PDA

View Full Version : cycling caps where the lid stays flipped...

AngryScientist
08-05-2017, 06:42 PM
i'm getting frustrated by a few of the recent cycling caps i've purchased.

indeed, i wear a cycling cap under my helmet on 100% of my rides. my preferred wear is with the lid forward flipped up most of the time. flipped down in rain or strong head-on sun, or flipped backwards for sun beating down from the rear on my neck.

anyway, i like a nice breathable cap, and a bunch of the ones i've bought recently have a bill that wont stay flipped up. as in: when i'm riding into the wind, the lid flips down, obscuring my forward view and generally pissing me off.

the assos cap i just bought is by far - the worst offender. terrible design for me.

anyway - who do you like for a good lightweight cap that's breathable for warm weather that the lid stays flipped up?

AngryScientist
08-05-2017, 06:45 PM
this is the preferred riding setup:

https://cdn-cyclingtips.pressidium.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/potd_8551776.jpg

or this under helmet style:

https://cdn-cyclingtips.pressidium.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/PIC146840428.jpg

biker72
08-05-2017, 06:52 PM
I have a couple that may not be available to the general public. I have a Trek Factory Racing and a Cervelo R Series cap that were given to me by my boss at the bike shop where I work.

Both really nice caps. The Cervelo was made in Italy.

dustyrider
08-05-2017, 06:58 PM
I've never worn a cycling cap, but I've almost bought one from rothera cause they have some super cool prints from time to time. I think a few folks here mentioned them and may be able to comment on the lid stability if you do a search. Maybe one day when I'm feeling adventurous I'll try one...

zmudshark
08-05-2017, 07:01 PM
I have the collectable, and super awesome Tutti Frutti Paceline cap, a couple of them.

Can't be beat.

Maybe time for Jason to do another batch?

dave thompson
08-05-2017, 07:24 PM
Soft bills on modern cycling caps don't like to stay folded up, at least on my noggin. I've got several old Serotta caps with stiff bills that are perfect.

OtayBW
08-05-2017, 07:27 PM
I came across a cap from this company that has stood up well with no lid flop at all. It's 100% poly and wicks very well. A little bit different, but it works very well for me. https://www.twinsix.com/collections/headwear/products/artcrank-tech-cap-2017?variant=36355365958

choke
08-05-2017, 07:28 PM
The most breathable cap that I've ever used are the Castelli Performance....with a good side wind you can feel the air flow through the back half. They are more expensive than a typical cap but they're worth it IMO. https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/castelli-performance-cycling-cap

I have no problem with the bill staying up on caps from Castelli, Cinelli and Apis-made like the ones that Prendas sells.

572cv
08-05-2017, 08:03 PM
My Paceline cap does a good bill flip!:banana::banana:

Peter P.
08-05-2017, 08:07 PM
In addition to the stiffness of the bill, the SIZE of the bill plays a role in "bill flippage".

In my opinion, most caps today have bills that are too large.

Could be that's part of your problem.

Stick with genuine Made In Italy caps; even the Pace brand caps have bills that are too large even if you select their smallest bill.

How difficult is it to copy the bill of a euro-pro cap?!

charliedid
08-05-2017, 08:20 PM
RApha Classic. They probably have ruined them since I bought em but they suit me fine. I like that they are more than one size fits all.

rustychisel
08-05-2017, 08:42 PM
In addition to the stiffness of the bill, the SIZE of the bill plays a role in "bill flippage".

In my opinion, most caps today have bills that are too large.

Could be that's part of your problem.

Stick with genuine Made In Italy caps; even the Pace brand caps have bills that are too large even if you select their smallest bill.

How difficult is it to copy the bill of a euro-pro cap?!

Agree about the size of the bill. Size matters.

My favourite is a yellow "Baggio Montreal" cap given to me about 39 years ago. Still good and flips fine. Is that some kind of record?

