drive up this morning to grab a few but on a whim, decided to purchase online beforehand. Got there this morning and they said I was lucky to have ordered online as the rest were gone. That's crazy. I should've looked into manuf and sales. I'd imagine margins are superb.

Bruce K
08-10-2017, 12:21 PM
Solar filters for cameras are tough too

Found a 10 stop on Amazon - I may buy a 3 and a 5....

BK

Andy sti
08-10-2017, 02:54 PM
How'd you swing the day off?? Don't bother with a lottery ticket, you used your luck up.

Everyone I know is working or leaving town, MrsTR may have to spend the night there just so she can be sure of being at work the day of.

I lucked out. We are essentially closed as we can't do surgery at the hospital and we aren't seeing any patients in the office. That means I get to ride! Unfortunately, it's just a bit too far for my kids to ride up into the path.

CDollarsign
08-10-2017, 02:58 PM
You can't do surgery because of the eclipse?!

jruhlen1980
08-10-2017, 03:49 PM

It's too dark :D

Andy sti
08-10-2017, 04:08 PM

It's crazy what's going on here. No elective surgery from the Wednesday before to the Wednesday after the eclipse. Goal is to have the hospital cleared out to be ready for the onslaught of new patients. Central Oregon is expecting to be overloaded and access to healthcare has been a major concern. Maybe it will be nothing or maybe not. Most medical offices are closing that day due to the expected ridiculous travel times. It'll be interesting at least.

bikinchris
08-10-2017, 04:55 PM
Only one Lowe's had these eclipse glasses in stock in a 100 mile radius. I was only looking at the brands at Lowe's as there are rumors of fake CE and ISO certified glasses floating around.

There were 400 in stock at this location, as of yesterday. I was just going to drive up this morning to grab a few but on a whim, decided to purchase online beforehand. Got there this morning and they said I was lucky to have ordered online as the rest were gone. That's crazy. I should've looked into manuf and sales. I'd imagine margins are superb.

I looked at planetariums we were near for the glasses. They have had these glasses for several years and you can be certain they are genuine. We wound up getting them in New York, along with a book with maps and information about the eclipse.

Also, the town we are going to bought 20,000 glasses to give out to people who are coming.

Bruce K
08-10-2017, 05:01 PM
The town where we will be is giving out glasses with our tickets when we pick them up.

My wife bought 2 sets on line months ago. They came from a reputable source.

We weren't going to take any chances.

BK

08-10-2017, 08:55 PM
Now for the really important information you need to know for an eclipse safari.

I posted this on my Facebook page, but there are a few people here who just might find it valuable.

https://alt1033.iheart.com/featured/mike-jones/content/2017-08-08-the-best-waffle-houses-to-watch-the-solar-eclipse-from/#.WYumx_68zB0.facebook

No bananas.

Bruce K
08-10-2017, 09:16 PM
Thank you !!!

Waffle House is one of those places that repel and grab you at the same time.

People watching is an interesting experience. The food is "interesting" too!

BK

Ken Robb
08-10-2017, 09:37 PM
I confess: I love COUNTRY ham, eggs and waffles at Waffle House Restaurants. In my undergrad days at Northwestern there was a Toddle House just over the Evanston/Chicago line where guys would often go for late-night refueling after dropping off their dates. It was a near-carbon copy of the Waffle Houses I encountered later when I was stationed in Alabama.

When Leslie asked me what a Waffle House was like before I took her for her first visit I told her: All the staff will be very nice and call you sugar or hon. If there are 4 people working there MIGHT be 32 natural teeth among them. She thought I was kidding-----------until we got there.
They do a fine job and I always feel like I have dined with friends when I leave.
When I get a cardiologist I'm sure he will tell me to stay away from Waffle Houses but until that day I'll never pass up a chance for a country ham breakfast. :beer:

azrider
08-21-2017, 04:01 PM
well that was boring.

kramnnim
08-21-2017, 06:22 PM
Drove a few hours to where it would have 2 minutes of 100% totality. Was cloudy and rained.

Did see a star through a break in the clouds..,

Bob Ross
08-21-2017, 06:30 PM
Quite possibly the most awe-inspiring thing I've ever experienced.

Based on everyone I've spoken with today who wasn't in the Path Of Totality, the 2 hour plane flight followed by 3 hour drive was totally worth it. (The fact that we also got 4 days of fabulous cycling in didn't hurt.)

Bruce K
08-21-2017, 06:49 PM
This small town in NE Georgia is still recovering from the day.

Internet and cell service has been spotty and traffic is still bumper to bumper on the main road through (GA 441).

We opted to skip the event we had tickets to and hang out on the lawn at the cabin we were given the use of.

The first 30% was cool and then clouds rolled in. My wife was almost in tears at having traveled so far. But about 10 minutes before totality the sun came back out and it was amazing. We saw the "red beads" and the "diamond ring" effect. I got some pretty good pictures which I will post when we get home.

