PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations: Bike Rack

co1111
08-05-2017, 10:30 PM
I'm looking for advice on a bike rack for transporting my variety of bikes. I have a FS MTBs (<3" wheels), road bikes including one rando-commuter with aluminum fenders, and kids bikes (20" wheels). The real challenge seems to be the bike with fenders and front rack.

My preference is a 2" hitch platform rack that could go up to 4 bikes. Any "one size fits all" options out there?

Thanks

(Ps - I did a brief search on the forum, but was having trouble with the search engine; likely due to operator error)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mgordon
08-05-2017, 10:33 PM
https://www.1upusa.com/bicycleracks.html are very well regarded and not quite as outdated as their website makes them seem.

froze
08-05-2017, 10:52 PM
After much research a few years ago I ended up getting a Bonelocker, now called SCS racks that incorporate a anti theft system into the rack. Instead of me banging endlessly on the keypad just read this site: http://www.scsrack.us/

ORMojo
08-05-2017, 11:07 PM
After much research a few years ago I ended up getting a Bonelocker, now called SCS racks that incorporate a anti theft system into the rack. Instead of me banging endlessly on the keypad just read this site: http://www.scsrack.us/

Nothing personal, but that isn't a platform rack.

1Up USA, period.

ofcounsel
08-05-2017, 11:10 PM
1up USA. Not the cheapest. But they are the best.

Here's a recent review.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/1up-usa-quik-rack-review-2017.html

Here's an older review

http://reviews.mtbr.com/1up-usa-bike-rack-review

froze
08-06-2017, 01:29 PM
Nothing personal, but that isn't a platform rack.

1Up USA, period.

None taken, after all it's just opinions; the SCS Bonelocker bike rack does take up to 4 bikes though and it's the most secured bike rack on the market against theft, no skinning little cables to snap off with wire cutters no instead they would have to cut a 5/8ths thick cold rolled piece of steel to get the bikes off, along with locking hitch pin locks, no hinges anywhere on the bike rack because hinges can be removed and then they remove your bikes. My bikes don't bump into each other going down the road either, nor does the rack lean with 4 bikes on it, each bike is individually cradled and each bike can be adjusted for separation and angle. I don't see anything that 1Up has that competes with all those features, but like you said, nothing personal just an opinion.

ofcounsel
08-06-2017, 03:02 PM
None taken, after all it's just opinions; the SCS Bonelocker bike rack does take up to 4 bikes though and it's the most secured bike rack on the market against theft, no skinning little cables to snap off with wire cutters no instead they would have to cut a 5/8ths thick cold rolled piece of steel to get the bikes off, along with locking hitch pin locks, no hinges anywhere on the bike rack because hinges can be removed and then they remove your bikes. My bikes don't bump into each other going down the road either, nor does the rack lean with 4 bikes on it, each bike is individually cradled and each bike can be adjusted for separation and angle. I don't see anything that 1Up has that competes with all those features, but like you said, nothing personal just an opinion.

Seems like it might work ok for road bikes. On full suspension mountain bikes, in particular those with shocks that connect to the top tube, this rack wouldn't work very well, if at all. Also, how does the rack keep the front wheel from moving around?

DRZRM
08-06-2017, 03:58 PM
I like my Kuat NV. Heavier that a 1Up for sure, but works for all those bike sizes you mention, including kids bike with an included adapter, easy to load, locks tour bike and is pretty easy to remove. 2" good for 4 bikes.

xjoex
08-06-2017, 04:02 PM
Another HUGE fan of Kuat NV here. I have the original and the 2.0. They fit road bikes, mountain bikes and fat bikes. They have built in locks and include everything you need. One of my favorite pieces is the built in cam to avoid shake.
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-f4TKLEKPYZA/V8-JU6wT26I/AAAAAAAAaT4/1pNQW6wxyn0AecRLN-fHI6QOLsFir8KiQCLcB/s800/P8200625.jpg
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-BDPVgApTLwE/V8-K4vfSDrI/AAAAAAAAaUI/Z98BTkQ1alQMNT8w4_3WoBt09tcHC4YsgCLcB/s800/P8190403.jpg

