PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for a "home" work stand?

PNW
08-04-2017, 12:24 AM
Does anyone have recommendations for an affordable/quality work stand? I desperately need/want one!

joosttx
08-04-2017, 12:36 AM
I highly recommend building something yourself like this:

https://youtu.be/XyOw2o-53Nk

Louis
08-04-2017, 03:36 AM
I highly recommend building something yourself like this:

https://youtu.be/XyOw2o-53Nk

Neat.

I didn't watch the whole video to the very end, but it looks to me like he's going to have an aft-CG problem.

Clancy
08-04-2017, 08:07 AM
Very much like my Feedback Sports work stand. I've had it for 8-10 years, use it weekly. To make one that would perform as well and be as sturdy, convenient, and durable would cost me more in time and money, if it could be done.

bigreen505
08-04-2017, 08:16 AM
+1 on Feedback Sports. I'm not sure how long I've had it, but it has been solid, easy to use and folds up pretty small.

R3awak3n
08-04-2017, 08:17 AM
buy a nice stand or buy a cheap one today and rebuy a nice one later.

I bought a $60 one off amazon, 3 years later, broken. Just get a feedback and be set

cmg
08-04-2017, 08:35 AM
here's some photos that are self explanatory. The fun is in building and tweaking. the wooden one would work better if the top tube arms were longer buy hey use what you have.

William
08-04-2017, 08:38 AM
DIY Fork mount...

William

chiasticon
08-04-2017, 08:48 AM
OP didn't really say he wanted it to be DIY or the cheapest possible solution. just affordable and good. and knowing he's got a sweet Moots with Super Record, my guess is he could swing $150ish for a legit stand...

Feedback and Park both make awesome stands and you can't really go wrong there. I like how strong and stable (steel) the Park ones are for leaving set up in my home shop. but I love how light and portable (aluminum) and quick to set up the Feedback ones are. they're still stable, just a little less so. so figure out which of those you want to prioritize and choose the one that fits your budget.

Gsinill
08-04-2017, 08:52 AM
+1 on Feedback
I have their Pro-Elite (https://www.feedbacksports.com/shop/pro-elite-work-stand/) and Sprint (https://www.feedbacksports.com/shop/sprint-work-stand/) and they are both awesome.

Had a Park PC-10 before, but too heavy for my taste and I hated the clumsy design of the leg locking mechanism.

pdonk
08-04-2017, 08:54 AM
I have a feedback from when they were "ultimate"

It's equivalent today is the recreation model. I've had it for 12 years and no complaints. For home use it's good.

joosttx
08-04-2017, 08:55 AM
OP didn't really say he wanted it to be DIY or the cheapest possible solution. just affordable and good. and knowing he's got a sweet Moots with Super Record, my guess is he could swing $150ish for a legit stand...

Feedback and Park both make awesome stands and you can't really go wrong there. I like how strong and stable (steel) the Park ones are for leaving set up in my home shop. but I love how light and portable (aluminum) and quick to set up the Feedback ones are. they're still stable, just a little less so. so figure out which of those you want to prioritize and choose the one that fits your budget.

I am not a fan of either the feedback or park stands at the entry or mid tier levels. I owned both. The clamping mech on the feedback is a PITA and the fold away park stand is not that stable. The feedback stand I would like a more solid - stable feel too. Thats why I am avocating a DIY stand because I think its better.

Lewis Moon
08-04-2017, 09:03 AM
DIY Fork mount...

William

I have one that looks like this too. I use it as my build up/tear down stand.

eippo1
08-04-2017, 09:13 AM
I am not a fan of either the feedback or park stands at the entry or mid tier levels. I owned both. The clamping mech on the feedback is a PITA and the fold away park stand is not that stable. The feedback stand I would like a more solid - stable feel too. Thats why I am avocating a DIY stand because I think its better.

Agreed that if you go Feedback, get the Pro-Elite or the Sprint. I had the Sport Mechanic and the clamping mechanism is a huge PITA. Went to the Pro-Elite and wicked happy now. Super easy to maneuver around and very stable.

joosttx
08-04-2017, 09:19 AM
Agreed that if you go Feedback, get the Pro-Elite or the Sprint. I had the Sport Mechanic and the clamping mechanism is a huge PITA. Went to the Pro-Elite and wicked happy now. Super easy to maneuver around and very stable.

I think I have the Sport Mechanic. Thanks for the tip

PNW
08-04-2017, 09:21 AM

Nailed it on the head. I just don't want one that takes up too much space, so a portable one would be perfect!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

josephr
08-04-2017, 09:29 AM
I have an older Park PCS that I found by posting a WTB on Craigslist...paid $50 as the guy had it in his garage but wanted to make some space. Its a good stand except the spread supports want to fold up sometimes if I'm wrenching in the up direction but other than that, its very stable and the adjustable clamp fits everything. Its not very portable, but I don't need to move it around very often either.

Just don't forget to always clamp by the seat-post!

