PDA

View Full Version : Spd like pedals question, road shoe rocking...

ultraman6970
08-03-2017, 03:11 PM
I put my kids in SPDs like pedals (nashbar brand) and in a set of shimano like MTB commuting shoes that I found for almost nothing. Since the spd cleat is deep in the sole of the shoe the rubber around the area where the cleat sits it serves to stabilize the shoe over the cleat.

Today was playing with a set of road shoes that come with the 2 holes for spds and noticed that when you clip the shoe rocks, is not stable, since a road shoe doesnt have anytihng to stabilize the shoe over the pedal I was wondering if there is like an adapter or a hack to help to this problem???

Any spd user with a insight about this?? Cant find anything in the internet...

Thanks...

instantturtle
08-03-2017, 03:18 PM
One time I was having trouble clipping out because the pedal was really loose and it turned out it was just because the two cleat bolts were loose. I retightened them and they were fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ultraman6970
08-03-2017, 03:32 PM
In my case are tight as hell... :(

batman1425
08-03-2017, 03:34 PM
What you are looking for are called cleat pontoons. They allow road shoes to work with traditional SPD style cleats. You can get the complete socket/cup style or the ones that just looks like rubber outriggers. They sandwitch between the cleat and your sole then are bolted in place. The wings on the sides provide the stabilization on the pedal.

ultraman6970
08-03-2017, 05:26 PM
Thanks a lot for your answer....

I was looking at the pedals and after a little readjustment I got the right one fine and the left one still with the rocking... the pedals have a piece of metal at the front that is the 1st place where the cleat seats, started measuring and looks like the piece is like off specs, just 1 or 2 mm off but once the shoe is in, the rocking is way too much.

Tried to basically bend it in shape and I couldn't, stupidly hard steel, im impressed. Gave it a few hammer hits and nothing, did not even scratched... :/

Have like 2 solutions for this, one is to make like a shim outta coke can, second solution is to buy a rubber foot for furniture at Home depot and since the shoes have look holes just cut and bolt the foots to 2 of the holes, one at each side and that maybe will take care of the problem.

3rd solution? just go with road pedals.

Ronsonic
08-04-2017, 08:10 PM
What you are looking for are called cleat pontoons. They allow road shoes to work with traditional SPD style cleats. You can get the complete socket/cup style or the ones that just looks like rubber outriggers. They sandwitch between the cleat and your sole then are bolted in place. The wings on the sides provide the stabilization on the pedal.

We could really use a thanks/like button here for posts like this.