More pics and reviews here: http://robonza.blogspot.com/2016/09/review-kuat-nv-20-hitch-rack-improving.html

Cheers,
-Joe

djdj
08-06-2017, 04:12 PM
I have a Saris platform rack and it is terrific. My wife can lower and lift the rack when it is fully loaded with two mtb's and two road bikes. I don't think that is possible with a 1Up (at least that is what 1Up told be a few years ago when I was shopping for racks).

ofcounsel
08-06-2017, 06:54 PM
Another HUGE fan of Kuat NV here. I have the original and the 2.0. They fit road bikes, mountain bikes and fat bikes. They have built in locks and include everything you need. One of my favorite pieces is the built in cam to avoid shake.
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-f4TKLEKPYZA/V8-JU6wT26I/AAAAAAAAaT4/1pNQW6wxyn0AecRLN-fHI6QOLsFir8KiQCLcB/s800/P8200625.jpg
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-BDPVgApTLwE/V8-K4vfSDrI/AAAAAAAAaUI/Z98BTkQ1alQMNT8w4_3WoBt09tcHC4YsgCLcB/s800/P8190403.jpg

More pics and reviews here: http://robonza.blogspot.com/2016/09/review-kuat-nv-20-hitch-rack-improving.html

Cheers,
-Joe

I like the aesthetics of the Kuat

molly47
08-06-2017, 08:23 PM
I like the aesthetics of the Kuat

I have the Kuat and had issues in the winter with arms freezing and now alot of rust from new england winters

Timvan
08-07-2017, 07:26 AM
I've had great use out of the Rocky mounts split rail. Look into them, very sturdy setup.

douglas
08-07-2017, 08:00 AM
I have the Thule T2. It's heavy but it works fine. It can be expanded to be a 4 bike rack. I don't think it would work well with the fendered, front rack bike. I'm not sure how any of the racks mentioned in this thread would work with that bike.

Slowtalker
08-07-2017, 09:12 AM
I'll add another recommend for the Kuat. I've had mine for about 5 years. Backed into a telephone pole with it a few months ago, and got great service on their website for replacement parts. The rack is incredible sturdy and works for everything from my 29+ Stache to my kids 24" MTB. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170807/5781acbfaeeb74399bad80fffdb4e294.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ralph
08-07-2017, 09:14 AM
1UP is the best period. It also folds up for easy storage.....or for keeping in trunk.

Marc40a
08-07-2017, 11:20 AM
The 1UP looks like a nonstarter for bikes with fenders.

chiasticon
08-07-2017, 11:43 AM
The 1UP looks like a nonstarter for bikes with fenders.exactly. likewise with the kuat rack shown. both awesome racks, they're just not compatible with fenders.

fendered bikes are tough to find racks for, if your priority is stability. best option is actually something that suspends the bike from the top tube. those are the most flexible option in general. they're also usually pretty cheap. the downside is the bikes can swing back and forth on them, banging into one-another.

AJosiahK
08-07-2017, 11:48 AM
+ 1 for the 1up racks. Much better quality than most other brands and I've used em all over the years.

You can also start with a single bike set up as they allow you to purchase add ons that attach to your current setup. This is what I'm doing!

Ajk

Marc40a
08-07-2017, 12:03 PM
I'm looking for advice on a bike rack for transporting my variety of bikes. I have a FS MTBs (<3" wheels), road bikes including one rando-commuter with aluminum fenders, and kids bikes (20" wheels). The real challenge seems to be the bike with fenders and front rack.

My preference is a 2" hitch platform rack that could go up to 4 bikes. Any "one size fits all" options out there?

Thanks

(Ps - I did a brief search on the forum, but was having trouble with the search engine; likely due to operator error)

I use a Hollywood Rack for similar bikes. I use the 2 unit model - haven't tried expanding it to 4, though it is possible.

Sometimes I partially deflate the my 3" tires to fit more snugly, most of the time, I don't.

