PDA

View Full Version : Please recommend a light (pocket stowable) rain jacket.

simplemind
08-04-2017, 12:34 PM
After getting caught in a driving, cold rain yesterday, I've decided to invest in a decent rain jacket. Requirements are 1) as breathable as possible, 2) can stow in jersey pocket, 3) doesn't flap in wind.

My use is dedicated rides, not commuting.

AngryScientist
08-04-2017, 12:37 PM
i am also interested.

maybe i havent tried any of the "good" stuff, but it's my experience that anything that's going to actually be waterproof against the rain, will not breath well enough in warm weather to keep from soaking with sweat.

curious what others use.

RobJ
08-04-2017, 12:40 PM
The Castelli Sottile Due jacket has served me well. Not a 100% waterproof of course so if you need that, look elsewhere. But it's very form-fitting and packs up really small. Nice breathability too with underarm vents.

Looks like Backcountry has a nice sale on them too!

http://bit.ly/2huZfRC

simplemind
08-04-2017, 12:42 PM
i am also interested.

maybe i havent tried any of the "good" stuff, but it's my experience that anything that's going to actually be waterproof against the rain, will not breath well enough in warm weather to keep from soaking with sweat.

curious what others use.

I have a common Castelli cycling vest with a mesh back that does well re sweating. It's mostly designed for wind, but I guess if it had arms with vents, it would suffice.
The new Gore Shakedry stuff looks good, but not sure how well it breaths.

chiasticon
08-04-2017, 12:48 PM
rapha has some on sale right now. always worked great for me. the wind jackets breathe better than the rain ones, but will soak through faster. which one you'd need depends upon how often you get caught out in total downpours, how hard you ride in them, and how long you continue to ride once caught out.

cpamplin
08-04-2017, 12:53 PM
I have a Castelli Pocket Liner that I got for about half price. Totally waterproof, breathable, stows in a pocket. Genius except for the fact that the Velcro closures stick to the textured fabric, causing very noticeable microtears and snags. After a couple years of periodic use it looks terrible. Even at 50% off I would not buy again - but if it had a waterproof zipper or snaps instead of Velcro it would be the perfect rain jacket.

I really want to try a Gore ONE, but $$$

dbrown
08-04-2017, 12:57 PM
I bought a Gore Tex One last year before they started calling it Shake Dry. It is amazing light ( 4 oz?). It is so cool to the skin- no clammy feel.

It is so nice we bought my wife the North Face version, which I think is nicer (it has pockets, a hood with a draw string, and less money).

We have both been using our jackets whenever it rains, not just as active wear. I hope see it on a trip in Holland last year, it performed very well and was easy to pack.

ltwtsculler91
08-04-2017, 01:16 PM
For a packable, waterproof and breathable jacket nothing beats the Gore One jackets

The only thing I've worn that's been better has been my Assos SturmPrinz but that isn't exactly easily packable while riding and takes up 100% of a pocket that it is in

dustyrider
08-04-2017, 01:37 PM
We don't get much rain here and when we do it's usually welcomed. I picked up a mountain hardware jacket awhile back...I believe it's now known as ghost. Basically it stuffs into the size of a 25c inner tube and always lives in my jersey pocket. It's not really super breathe-able or form fitting, but it will warm you up and keep the wet off enough to be worthwhile for a jersey pocket jacket. Patagonia has something similar as well. I think it is known as the Houdini.

Again these are not about riding comfort or seasonal rain gear just super small and lightweight gear to get you to an underpass/home or raise your core temp.

joosttx
08-04-2017, 01:38 PM
This is the best:

http://www.goreapparel.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-GoreUS-Site/default/mProduct-Show?pid=JROFOC&dwvar_JROFOC_color=9900&dwvar_JROFOC_size=XXL&start=2&cgid=gbw-men-geartype-jackets

Super compactable and dry. It defies physics. Only negative is only comes in black. I think the Castellu rain jackets are made of the same fabric.

OldCrank
08-04-2017, 01:50 PM
If it's too cold for a longsleeve jersey but too warm for a jacket, I use Showers Pass jacket & pants, mostly for my short commute.
It's a raincoat.

