PDA

View Full Version : Carrying case for S&S coupled bike

pmarkos
08-06-2017, 05:05 PM
Looking for a case for my coupled bike. I'm hoping to find is a padded bag designed to hold a decoupled bike with the wheels on and seat in place. I'd like to use it while traveling by car for work. Just want to decouple the bike quickly, put it in the bag, and place it in the car. Is there anything like that available?

Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

adampaiva
08-07-2017, 12:09 PM
one of the rinko-designed bags seems like it could work well enough for this. Maybe not very padded, but if you are loading in the car yourself I'd think you should be able to be careful enough to not really require much padding.

pmarkos
08-29-2017, 02:54 PM
I thought rinko bags might work. I'll look into them. Has anyone tried them or something else for what I'm describing above?

thunderworks
08-29-2017, 02:59 PM
Have you considered using a furniture blanket to protect your car seat and not bagging the bike at all. . . seems simple enough if you're just loading the bike into and out of the car . . . for that matter, why even de-couple it? I was in the bike business for years and never found a car I couldn't get a bike into. Front wheel removed (occasionally the rear too, but not often), and voila . . . into the car it goes.

pmarkos
08-29-2017, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the suggestion.
I like the idea of a bag because it means it can be tucked in corners easier and other bags can be placed on top. It also makes it easier for passengers to work around and is more discrete. All helpfull when traveling for work in a company car.

I used to put a non coupled bike in my older and small Mazda. It kinda trashed my interior ( a furniture blanket would have been useful). I was also a hassle especially when trying to combine a bike ride with other plans.

08-29-2017, 10:40 PM
There are Cordura or neoprene covers (or you can make them) for the drivetrain, to keep the car clean. They work really well for that part of the problem.

You get a much more compact load if you do remove the wheels, and it only takes a second. Get one of those nice little chain carriers that goes in the right stay end and keeps the chain in place and tensioned.

When I was carrying both a road and a track bike in a car almost every day, I got four sheets of three-eighths inch neoprene covered both sides with nylon, glued them together along two adjacent sides, so I basically had four pockets. The neoprene protected everything really well and kept all grease away from other parts and from the car and passengers. I glued in some scrap neoprene in areas where the bike wanted to poke out, like pedals and rear derailleur. And glued in a few nylon straps and buckles to pull everything together and cinch it slightly. After I had it all glued up and working, I got a dive shop's repair shop to run stitching wherever I had glue. That made sure it would last forever. I used this for four years until I sold the car, and it would have lasted for the next fifty.

paredown
08-30-2017, 07:03 AM
I've seen these ones on eBay--not sure if they are generic or the same as the S&S people sell:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/S-and-S-coupler-backpack-soft-bicycle-travel-case-black-/180689107737?hash=item2a11e8fb19:g:uMsAAOSwDk5T4uu t

weisan
08-30-2017, 07:03 AM
There are Cordura or neoprene covers (or you can make them) for the drivetrain, to keep the car clean. They work really well for that part of the problem.

You get a much more compact load if you do remove the wheels, and it only takes a second. Get one of those nice little chain carriers that goes in the right stay end and keeps the chain in place and tensioned.

When I was carrying both a road and a track bike in a car almost every day, I got four sheets of three-eighths inch neoprene covered both sides with nylon, glued them together along two adjacent sides, so I basically had four pockets. The neoprene protected everything really well and kept all grease away from other parts and from the car and passengers. I glued in some scrap neoprene in areas where the bike wanted to poke out, like pedals and rear derailleur. And glued in a few nylon straps and buckles to pull everything together and cinch it slightly. After I had it all glued up and working, I got a dive shop's repair shop to run stitching wherever I had glue. That made sure it would last forever. I used this for four years until I sold the car, and it would have lasted for the next fifty.

11.4 pal, I really like your method/idea. You don't happen to have any pictures, do you? I want to make something like this.

08-30-2017, 10:38 AM
11.4 pal, I really like your method/idea. You don't happen to have any pictures, do you? I want to make something like this.

Sorry, I don't have the car and cut up and repurposed the bag to become dog seat covers in a truck. But you can visualize how it should work and can tailor it to your bike and how you like to pack it and so on. Dive shops have a neoprene cement that will make a very permanent bond with nylon-covered neoprene. The stitching is just for show. I also at one point got some hypalon and glued it over the joints (more than anything, you're just trying to cover up the glue lines, which tend to make it harder to slide the bag into position in the car). It isn't as aesthetic as the edge stitching, but works as well. The stitching a wetsuit repair shop can do completely wraps the butt end of the neoprene, covers any glue, and reinforces the joint. I think it probably wears faster than the neoprene glue will, but it's aesthetic and makes the bag slide easily into position.

weisan
08-30-2017, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the extra information, I am very much into stitching. :-)

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=195303&highlight=Singer

pmarkos
08-30-2017, 11:39 AM
11.4 thanks for the info. I think I'll give it a try. Definitly learned something today! Where the bikes you made the bags for coupled?

08-30-2017, 03:48 PM
11.4 thanks for the info. I think I'll give it a try. Definitly learned something today! Where the bikes you made the bags for coupled?

One was. I used variants on this with both coupled and uncoupled bikes. It doesn't really matter. On a coupled bike I just folded the cables over and didn't try to disconnect them -- I've never been a big fan of the quick cable disconnectors and would simply disconnect cables at the end when I was shipping by air.