Ralph
08-07-2017, 12:14 PM
http://www.swagman.net/

Like I said above....after going thru about all the racks out there....finally just bit the bullet and got a 1UP......but otherwise would check out Swagman.....good Internet prices for cheaper racks. All kinds of racks. One of these carried two bikes cross country one time.

torquer
08-07-2017, 03:18 PM
The 1UP looks like a nonstarter for bikes with fenders.
They offer something called a fender cushion:
https://www.1upusa.com/product-fendercushion.html
No personal experience with these, but both the Mrs. and I are very pleased with our 1up rack for road bikes and the occasional balloon-tired cruiser.

co1111
08-07-2017, 04:03 PM
Thanks for all your input.

To the kuat and other "hook over front wheel users," a couple questions: could I place the hook far enough forward on my front wheel to avoid rack and fender and expect it to hold the bike securely? If not, could I place the hook directly over the rack securely? The rack is a Nitto 32f.

My FIL got a 1up and I was able to check it out for a few minutes with my Soma at hand. The good news is the arm on the front wheel meets the rubber of the tire and appears that it will work around all the extras. In the rear, however, the arm had to come forward so much that the sides of the arm contacted the fender stays while still having a gap between crossbar and fender. I suspect that lowering the cross piece of the rear arm would prevent this and provide a good connection to the fender (with cushion). Anyone have insight on adjusting these arms? I think the 1up is looking like the best option if this final obstruction can be avoided.

cp43
08-07-2017, 04:08 PM

To the kuat and other "hook over front wheel users," a couple questions: could I place the hook far enough forward on my front wheel to avoid rack and fender and expect it to hold the bike securely? If not, could I place the hook directly over the rack securely? The rack is a Nitto 32f.

My FIL got a 1up and I was able to check it out for a few minutes with my Soma at hand. The good news is the arm on the front wheel meets the rubber of the tire and appears that it will work around all the extras. In the rear, however, the arm had to come forward so much that the sides of the arm contacted the fender stays while still having a gap between crossbar and fender. I suspect that lowering the cross piece of the rear arm would prevent this and provide a good connection to the fender (with cushion). Anyone have insight on adjusting these arms? I think the 1up is looking like the best option if this final obstruction can be avoided.

Do you have a rear rack on the fendered bike?

A riding friend of mine has a 1up rack, and a fendered bike with a rear rack. He uses a piece of foam to get the rear arm of the rack to wedge in to the gap between the rack and fender. I've not verified the security of this setup, but he's a pretty picky guy for this kind of stuff, so I suspect that it works very well.

Chris

co1111
08-07-2017, 04:18 PM
I do not have a rear rack at this time.

ORMojo
08-07-2017, 04:34 PM
I have used my 1Up (both with their fender cushion, and prior to having that, with my own DYI cushion) with both fenders and racks. I have successfully moved the arm far enough forward until the rack stopped it so that the arm could secure the tire/wheel.

However . . . I will NOT speak to your specific setup, for obvious reasons!

While I don't have any rack-mounted photos handy, I have, for example, carried this on the 1Up multiple times!

Slipstream
08-07-2017, 05:22 PM
I went through this decision in the spring and got the Thule T2. I wanted the 1up but couldn't justify the price difference. It carries fat bikes, 27+, and my road bike. Like the 1up it doesn't touch the frame which isn't ideal for carbon or paint. I got the 2 bike config but it does come in a 4 bike set up. Good pricing on Amazon. The only drawback I've seen is weight. It's heavy, but also solid. My buddy has one and his wife backed into something w it and last weekend he plowed it into some earth when backing up to a hill. It's a little bent but fine and can be easily straightened. The arm over the wheel is usually set at 1 or 2:00 on a clock dial and may work around fenders.

trener1
08-07-2017, 05:23 PM
I have the Swagman Semi and have been really happy with it.
But I am not sure about the rack..

http://www.swagman.net/

Like I said above....after going thru about all the racks out there....finally just bit the bullet and got a 1UP......but otherwise would check out Swagman.....good Internet prices for cheaper racks. All kinds of racks. One of these carried two bikes cross country one time.

co1111
08-07-2017, 05:25 PM
I don't know whether this adds to the discussion, but here is a mediocre photo of the bike in questionhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170807/30d18b4391899052bbc1d056cd005089.jpg

froze
08-07-2017, 06:05 PM
Seems like it might work ok for road bikes. On full suspension mountain bikes, in particular those with shocks that connect to the top tube, this rack wouldn't work very well, if at all. Also, how does the rack keep the front wheel from moving around?