<edit> whoops just noticed the Non-Flap requirement. Unless you're built just so, I'm forecasting flappage.

simonov
08-04-2017, 02:06 PM
Another vote for the gore one. It's fantastic.

quattro
08-04-2017, 02:18 PM
I just purchased the Sportful NoRain HotPack Ultralight Jacket, new for 2017, great jacket, fully waterproof, breathable, packs very small, price is right at $159, if you can find it. I ended up dealing directly with the Sportful USA rep., nobody in the USA has it yet and European sites won't ship to the USA, go figure.

https://www.sportful.com/Root/Cycling/Jackets/HOT-PACK-NORAIN-ULTRALIGHT-JACKET/p/110162817P

zennmotion
08-04-2017, 02:35 PM
This is the best:

http://www.goreapparel.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-GoreUS-Site/default/mProduct-Show?pid=JROFOC&dwvar_JROFOC_color=9900&dwvar_JROFOC_size=XXL&start=2&cgid=gbw-men-geartype-jackets

Super compactable and dry. It defies physics. Only negative is only comes in black. I think the Castellu rain jackets are made of the same fabric.

As long as we're considering silly expensive, I really like my Search and State S1J, I think made with the same fabric. Comes in other colors than just black, but none that are bright. Amazing fabric though- the S&S runs slim so pay attention to sizing, I usually wear M in jerseys and jackets, but the L S&S
fits me.

quattro
08-04-2017, 02:42 PM

quattro
08-04-2017, 02:44 PM
A couple pictures of the packed Sportful jacket
Sorry, couldn't get the pictures to load.

choke
08-04-2017, 03:04 PM
The Endura FS260 Pro is very nice and breathes quite well IMO.

Heisenberg
08-04-2017, 03:17 PM
Castelli Idro. The end. No question. Fully waterproof, packs to Clifbar size, looks great.

dton
08-04-2017, 03:42 PM
The best new rain jackets all incorporate Gore's Shakedry fabric. This is the lightest and most breathable waterproof fabric you can purchase (afaik). Almost everything else would pale in comparison (regular goretex, polartec, etc). On the flipside, they are also the most expensive and potentially overkill for what you're looking for (occasional or unexpected rain)

The most well known jackets that incorporate that fabric are

Gore One (http://www.goreapparel.com/gore-bike-wear/men/one-gore-tex-active-bike-jacket-with-shakedry/JROFOC.html)
Castelli Idro (https://www.castelli-cycling.com/Products/Men/Tops/Protection/IDRO-JACKET/p/451660017P)
7Mesh Oro (http://www.7meshinc.com/7messages/product/oro-jacket/)

Of the three, I would go with 7mesh Oro because it is the lightest, has passthrough vents to access your pockets, and has built in pocket/stuff sack. Being from the PNW, 7Mesh also knows how to make a good rain jacket, their background in highly technical mountaineering helps as well. Most reviews have commented that the 7Mesh has a better fit than the Gore jacket as well. Can't comment on the Castelli.

Whether its worth the price as an emergency jacket is another story ;)

edit: disclaimer, I don't work for 7mesh, but have experience with their products and they make amazing technical wear that I wish I had more money for.

ravdg316
08-04-2017, 03:54 PM
Got it for 25% off too (pm me for the code). Will report back once I've had a chance to use it -- unfortunately it's like 150 degrees here in LA right now

Heisenberg
08-04-2017, 04:39 PM
The best new rain jackets all incorporate Gore's Shakedry fabric. This is the lightest and most breathable waterproof fabric you can purchase (afaik). Almost everything else would pale in comparison (regular goretex, polartec, etc). On the flipside, they are also the most expensive and potentially overkill for what you're looking for (occasional or unexpected rain)

The most well known jackets that incorporate that fabric are

Gore One (http://www.goreapparel.com/gore-bike-wear/men/one-gore-tex-active-bike-jacket-with-shakedry/JROFOC.html)
Castelli Idro (https://www.castelli-cycling.com/Products/Men/Tops/Protection/IDRO-JACKET/p/451660017P)
7Mesh Oro (http://www.7meshinc.com/7messages/product/oro-jacket/)

Of the three, I would go with 7mesh Oro because it is the lightest, has passthrough vents to access your pockets, and has built in pocket/stuff sack. Being from the PNW, 7Mesh also knows how to make a good rain jacket, their background in highly technical mountaineering helps as well. Most reviews have commented that the 7Mesh has a better fit than the Gore jacket as well. Can't comment on the Castelli.

edit: disclaimer, I don't work for 7mesh, but have experience with their products and they make amazing technical wear that I wish I had more money for.

