PDA

View Full Version : OT, traveling to Glasgow Scotland: suggestions?

acoffin
08-03-2017, 07:18 PM
My wife anf I will be in Glasgow for 10 days the first part of September. Anything we should not miss while we are there? Any off the beaten path suggestions? What I would really love to do is head out on a train or bus to a nice hiking destination for a day (5 to 10 mile hike would be perfect). But really open to any suggestions from people who have traveled or lived in the region.

We plan on walking a lot in the city and drinking plenty of Scotch, tea, and coffee. We are frugal foodies so would love eating suggestions. Museums and botanic gardens are on the list. We want to do some tourist stuff, but mostly just spend time getting to know the city and enjoying ourselves. We have a Rabbies tour booked for one day to Loch Lomond and a distillery, but would like to see the countryside on our own as well.

rcnute
08-03-2017, 09:24 PM
Kelvingrove, the Lighthouse and last but not least the Pot Still!

http://thepotstill.co.uk/

We were only there from the afternoon until mid-morning, so a lot we didn't get to see.

I really liked Glasgow, better than Edinburgh (which was great, just not as great).

Ryan

oldpotatoe
08-04-2017, 07:47 AM
My wife anf I will be in Glasgow for 10 days the first part of September. Anything we should not miss while we are there? Any off the beaten path suggestions? What I would really love to do is head out on a train or bus to a nice hiking destination for a day (5 to 10 mile hike would be perfect). But really open to any suggestions from people who have traveled or lived in the region.

We plan on walking a lot in the city and drinking plenty of Scotch, tea, and coffee. We are frugal foodies so would love eating suggestions. Museums and botanic gardens are on the list. We want to do some tourist stuff, but mostly just spend time getting to know the city and enjoying ourselves. We have a Rabbies tour booked for one day to Loch Lomond and a distillery, but would like to see the countryside on our own as well.

The Burrell Collection
Mackintosh School of Art
https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2010/jan/11/walk-guide-glasgow-city-centre

LOVE Glasgow..great city to walk around in. Much more down to earth than Edinburgh.

texbike
08-04-2017, 01:28 PM
Isle of Arran and Loch Lomond/Trossochs are both VERY easy trips from Glasgow with incredible options for hiking. I especially liked Arran. The Museum of Transport in Glasgow is really cool if you like cars/bikes/motorcycles/trains/boats/etc. We went last Summer and had a great time. September seems like the perfect month to go to the area.

Texbike

LouDeeter
08-04-2017, 01:50 PM
The town of Stirling is a short drive from Glasgow and a place we enjoyed. I think inside Glasgow, it really depends on where you are staying. We stayed near the university, so there were lots of inexpensive restaurants, pubs, and bars. We like to try the local fare, but usually end up having a pizza at some point and we found plenty of places around the university for that. Hard to beat drinking scotch in Scotland.

ultraman6970
08-04-2017, 07:52 PM
Say hi to Connor McLeod and to Juan Sânchez Villalobos Ramírez.

Hilltopperny
08-04-2017, 08:10 PM
National art gallery in Glasgow is a place I'd like to visit. My grandmothers uncle William Mccance artwork is on display there and in Edinburgh as well.