John H.
08-05-2017, 09:07 PM
The real Italian caps are made by Apis- many brands use these caps.
They are basic cotton caps, one size fits most, the bill is small.

wombatspeed
08-05-2017, 09:22 PM
I like those Castelli caps, too. but I have a black and a white one. the white one has a bill that stays flipped up. The black one (identical model/vintage & bought with the white one) has a bill that often flips down by itself in even moderate headwinds.

It seems a crapshoot what you get, even within the same cap...

The most breathable cap that I've ever used are the Castelli Performance....with a good side wind you can feel the air flow through the back half. They are more expensive than a typical cap but they're worth it IMO. https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/castelli-performance-cycling-cap

I have no problem with the bill staying up on caps from Castelli, Cinelli and Apis-made like the ones that Prendas sells.

zennmotion
08-05-2017, 09:25 PM
i'm getting frustrated by a few of the recent cycling caps i've purchased.

indeed, i wear a cycling cap under my helmet on 100% of my rides. my preferred wear is with the lid forward flipped up most of the time. flipped down in rain or strong head-on sun, or flipped backwards for sun beating down from the rear on my neck.

anyway, i like a nice breathable cap, and a bunch of the ones i've bought recently have a bill that wont stay flipped up. as in: when i'm riding into the wind, the lid flips down, obscuring my forward view and generally pissing me off.

the assos cap i just bought is by far - the worst offender. terrible design for me.

anyway - who do you like for a good lightweight cap that's breathable for warm weather that the lid stays flipped up?

From your good friend Josh across the hall, an awesome all cotton cap with a bill just the right size that stays in place. Any color you want, as long as it's white. Or Black.
http://www.nixfrixshun.com/cycling-caps-white/
Seriously, this will make you happy. All cotton + waterbottle soaking in mid-atlantic Summer Torpor = air conditioning. I didn't use to wear caps until I got one of these, now I have two and I rarely ride without one anymore, flipped up or down to suit the mood and the weather. Comes in 2 sizes, normal, and abnormally large if you look like Shrek.
And buy a bottle of NFS lube while you're there, all your cycling dreams come true! And he ships fast BTW.

shoota
08-05-2017, 09:26 PM
Weird - I can’t find a cap that will stay flipped down.

fiamme red
08-05-2017, 09:32 PM
I've bought a lot of 100% cotton Italian caps from Nashbar (I don't think they still sell them). The bills always stay up or down.

choke
08-05-2017, 10:05 PM
Weird - I can’t find a cap that will stay flipped down.I ride with the bill down probably 75% of the time and the ones that I mentioned all stay that way.

shoota
08-05-2017, 10:42 PM
I ride with the bill down probably 75% of the time and the ones that I mentioned all stay that way.

Oh my bad I must have misread. Yes, I have the same problem. One time through the drier and the bill is fuqed. By far the best caps I’ve used to date are the cheapo Giros. Stiff bill, light weight material, and cheap.

Peter P.
08-06-2017, 05:17 AM
One time through the drier and the bill is fuqed.

Tip: Aside from cracking the bill if it's washed with a full load of clothes-I suppose the same thing could happen bouncing around in a dryer-I've found a way to repair cycling cap bills if they get all warped from the heat.

Use an iron. I thought I was crazy but applying an iron at moderate heat restored a presumably unsalvageable cycling cap.

Otherwise, wash and dry them with very light loads, or hand wash and line dry. The bills get crushed in a normal wash load.

SlowPokePete
08-06-2017, 06:18 AM
Rothera makes awesome caps.

I've got more than I'd like to admit, with two more on the way (yup, ones's the pinstripe F/U).

The "black and tan" is awesome in the heat.

Tuesday specials, etc, etc...

https://rotheracycling.com

SPP

shoota
08-06-2017, 11:04 AM
Tip: Aside from cracking the bill if it's washed with a full load of clothes-I suppose the same thing could happen bouncing around in a dryer-I've found a way to repair cycling cap bills if they get all warped from the heat.

Use an iron. I thought I was crazy but applying an iron at moderate heat restored a presumably unsalvageable cycling cap.

Otherwise, wash and dry them with very light loads, or hand wash and line dry. The bills get crushed in a normal wash load.

I've actually been meaning to get the iron out and try that. Glad to hear it works.