Yeah, agreed on the 7mesh fit vs. Gore. The Castelli uses a zipper which adds a bit of weight instead of slits. Cut on the Castelli is also slimmer/more race.

quattro
08-04-2017, 05:43 PM
Castelli Idro. The end. No question. Fully waterproof, packs to Clifbar size, looks great.

And you can get it in any color as long as it's black!
Ha, ha! I like to be seen so I'm wearing bright colors, especially
In gray rainy weather, but to each his own.

DavidC
08-04-2017, 06:44 PM
I just finished using the Rapha rain jacket for a couple rainy (PacNW) winters. I say "finished" because it started leaking through everywhere. I talked to Rapha, and they agreed I took proper care of it, but they simply said "nothing lasts forever." (Not a direct quote.) For $290 I expect a lot more than 2 seasons of use.

My plan is to next try one of the GoreTex products people listed (Gore, Castelli, 7mesh) or the Showers Pass Spring Classic (https://www.showerspass.com/collections/mens-jackets/products/mens-spring-classic-jacket?variant=27454406469). I've tried on the latter and I like it, but it's not super small. Would fit in a pocket though. They had Katusha use it a couple years ago, but I don't think they got the advertising bang-for-the-buck they wanted.

The Cadence Kenton 3L (https://www.cadencecollection.com/collections/jackets-vests/products/kenton-3l-rain-jacket-black) is supposed to be great, but I don't know how small it packs....

Also, my ideal jacket is not black (since it's generally not too bright out when it's raining), but also not high-vis. Why can't so many of these companies make a bright red or blue?? Rapha get some points for some of it's products coming in multiple colors, some of which aren't black or high-vis!

Gummee
08-04-2017, 08:50 PM
I'm about to pick up a Climaschutz, but I haven't worn it yet.

I HAVE worn a Gore Oxygen and a Gore Xenon half-sleeve hardshell. My favorite rain jacket is the half-sleeve Xenon. Warm enough to be warm enough in the winter. The half sleeves means you don't overhear (as much) in the summer.

M

Willy
08-04-2017, 11:19 PM
And you can get it in any color as long as it's black!
Ha, ha! I like to be seen so I'm wearing bright colors, especially
In gray rainy weather, but to each his own.

Why would anyone buy/make a cycling jacket (much less a rain jacket) that is Black? All three of the listed jackets are only available in black! From the movie Mash - "Suicide is painless"

DavidC
08-04-2017, 11:26 PM
Why would anyone buy/make a cycling jacket (much less a rain jacket) that is Black? All three of the listed jackets are only available in black! From the movie Mash - "Suicide is painless"

Well the answer to why a company would make it is because people will buy it.

Now as to why people would buy it...looking good is better than being safe, duh! ;)

joosttx
08-04-2017, 11:49 PM

Now as to why people would buy it...looking good is better than being safe, duh! ;)

I have a feeling that your cynical quip is wrong. I would guess is that the fabric can only be made in black. I cannot imagine three companies making only black rain jackets. Companies like to differentiate their products from one another.
Color is the simplest way to differentiate. I mean if two were black and one was chartreuse. That chartreuse would really stand out. Reread, the descriptions on each shake dry jacket in this thread. They are all stretching for differentiation. Better zipper.... no zipper... vented, etc. It would be a lot easier just to say "Castelli is chartreuse and the others are black." There has to be another reason why they are all black than just fashion.

I have pretty bright front and rear lights. I am pretty sure the make me plenty visible when I am wearing the gore jacket in the rain. I also wear a chartreuse lazer helmet with a blinkie in it in the winter (rainy season). This combination makes me feel visiable on the road.

With all that said the shake dry fabric is awesome worth the dough but I would like to see it in chartreuse.

DavidC
08-05-2017, 12:50 AM
I have a feeling that your cynical quip is wrong. I would guess is that the fabric can only be made in black. I cannot imagine three companies making only black rain jackets. Companies like to differentiate their products from one another.

