PDA

View Full Version : OT advantage of a folding Bike Friday

cnighbor1
08-05-2017, 07:17 PM
I meet the person who owned and designed the bike Friday it is designed to ride and handle same has a road bike
which is a big plus
A woman passed me on one today going 20 mph
The wheelbase matches that of a road bike
and it fits in a suitcase Than you can attach Fridays wheels too along with a tow arm and leave the airport on the bike and your soft luggage now in the rigid suit case Than leave the suit case at the hotel while you go out for a ride

bikinchris
08-05-2017, 07:29 PM
Another advantage is when you fly, because you have a Samsonite suitcase, they don't even ask "What's in the box" like if you have a bike box, some airlines charge out the nose for bikes when you fly.

eddief
08-05-2017, 07:33 PM
1. is climbing out of the saddle with your head hanging over that 20 inch wheel. It feels weird and forced me into a real bike with couplers.

2. i do believe small wheels are just fine but tend to react in a more pronounced way to cracks in the road.

That being said, those guys make some fine road rockets:

https://www.bikefriday.com/folding-bikes/bikes/super-pro/

fogrider
08-06-2017, 07:53 PM
Bike Fridays are great, but they have their limitations. the 20" wheels are good for maybe 20 mph. the handling does feel like a normal road bike, but again, there are limits. at higher speeds it's not as stable as a full size bike. and then weight. while a Bike Friday is reasonable, it is not 15 pounds. so yeah for travel, it's great for travel. I wish they made a travel road bike with 650c wheels.

FlashUNC
08-06-2017, 08:21 PM
The downside is you have to go out and ride a Bike Friday in public.

Ken Robb
08-06-2017, 10:12 PM
I thought my New World Tourist rode just fine. It was plenty stable but I didn't like riding it "no-hands" but that really didn't matter.

paredown
08-07-2017, 05:49 AM
A friend brought an Airnimal on the last tour I was on.

I thought it was very cool; excellent decoupling/folding mech.

There's one on eBay now--it's even full Campy:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Premium-Travel-Bike-Airnimal-Chameleon-Campy-Record-Groupo-/253042581833?hash=item3aea836149:g:qYwAAOSwePhZelo 0

charliedid
08-07-2017, 08:45 AM
Wonderful bikes.

Don't worry Flash, nobody cares.

93legendti
08-07-2017, 08:51 AM
Wonderful bikes.

Don't worry Flash, nobody cares.

+1

I've taken mine overseas 10 times and to Florida several times. 10-15 minutes to setup/breakdown. Folds small for keeping in the car. I have 2. I had a Ritchey coupled bike and a S&S coupled bike. I prefer the BF. Ymmv.