William
08-04-2017, 09:30 AM
OP didn't really say he wanted it to be DIY or the cheapest possible solution.

He didn't say he didn't want a DIY option either. Nothing wrong with options, just choose what fits you.

:)

William

lhuerta
08-04-2017, 09:34 AM
...another vote for Feedback Sports.

Ken Robb
08-04-2017, 09:36 AM

It's equivalent today is the recreation model. I've had it for 12 years and no complaints. For home use it's good.

Yeah, I've had one of these too and still think it's great. It is easy to fold/unfold and it is very compact when folded up.

dave thompson
08-04-2017, 09:40 AM
I have 2 Feedback stands, one in Mexico, one at home in the states and both get a real workout, they are used everyday. They're versatile, tough, easy to set up and us. Easy to collapse and store in a pretty small space. Nicely made.

Ken Robb
08-04-2017, 09:51 AM
I have 2 Feedback stands, one in Mexico, one at home in the states and both get a real workout, they are used everyday. They're versatile, tough, easy to set up and us. Easy to collapse and store in a pretty small space. Nicely made.

What do you do every day that requires a stand?

William
08-04-2017, 09:57 AM

Note that he didn't specify the "stands" were for his bikes....

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjAw/z/g6gAAOSwMVdYIXQ6/$_1.JPG

:D
William

FlashUNC
08-04-2017, 10:23 AM
Feedback Elite Pro stand.

Got it, love it. Clamps great, super adjustable. Isn't all that huge when packed down either.

chiasticon
08-04-2017, 10:48 AM
He didn't say he didn't want a DIY option either. Nothing wrong with options, just choose what fits you.fair enough. I love seeing all the DIY ones, and I get why people even prefer them. just seemed like the first few replies assumed he wanted super cheap or DIY, so wanted to explain why I was proposing the opposite. :D

Nailed it on the head. I just don't want one that takes up too much space, so a portable one would be perfect!I'd go Feedback Sports then. the Ultralight is 10 lbs and currently Paceline sponsor Bike Tires Direct has the cheapest price I see. I've not used this one though, so can't comment on it directly.

personally, I love the Sprint stand. it's light and folds up pretty small, and it's super stable. excellent for some of the heavier torque stuff I don't like to do in a normal clamp stand (like BB's or swapping pedals). and awesome that you can rotate the bike and just stand near your tools (also incredible for bike washing). obvious downside is that you have to pull the front wheel. that's why for day to day small stuff I like the seatpost clamp stands.

dave thompson
08-04-2017, 11:04 AM

I'm the "team" mechanic for my wife's cycling club. I love women in spandex. :cool:

zmudshark
08-04-2017, 11:08 AM
Feedback has a 20% off sale using code 'coloradoday'. Good until 8/8/17.

Pro Elite or Sprint is the way to go.

dave thompson
08-04-2017, 11:11 AM
Note that he didn't specify the "stands" were for his bikes....

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjAw/z/g6gAAOSwMVdYIXQ6/$_1.JPG

:D
William

Well, there's that too. Keeps things steady.

cpamplin
08-04-2017, 12:40 PM
I've had the basic Feedback Sport Mechanic for three years now and I love it.
The Ultralight is only a few bucks more but I hardly ever move it from its place in my workshop, and TBH I think the heavier stand feels more stable.

Gummee
08-04-2017, 01:37 PM
I've had a few stands over the years. If you're not clamping on aero seatposts, the Feedback stands are hard to beat.

If you ARE clamping on aero seatposts, then the Park clamp works better.

AFA affordable: I managed to score the Park shop stand that one of us had listed in the classifieds for a good price.

I've been wrenching on bikes both at home and in a shop and having a good stand is essential.

M

benb
08-04-2017, 02:23 PM
I've had a Park (and older version of what looks to be the PCS-4 today) for 16 years. In the grand scheme of things it was dirt cheap and one of the best values of anything I've ever bought cycling related. If you're really into cycling this is not something to cheap out on, the better your stand the more work you'll do, the more work you'll do the more money you save over going to the shop.

It's never really given me any trouble... They're definitely built to last. The clamp on mine isn't really any good if you have an aero seat tube. I had one bike like that but won't ever get another one if I can help it so it's no problem now.

The only one of those homemade stands that looks any good to me is the one that has a fork mount and then supports the bike under the BB. The rest of them do not look secure enough for a lot of work.

I never do cranks or pedals in the stand anyway, but a bunch of the other stuff still involved enough torque that you need a good clamp & heavy stand.

I built myself a really nice workbench last year.. my setup is very nice. I really need to get the wheel building/repair tools now!

William
08-04-2017, 02:51 PM
Well, there's that too. Keeps things steady.

I KNEW IT!!!

William

commonguy001
08-04-2017, 02:54 PM

Me too
My Ultimate Pro Elite is at least 10 years old and I still use it all the time. Really good unit IMO

seric
08-05-2017, 06:21 PM
For the fellow photographers who ride, I use a C-stand. Works great.