PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Edie 820 not shutting off properly

solrider
08-04-2017, 03:06 PM
I have the Garmin Edge 820 and for some reason it won't shut off all the way. When I hold the power button down, it gives me a lock screen, sleep and power off options. but when I push the power off button, it freezes and it won't do anything. did anyone have this issue? I've done multiple reset's and it will work fine for few times and back at it again... so annoying...

guido
08-04-2017, 03:10 PM
Hasn't happened with mine yet.

rnhood
08-04-2017, 04:18 PM
You might try merely touching then removing your finger from the "Power Off" option. Don't hold your finger on the option for a second or two. Just touch and release. If you have tried this and it still locks, then I would call Garmin support. They are pretty good about resolving problems. If there is indication that there may be a problem, they will send a refurb unit and you return your unit.

solrider
08-04-2017, 04:55 PM
You might try merely touching then removing your finger from the "Power Off" option. Don't hold your finger on the option for a second or two. Just touch and release. If you have tried this and it still locks, then I would call Garmin support. They are pretty good about resolving problems. If there is indication that there may be a problem, they will send a refurb unit and you return your unit.

I tried just touching the power off option but it freezes and doesn't do anything... just contacted Garmin and they said it could be due to few things:
1. any uploaded maps
2. live segments
3. any tmp files
4. all my ride files (WT???)

so they said to delete all that and use it again normally and see what happens. As soon as I removed all the data (I really didn't want to) but it started to shut off. I will try using it again and post after here.

rnhood
08-04-2017, 05:00 PM
I dump the ride files on occasion, as they can fill up memory. Not a problem since rides always upload to Garmin Connect, and all the other places that you want to upload to (RideWithGPS, MapMyRide, Strava, etc). They upload automatically by getting the info from Garmin Connect.

I should have mentioned, I did have a similar issue when I put an App on mine (from the IQ store). I had to remove the App then it shut down properly. Most of the Apps don't work properly so the only one I use is the Accuweather Minutecast widget. It happens to work really nice.

drewellison
08-04-2017, 06:34 PM
This solution fixed my 520. It may work for your 820, too.

http://www.wahoofitness.com/devices/bike-computers/gps-bike-computer-elemnt

solrider
08-06-2017, 11:23 AM
dumped all my files and after 2 rides, no other problems, yet... my live segments werent going off so i have to see if that was the reason for the glitch. will post update later.