PDA

View Full Version : Campy Delta rubbing headset cup issue

KJMUNC
08-06-2017, 08:25 PM
Replaced my old pitted Campy Record headset with a Mavic 305. When I went to re-install my Campy Delta (4 pivot version if that matters), there's no clearance to the headset and when I tighten the brake bolt down the brake is completely jammed against the lower headset cup (see pic).

The result is that I can barely turn my bars, making it unrideable as it stands.

Has anyone experience this or something similar?

I'm thinking I could possibly either put a washer on the brake bolt to force the brake further away from the headset cup OR I could gently file down the rubber ring on the headset to give it enough clearance. I would like to avoid doing this, as I don't want to destroy the headset cup in the process.

Any ideas??

one60
08-06-2017, 08:30 PM
a couple of washer should buy you enough extra space?

zmudshark
08-06-2017, 08:52 PM
Star washer or two should do it. SOP

bikinchris
08-06-2017, 08:56 PM
Those brakes originally came with two serrated washers each and I think another spacer. So yes, putting a washer makes sense.

sipmeister
08-06-2017, 11:23 PM
Lemond Z? Very nice either way. Good choice with Delta. Of course I regret selling mine.

dddd
08-06-2017, 11:37 PM
Just add one more Campagnolo rondella dentata (toothed washer) to the mounting bolt and the problem should go away.

oldpotatoe
08-07-2017, 07:37 AM
Just add one more Campagnolo rondella dentata (toothed washer) to the mounting bolt and the problem should go away.

Yup, what y'all said..not uncommon with the 'far superior Delta Braking system'

;)Love mine on me Merckx.

saab2000
08-07-2017, 07:47 AM
I would consider a Campagnolo headset. It would match, it would likely clear the brake, it's somewhat rare (thus upping the cool factor times 10) and the modern ones are exceptional headsets in my experience. I operate three of them and they are flawless.