PDA

View Full Version : What age is the right age to introduce your child to a chariot?

ANAO
08-03-2017, 06:51 PM
I'm wanting to take my baby girl out for about an hour and a half on Sunday and the wife is nervous but can't really articulate why.

She's 14 months And has never been in the trailer.

Is that too young?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OtayBW
08-03-2017, 07:17 PM
I don't have kids, so all I can give you is my impression:

14 mos seems awful derned young for that. The kid may enjoy it, but doubtful for an hour and a half. I would give the kid a thrill with a short ride around the block and then drop her off with wifey. Everybody happy. Anything much longer sounds like it would be to make you happy more than the kiddo. Sorry if that's not what you want to hear, but good luck whatever you do.

TheEnglish
08-03-2017, 07:37 PM
Seems fine to me. The only way to find out is to try. If you stay close to home so you can bail out if the kiddo gets too cranky that may alleviate your wife's concerns.

edit: I have two 3 year olds who have spend time in the chariot with runs and walks, though never a long bike ride and I have a one month old daughter who has gone for walks and runs in the chariot with the infant sling both with her brothers and without.

ColonelJLloyd
08-03-2017, 07:41 PM
At 14 months I would think she'd be asleep within a half hour. Probably sooner. I took my daughter out at that age in the trailer, but not for more than a half hour.

bigreen505
08-03-2017, 07:54 PM
ASAP. Ideally you want her to enjoy it, but taking naps is a close second. Keep tire pressure low and the suspension soft.

mcfarton
08-03-2017, 08:24 PM
I had to work up to that kind of time in the trailer. Shorter rides get them used to it. My pro tips for you are to bring toys and snacks for them and to have playgrounds be the destination. That makes them want to get in and that makes it harder for mom to say no.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

weaponsgrade
08-03-2017, 08:53 PM
I think 14 months is plenty old. 1.5 hours seems like a long time, but I suppose if the kid's not crying then all good. I'd recommend a rear fender. Lots of debris gets kicked up by the rear tire.

ColonelJLloyd
08-03-2017, 09:06 PM
I had to work up to that kind of time in the trailer. Shorter rides get them used to it. My pro tips for you are to bring toys and snacks for them and to have playgrounds be the destination. That makes them want to get in and that makes it harder for mom to say no.

+1

Lots of debris gets kicked up by the rear tire.

Truth. My trailer has a fine mesh net you can button on the front. We always use it.

mcfarton
08-03-2017, 09:11 PM
I have the same mesh but the full rear fender makes a bigger difference. Don't forget the sun screen!

Hank Scorpio
08-03-2017, 09:37 PM
My daughter is usually good for about 35-45 mins in the chariot although she did great last weekend when we went down to asbury. She is only 6 weeks so I haven't tried pulling yet but I have all the stuff, just need a suitable donkey bike.

Ken C
08-04-2017, 12:24 PM
I would say one-year old is about the right time to begin pulling kids in a trailer behind a bike.

How long is anyone's guess. I recommend as others have above packing snacks, books, toys, etc. My two year old loves the trailer and could probably go 1.5 hours no problem, but when my 4 year old was younger he always wanted to get out and explore. If they fall asleep, you could luck out. That has happened to me.

Just be prepared to stop at a playground to let off steam if needed, to change diapers. You have to just be flexible and go with the flow, you can't plan on going for a 1.5 hour training ride. No matter what though it is still a good work out and a great way to spend time with your kids. Both of mine really enjoyed the trailer at that age, it was just a difference in attention span between them.

FlashUNC
08-04-2017, 12:30 PM
Depends, how well do you think she'd do in the turns?

http://film-book.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/charlton-heston-ben-hur-01-1920x1080.jpg

veggieburger
08-04-2017, 12:53 PM
We started around a year, but the little one didn't love it. Now at just over 2, it's great! Toss in a book or two, a juice box...she's like royalty in there and absolutely loves it.

icepick_trotsky
08-04-2017, 01:24 PM
I started mine in a Co-Pilot seat around 9 months, but he hated it until about one year. He switched to a Burley at about age 3, but I always like the rear seat better.

Especially for the velodrome:

http://i.imgur.com/nNOQ3Cch.jpg

benb
08-04-2017, 01:36 PM
We started our son around that age.

As long as they're comfortable there's nothing wrong with letting them sleep back there.

It's the same thing as driving around in the car to get your child to go to sleep, except you get to go for a bike ride.

verticaldoug
08-04-2017, 03:07 PM
My experience of trial and error with my own two daughters is always to remind yourself it is about them and not you. Not too long, not too fast. They should have fun.

I think with daughter #1, the first time we ended up going too fast down a hill and she became scared. Then she wanted out.

Later when she was about 3, when my wife would go out with her girlfirends, she get in the ridealong and we'd ride around Shibuya in Tokyo during the evening. Get ice cream to eat and just have fun. I think it was some of the best times I ever had on a bike. Of course, she had a lady bug helmet.

mcfarton
08-07-2017, 08:12 PM
So how did it go? We got in our longest trailer ride ever on sunday. It was 2.5 hours with a few breaks in it. We even stopped for paddle boats lol.

ANAO
08-07-2017, 08:40 PM
So how did it go? We got in our longest trailer ride ever on sunday. It was 2.5 hours with a few breaks in it. We even stopped for paddle boats lol.

I went out too far with the guys and came back shot. I napped with her in the afternoon.

Win-win.