PDA

View Full Version : Is my Chrous shifter on its way out?

tuxbailey
08-06-2017, 03:45 PM
While riding this morning, the clicking sound on the thumb shifter for the rear was suddenly muted. Everything still works fine but I don't get the satisfying click sound anymore...

Should I have it sent for a rebuild?

Ken Robb
08-06-2017, 04:07 PM
sounds like it needs some attention from Old Spud.

oldpotatoe
08-06-2017, 04:10 PM
While riding this morning, the clicking sound on the thumb shifter for the rear was suddenly muted. Everything still works fine but I don't get the satisfying click sound anymore...

Should I have it sent for a rebuild?

Broken spring carrier or broken spring or both. Send it to me for a one day turn around. $25 for a complete, front to back take apart, clean, lube. $6 for shift springs(there are 2) and $15 for spring carrier if ya need one. I use the 'ultra' fiber one, doesn't split.

Peter

tuxbailey
08-06-2017, 04:13 PM
Awesome. PMed for contact info.

FlashUNC
08-06-2017, 04:14 PM
G-springs. What errbody else said. Another reason the 11 speed stuff is improved, no need to worry about this.

rousseau
08-06-2017, 05:23 PM
G-springs. What errbody else said. Another reason the 11 speed stuff is improved, no need to worry about this.
Does this mean that the new stuff never deteriorates or breaks down? Or is it too early to tell?

I see the ability to replace the G-springs on the second generation Record/Chorus as a feature. I overhaul them by myself and they shift like brand new.

Mike V
08-06-2017, 06:35 PM
Broken spring carrier or broken spring or both. Send it to me for a one day turn around. $25 for a complete, front to back take apart, clean, lube. $6 for shift springs(there are 2) and $15 for spring carrier if ya need one. I use the 'ultra' fiber one, doesn't split.

Peter

What would it take to make my 9 speed Chorus to 10?

FlashUNC
08-06-2017, 07:08 PM
Does this mean that the new stuff never deteriorates or breaks down? Or is it too early to tell?

I see the ability to replace the G-springs on the second generation Record/Chorus as a feature. I overhaul them by myself and they shift like brand new.

Got a pair of 11 speed chorus shifters going on a decade old now. Still shift like new. Old Spud has more experience and seen more than anyone, but in my exeprience the 11 speed is way more reliable. None of the g spring maintenance schedule needs and overhauls.

oldpotatoe
08-07-2017, 07:40 AM

2009 UltraShift doesn't have G springs..no real sililar thing to wear out. Mostly needs cleaning, lube and sometimes a tightening of the wee 3mm bolts on front and rear of assembly(they can come loose). Also easy to convert early Ultrshift 10s to 11s and vice versa..11s to 10s..for Ultrashift..I have all the parts.

oldpotatoe
08-07-2017, 07:42 AM
What would it take to make my 9 speed Chorus to 10?

Shift disc and '10s' toothed gear for front-$45 for the disc, $15 for the tooth gear...$25 labor..I have that stuff AND as long as the lever is 1999 or later. Unable economically to convert the 1998 lever. Send me a pic of the back of the lever, plastic cap removed..and I can see if it's 1998 or 1999+

cp51errc@gmail.com