Very happy we made the trip. Now to start planning Vermont in 2024!:cool:

BK

gasman
08-21-2017, 07:44 PM
I drove 550 miles and spent most of yesterday afternoon looking for the perfect spot for our small group. Turned out to be a perfect event that is burned into my brain forever. Few people, lots of solar effects and easy traffic back to our hotel.
The only thing I didn't see was the shadow of the moon zip by as totality started.

ergott
08-21-2017, 07:56 PM
Here's my contribution.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Nature/Assorted-nature-shots/i-j6FcVZq/0/13b925d4/X2/EclipseCollage2017-X2.jpg

estilley
08-21-2017, 09:23 PM
I walked out the front door at work and was treated to over 99% totality. Not bad for a day at the office...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fa63
08-21-2017, 09:26 PM
The clouds almost ruined the moment where we were in Atlanta, but also got this cool shot:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170822/adeecd4558add42582669f036305e036.jpg

wombatspeed
08-21-2017, 09:36 PM
It was pretty stunning. Drove up the night before from Laramie and camped S of Casper in the prairie, went for a dirt road ride on quiet blm roads, got back to the camper and enjoyed the full darkness spectacle with the family. Even the drive home was only 30 minutes extra. Yehaw for living in WY. Though I saw that the main roads and interstates were a bit of a fest getting back...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oliver1850
08-21-2017, 10:56 PM
My nieces were in S IL today for the eclipse and to see Ozzy bark at the moon. Very cloudy in N IL. It got noticeably dark but really no darker than during a big rain event, which we had around sundown. Hope the sky was less cloudy down south.

buldogge
08-21-2017, 11:02 PM
We drove 45 minutes south to Hillsboro, MO and a little county park/trail with rock glades. We had full sun when we left STL @11am...light clouds as we approached Hillsboro, then it cleared as the partial eclipse began...was pretty damn clear during totality...got to enjoy 2.5+ minutes...was truly cool.

Nice way to spend the early afternoon.

-Mark in St. Louis

Plum Hill
08-21-2017, 11:15 PM
Changed plans due to stinkin' heat and humidity; went to Chester, Il. ("home" of Popeye). Great time. Clear sky and almost on the line of totality. I thought it looked like a big PacMan in the beginning of coverage.
Met one guy from Los Angeles, a gentleman and his two young daughters that drove down from Janesville, Wi., some folks from my area, and three cyclists (a couple from Great Britian and a guy from Ventura, Ca.) traveling through on the TransCon Route.
Traffic was horrendous all over southern Illinois.

bikingshearer
08-22-2017, 01:12 AM
I was about five miles west of Redmond OR up a paved country road. About one minute of totality. Words are not adequate. Neither are photos. Simply the most wonderful thing I have ever seen except for the birth of my son.

Louis
08-22-2017, 01:46 AM
Given all the trouble some folks went through to see this, I feel a bit like a Philistine admitting this, but I traveled in the opposite direction from most folks. My house was in the zone of 100% obscuration (a hair under 2 minutes of total eclipse) but because it was in the middle of the day I drove in to work, which was only in an area of partial eclipse. (although the sliver of sun remaining was pretty small)

As is usually the case for eclipses, I thought the neatest thing was all the images of crescent suns in the shade of trees. You're so used to seeing the circles in non-eclipse conditions, you don't realize that all those things really are images of the sun projected by hundreds of "leaf hole" cameras in the trees, whether there's a eclipse occurring or not.

gospastic
08-22-2017, 09:19 AM
Changed plans due to stinkin' heat and humidity; went to Chester, Il. ("home" of Popeye). Great time. Clear sky and almost on the line of totality. I thought it looked like a big PacMan in the beginning of coverage.
Met one guy from Los Angeles, a gentleman and his two young daughters that drove down from Janesville, Wi., some folks from my area, and three cyclists (a couple from Great Britian and a guy from Ventura, Ca.) traveling through on the TransCon Route.
Traffic was horrendous all over southern Illinois.

I was in Chester too. Got a nice viewing spot along the Mississippi. Was definitely worth the drive.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4357/36339895960_724c29666f_b.jpg

ojingoh
08-22-2017, 01:36 PM
Besides cycling, I'm also passionate about astronomy. Total eclipses are not that rare, but they are rare enough to be worth travelling for.

This was my first one, it was sublime. We did it road-trip style. Left Seattle at midnight, got to the spot 30 miles north of Madras OR, took a nap then set up telescopes. We had about 1:45 of totality. Saw the eclipse shadow retreating across central Oregon from where we were, on a bluff. That was amazing.

Next continental US eclipse is in 2024, touches ground in Mexico first, then goes through the Midwest. It's going to be a long one too, 4 minutes in the totality. I am definitely going to that one too.

skijoring
08-22-2017, 03:33 PM
Rode 40~miles roundtrip on bike to Mulino, Oregon to view and it was worth every pedal stroke. Found a side road with unobstructed views and just soaked in it for 2 hours. Such a great experience with my wife seeing the eclipse, setting up a pinhole viewer and experiencing the before, during and after of totality.

April 8, 2024 in VT - I am ordering sunny and clear skies for that day. :p

Bruce K
08-22-2017, 05:41 PM
Tail end of ski season / beginning of mud season.

Should make for interesting times.

The only good thing is that it is a Monday so the skiers will mostly be gone.

BK

Bruce K
08-23-2017, 07:38 PM
Finally home from our trip and thought I would post a couple of pictures....

Early on in the process

Almost total

And one from when we thought the clouds would rob us of being able to see the total eclipse.

BK

Bruce K
08-23-2017, 07:40 PM
And a couple of more.....

At totality where you can see the remnants of "Bailey's Beads"

Just past totality

The "Diamond Ring" just as totality ends

BK

avalonracing
08-23-2017, 07:51 PM
I watched it from Nashville and was lucky enough to be in a spot that wasn't obstructed by clouds like some of the area. I thought the "diamond ring" at the end was as amazing as the totality. That little tiny spot of sun was so intensely bright and cleanly white.

onekgguy
08-24-2017, 01:52 AM
We traveled to the small city of Raveena, Nebraska to try and find the clearest skies we could for the eclipse. We were mostly successful. We happened upon a family hosting an eclipse viewing from a hillside on their property and they were kind enough to allow us and many others to join them.

Here's a link to a video (https://youtu.be/oJhuMFio864) I took during the eclipse, and here's a link to a blogpost (http://onekgguy.blogspot.com/2017/08/tammy-and-kevins-big-adventure.html) I did about our trip.

Kevin g