The SCS Bonelocker works just fine for suspension MTB's as shown in their videos, and bikes with fenders are no problem either. The front wheel issue is as simple as a bungee cord, I simply use a bungee cord and strap the front wheel to the down tube, or you can use velcro, either way is fine and won't interfere with fenders.

livingminimal
08-07-2017, 06:06 PM
Another vote for the Kuat 4-bike tray.

Slipstream
08-07-2017, 06:33 PM
i think that would be fine w the Thule. It fits over the 27.5+
mtn bike tire easily. And w a full fat bike tire. It just depends on how hard you clamp down on the fender without bending it.

I don't know whether this adds to the discussion, but here is a mediocre photo of the bike in questionhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170807/30d18b4391899052bbc1d056cd005089.jpg

ofcounsel
08-07-2017, 11:32 PM

Lowering the cross piece is super easy. Takes all of 30 seconds with a socket wrench. I do it when I lower it to fit my son's 24" wheeled bike, then raise the cross piece back up to better fit my friend's 29er. You'll see there are 7 different holes on the arms where the cross piece can slide into. 1up also sells some cushions that mount to the cross piece to hold fendered bikes in place. And they sell adapters for fat tired bikes. But you don't need them for 27.5+ tires. My wife's bike is a 27.5x3.0, and the rack works fine without adapters.

sdrides
08-08-2017, 01:38 AM
I was in your shoes a few years ago and ended up settling for a 2-bike Thule 990XT (apparently) when we had too many different front axles and couldn't keep enough adapters around for the old fork mounts/trays on the roof. It was what they had at the shop that day, but I'm actually glad we went 2-bike. On the rare occasion we've had 3+, we've been able to use the roof to fill in, but it almost never happens.

It clamps onto the top tubes and the only bikes it HASN'T worked for are a Strider (just barely couldn't get the arm low enough) and a cargo bike (super long wheelbase). Other than that it's done everything we've asked it to and never even come loose - fenders, racks, etc. have never been an issue. We also can fold up our Chariot and clamp it into one of the bike spots.

The mechanisms have a pretty cheesy feel to their action but I have to say it's held up with just an occasional squirt of WD-40. Ours gets a lot of abuse going up and down dirt roads every day in the summer, plus some road salt and grime in the winter. It's kind of ugly and clunky and I keep telling myself I'll replace it with a 1 Up when it breaks, it just keeps on not breaking. It's on the back of a Jetta, and when we are fully loaded it regularly hits the ground in driveways and such (we call it Griswold'ing), with no ill effects yet observed.

Looks like they have a new model out, but EMS has ours for $250.

Marc40a
08-08-2017, 08:18 AM
I was in your shoes a few years ago and ended up settling for a 2-bike Thule 990XT (apparently) when we had too many different front axles and couldn't keep enough adapters around for the old fork mounts/trays on the roof. It was what they had at the shop that day, but I'm actually glad we went 2-bike. On the rare occasion we've had 3+, we've been able to use the roof to fill in, but it almost never happens.

It clamps onto the top tubes and the only bikes it HASN'T worked for are a Strider (just barely couldn't get the arm low enough) and a cargo bike (super long wheelbase). Other than that it's done everything we've asked it to and never even come loose - fenders, racks, etc. have never been an issue. We also can fold up our Chariot and clamp it into one of the bike spots.

The mechanisms have a pretty cheesy feel to their action but I have to say it's held up with just an occasional squirt of WD-40. Ours gets a lot of abuse going up and down dirt roads every day in the summer, plus some road salt and grime in the winter. It's kind of ugly and clunky and I keep telling myself I'll replace it with a 1 Up when it breaks, it just keeps on not breaking. It's on the back of a Jetta, and when we are fully loaded it regularly hits the ground in driveways and such (we call it Griswold'ing), with no ill effects yet observed.

"Griswolding" heh heh

Fatty
08-08-2017, 10:06 AM

Welcome, Hi, Hey and Hello

Griswold'ing yeah funny I'll remember that one.

fffuhq
08-08-2017, 01:23 PM
Kuat NV is my weapon of choice. It'll cost you though.