PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try oversize deraileur pulleys?

CSKeller
08-07-2017, 11:05 PM
I have seen these occassionally on the internet and have seen some info that they are more efficient and save watts. Does anyone have any experience with these?

http://www.ceramicspeed.com/sport/products/OSPW

They don't make it for Campagnolo (my preferred and only choice in gruppo) but just wondering what other's experiences are.

Thanks!

dbnm
08-07-2017, 11:08 PM
I've been using these ceramic pulleys from Kogel for the last few months. I swear I can feel a difference and they really do spin for a very long time.

https://www.kogel.cc/collections/ceramic-derailleur-pulleys/products/the-not-for-instagram-pulleys

R3awak3n
08-08-2017, 05:50 AM
I've been using these ceramic pulleys from Kogel for the last few months. I swear I can feel a difference and they really do spin for a very long time.

https://www.kogel.cc/collections/ceramic-derailleur-pulleys/products/the-not-for-instagram-pulleys

I had ceramic pulleys on a record 10 speed rd that i bought off ebay. They spun forever, was neat but I did not feel a difference at all. Also have ceramic on super record cranks, feel no difference.

Have never tried the big pulleys though so I cannot comment on that aspect of it but I would not pay extra for ceramic, maybe a bit extra but not 10 times more

Ralph
08-08-2017, 06:11 AM
Won't it limit the large cog size you can use on cassette?

stien
08-08-2017, 06:14 AM
I've been curious, it's certainly not a difference you could feel (under a watt?). For us mere mortals, I doubt it's worth it.

Would I use them? Sure. Would I pay $250 or even $150 for a set? Nope. I do have a bent RD cage and have been debating a new RD vs replacing the cage with an aftermarket one.

Two sides of the story, racing vs not. You can get much more performance from latex tubes, nice tires. If you aren't running all the other gear like aero wheels, bike, handlebars, skinsuit, why bother with this? If you are and want moar watts, go for it.

For most people riding for enjoyment, save the $$ for something you'll actually notice like nicer wheels or tires.

avalonracing
08-08-2017, 07:03 AM
I think a very well-cleaned and lubed chain (opposed to the way most people ride them) would do more to reduce drive train resistance than hyper-smooth pulley bearings.

Ralph
08-08-2017, 07:08 AM
I think a very well-cleaned and lubed chain (opposed to the way most people ride them) would do more to reduce drive train resistance than hyper-smooth pulley bearings.

And put a little lite lube in the stock bushing pulleys. Or lite lube in the stock pulley's with small bearings....whichever you have.

false_Aest
08-08-2017, 08:36 AM
OSPW saves you 1.6-2.4 watts.

I doubt most of us would feel this but over the course of 40k or better, a 6/12/24-hour TT, I be you'd see a little dent in your distance/time.

Sure looked cool at NAHBS though. Esp the 3D printed titanium ones.

mgordon
08-08-2017, 08:53 AM
this would be absolutely last on my list of upgrades. but potentially still on it.

Fatty
08-08-2017, 09:37 AM
I stopped reading at price starts @ $499.

zap
08-08-2017, 09:47 AM
Oversized pulleys make some sense. Just like chain on big ring and big cog is more efficient than running small/small.

Ceramic bearings is a total waste of money and effort.

jds108
08-08-2017, 11:29 AM
Or just pay $3.29 if you want to give it a try:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jockey-Practical-Rear-Derailleur-Bike-Ceramic-Bearing-13T-Pulley-Wheel/182673306207?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=485223736715&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

fffuhq
08-08-2017, 01:19 PM
if they need replacement just get the ceramic but theyll eventually need to be changed. I probably would not go to the larger ones but the same size.:cool:

denapista
08-08-2017, 03:34 PM
I see them only as a way to lighten your overall build, as most of them are half the weigh of stock pulleys. Ceramic bearings don't hurt either.

It's like a butt dyno effect though.. You can't feel them, but you're more likely to feel everything in unison if you keep your drivetrain clean and lubed...

pasadena
08-08-2017, 04:15 PM
I'm all for bling but ceramic bearings and os pulleys are pure marketing and profit margin.

The common hybrid ceramic- it will be slower than a good quality steel bearing.
Pure ceramic bearings (ceramic bearings, cages and races) have a great use in high speed machinery. If we spun at 10,000rpm's, or used in medical equipment, than I would definitely use ceramic.

In cycling, it doesn't have any real benefit over a NTN steel bearing, for example. Those are like $8 each.

If your pulleys are on bushings, than any sealed bearing will make a big difference.

I am sure any new bearing or part will feel faster than used, old stuff.

I don't know if CeramicSpeed is a genius or what for selling cheap hybrid bearings at insane prices but I guess sponsorship is expensive.

The os pulleys look kind of cool though.

cnighbor1
08-08-2017, 05:32 PM
an oversize pulley used on the bottom pulley can extend the range RD can handle by at least 2t I done it

martl
08-09-2017, 05:03 AM
Oversized pulleys save tons of watts and improve your sex life.

Disclaimer: Do not use them in combination with ceramic bearings, oval chain rings, "breaze right" nasal strips and/or compression stockings without upgrading your braking system to discs, because you will have to brake hard on climbs <14% in order to not miss the hairpin bends.

oldpotatoe
08-09-2017, 07:29 AM
Oversized pulleys save tons of watts and improve your sex life.

Disclaimer: Do not use them in combination with ceramic bearings, oval chain rings, "breaze right" nasal strips and/or compression stockings without upgrading your braking system to discs, because you will have to brake hard on climbs <14% in order to not miss the hairpin bends.

:beer:

potd-don't forget a tapered fork.

sparky33
08-09-2017, 11:33 AM
Had a little time yesterday, so I whipped out the chain cleaner scrubber doo-dad (http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/chain-cleaning-with-a-park-tool-chain-scrubber). Cleaned up that grungy chain in a minute with $0.05 of citrus. Oh boy, serious nasty sludge left over in the reservoir

This morning's ride was sweet and brisk. I do love how freshly cleaned and lubed link pins look as they roll over the cassette teeth. Looks like free free watts.

sparky33
08-09-2017, 11:44 AM
I stopped reading at price starts @ $499.

Why is the price so incredibly high?
Is there any reason other than that's the price some will pay?