PDA

View Full Version : Less Rattle more Cowbell

joosttx
08-03-2017, 11:49 PM
I saw this guy on the trail today. It is Northern Pacific rattlesnake and about 3 ft long. I think it was digesting something as its midsection is a little bigger than the rest.

Regardless, I watched it for about a minute and it did move except for flicks of its tongue. Then I tossed some gravel - pebble sized rocks at it and it assumed its defense position and began to rattle before it slithered away into the grass. I figure the guy was digesting a meal in the warmth of the sun enjoying the view. Feel bad I had to make him move.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4367/36225035581_a8b667b1ec_b.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4390/36225036021_c27751f41c_b.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4394/36225036441_5e2cf64e34_b.jpg

josephr
08-04-2017, 06:37 AM
never knew there was a northern pacific rattlesnake species....the striped tail looks pretty interesting. you're right tho, that mid-section looks like he's still digesting on a bunny rabbit or something....either that or he needs to work on his core.

OtayBW
08-04-2017, 08:08 AM
WOW! I really love that Pic #2! (Pics 1 and 3, not so much....)

joosttx
08-04-2017, 08:16 AM
never knew there was a northern pacific rattlesnake species....the striped tail looks pretty interesting. you're right tho, that mid-section looks like he's still digesting on a bunny rabbit or something....either that or he needs to work on his core.

Yeah, if you from the South, you probably have never seen this guy. I had to look it up on the internet to ID it. And I thought I knew my rattlesnakes.

enr1co
08-04-2017, 08:18 AM
Neat sighting! How far away are the pics shot from? If not in the lathargic digesting mode, how fast could these typically move?
I figure Im bound to encounter one eventually while riding Mt Diablo and surely want to be at safe distance.

Hilltopperny
08-04-2017, 08:18 AM
Very cool! I've never seen this species of rattler before, but it definitely looks to be digesting something.

charliedid
08-04-2017, 08:24 AM
Beautiful snake...no need to throw rocks.

redir
08-04-2017, 08:28 AM
Awww isn't he cute?

joosttx
08-04-2017, 08:40 AM
Beautiful snake...no need to throw rocks.

Well I would of preferred it to slither away once it saw me but it did not. I was not going to ride by because then I would of been about a foot from its head. There were no sticks to prod it along so I decided the most humane thing was to throw (throw maybe a strong word: underhand toss) some gravel (read: dirt and peddle sized rocks not pelt it with rocks) to get it just annoyed enough so it would slither away. I dont think I hurt it at all.

On that note: I once saw my grandmother (she was probably in her 70's) grab a 5ft diamondback by its tail and bull whip it to death. We skinned it, fried it up and ate it with Dr Prepper. We never were allowed to drink Dr Pepper or sodas for that metter.

Heisenberg
08-04-2017, 03:35 PM
Well I would of preferred it to slither away once it saw me but it did not. I was not going to ride by because then I would of been about a foot from its head. There were no sticks to prod it along so I decided the most humane thing was to throw (throw maybe a strong word: underhand toss) some gravel (read: dirt and peddle sized rocks not pelt it with rocks) to get it just annoyed enough so it would slither away. I dont think I hurt it at all.

On that note: I once saw my grandmother (she was probably in her 70's) grab a 5ft diamondback by its tail and bull whip it to death. We skinned it, fried it up and ate it with Dr Prepper. We never were allowed to drink Dr Pepper or sodas for that metter.

Did we have the same grandmother?

joosttx
08-04-2017, 03:42 PM
Did we have the same grandmother?

If we are related, why did you get the good hair and super star VOMax genes?

charliedid
08-04-2017, 08:47 PM

I of course did not mean to insinuate that you were doing anything more than prodding. I'm just being sensitive...

Don't mess with grandma! Great anecdote :-)

vqdriver
08-04-2017, 08:54 PM
am i the only who's totally skeeved out by snakes?
i've run across rattlers before, seen and heard, on the trails and i'm more than happy to let them have their space. hearing them in the brush, completely unseen but audibly close is very disconcerting.

joosttx
08-04-2017, 09:16 PM
am i the only who's totally skeeved out by snakes?
i've run across rattlers before, seen and heard, on the trails and i'm more than happy to let them have their space. hearing them in the brush, completely unseen but audibly close is very disconcerting.

This spring my son and I were riding back on a dirt road from fishing. We took a break by sitting on a fallen redwood log and eating some peanut cookies. I started pulling up some bark and all odf sudden two garter snakes jumped out from inside the bark (think - fake snake in a can gag) I jumped about 20 feet and probably made a very silly sound. My 6 year son just laughed and laughed. I think it was the first time he ever saw me scared it that way.