Interesting, I hadn't thought about maybe the fabric is unique in a way that makes it only be able to be black. Or maybe Gore only produces in low enough quantities currently that they're just doing one color.

But as for color choice, I think all clothes in cycling are like shorts: I will only ever wear black cycling shorts. Lots of companies make white shorts, and red shorts, and chartreuse shorts; I think they look horrible and won't buy them. Probably 90% of shorts in cycling are black because 90% of people want to wear black 90% of the time. Of course I made those numbers up, and of course rain jackets are different, but people like black!! Shoes, socks, gloves, arm/knee warmers...all are mostly black. I don't get it with jackets, I will only buy something with bold color. But clearly the average cyclist wants black for jackets as well.

zennmotion
08-05-2017, 06:14 AM
I found this article on cyclist visibility interesting- basically that bright colors aren't as effectively visible as we like to think. I have a Search and State jacket in black. Against the rain and breathability, it's amazing. I still wish I could have it in a safety color, but I agree that it may be possible that the high tech fabric can't be done in colors that aren't dark- there's a fair amount of materials science going on there. Anyway, there's always reflective vests, and the article suggests bright shoes and socks as more effective than bright tops. I hate the look of clown colored shoes, but maybe need to reconsider... Because, science!

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2013/jan/10/cycling-high-visibility-safe-fluorescent

ldamelio
08-05-2017, 08:11 AM
https://www.showerspass.com/collections/mens-jackets/products/pro-tech-st?variant=27453862597

I've been very happy with this. Packable, breathable, durable. The see through is nice for racing - numbers can be read through it. I have a Sportful vest that seems to be made of the same material and give that two thumbs up also.

fignon's barber
08-05-2017, 09:12 AM
I've got an Assos sj.BlitzFeder that works well. Light, no flapping, perfect fit, well made, easily packable, water repellent (not waterproof). Comes in hi viz yellow. Price reasonable if you shop around.

simplemind
08-05-2017, 09:41 AM

Thanks for that input. It's hard to say if it's "worth it" until you're in the middle of a wet ride, then it suddenly becomes "worth it"! :D

I just finished using the Rapha rain jacket for a couple rainy (PacNW) winters. I say "finished" because it started leaking through everywhere. I talked to Rapha, and they agreed I took proper care of it, but they simply said "nothing lasts forever." (Not a direct quote.) For $290 I expect a lot more than 2 seasons of use.

My plan is to next try one of the GoreTex products people listed (Gore, Castelli, 7mesh) or the Showers Pass Spring Classic (https://www.showerspass.com/collections/mens-jackets/products/mens-spring-classic-jacket?variant=27454406469). I've tried on the latter and I like it, but it's not super small. Would fit in a pocket though. They had Katusha use it a couple years ago, but I don't think they got the advertising bang-for-the-buck they wanted.

The Cadence Kenton 3L (https://www.cadencecollection.com/collections/jackets-vests/products/kenton-3l-rain-jacket-black) is supposed to be great, but I don't know how small it packs....

Also, my ideal jacket is not black (since it's generally not too bright out when it's raining), but also not high-vis. Why can't so many of these companies make a bright red or blue?? Rapha get some points for some of it's products coming in multiple colors, some of which aren't black or high-vis!

Thanks! The Cadence Pinehurst Jacket also looks great, but it also is only available in drab dark colors. :crap: I did read that the Gore Shakedry can only be manufactured in black because of technical issues. In years ahead, I'm sure they will solve that issue, but for now....

justaute
08-06-2017, 09:34 AM
I'm curious about the Sportful Norain Ultralight vis-a-vis Gore One.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

dton
08-07-2017, 12:59 PM

Gore produces the fabric and licenses third party manufacturers to use them (as all other gore fabrics, gore-tex, windbreaker, etc). Last year it was a Gore exclusive on the Gore One, this year we're getting a few more manufacturers that are able to source the same material.

From what I've seen so far, the gore-tex "shakedry" material only comes in black. I'm assuming its a manufacturing limitation at this time as all the outdoor gear I've seen with it (non-cycling) are also only available in black.

FWIW, I agree that black isn't ideal. But as far as the best performing waterproof material, I don't think there's any competition.