PDA

View Full Version : Old Campy Hub Part Question

warren128
08-03-2017, 12:24 PM
I was cleaning out my parts cabinet, and unearthed a tubular wheelset built with Campagnolo hubs (not sure which group, looks like Record, low flange), 36 spokes, and Victory Strada tubular rims. I was wiping them down getting them ready to offer up somewhere, and then I noticed that a part is missing from the front hub leaving the bearings exposed. Is it a dustcap? The one on the other side is loose, not sure how they are attached. See attached picture of the missing side. Is this part available and/or expensive? Would someone want this set as-is? It is from the freewheel era, and looks old, but the bearings are still smooth, and the rims spin relatively true. There is a pair of very old tires, Conti LA 19mm, on them, that will need to be replaced too.

I bought them used a long time ago, intending to ride on tubulars for nostalgia reasons, but I never did get around to riding on them. Subsequently, I upgraded all my bikes to modern spacing and freehubs.

Any opinions on possible value and/or desirability of this set?

If this is not the proper place for this post, please move or delete.

Thanks.

acarvalho
08-03-2017, 01:48 PM
Yes, dust cap, for sure. Record C, circa 1995 in my opinion.

Enviado de meu Moto G (4) usando Tapatalk

jemdet
08-03-2017, 02:17 PM
Does the other side have a flat dust cap or a domed dust cap? You either have a C-Record or Croce D'Aune hub. There are subtle differences in the curvature of the flanges but I can't remember which is which at the moment. They are the only two with a grease port.

The C-Record hub will have a small channel / circlip on the inner circumference of the shell. This is made to hold the domed dust cap. A domed dust cap will be plenty snug inside of a C-Record hub (Campy even made a special extracting tool just to remove them without marring). The same domed dust cap will be hopelessly loose in a Croce hub.

Croce hubs have a smooth inner shell without a channel or circlip and are made to accept a flat dust cap that sits flush with the end of the shell. This cap is more easily removed than the C-Record cap.

Dust caps of either persuasion are hard to find but not impossible. Just be prepared to pay way too much money for it on ebay. They are a niche item so the ones on ebay generally stay put for a while.

There is a huge Campy dealer catalog from the early 90's (91? 93? 94?) floating around in PDF form. It's been an invaluable tool for me when it comes to part ID.

jemdet
08-03-2017, 02:18 PM
P.S. Campy hubs from that era are not anodized and can be restored to a mirror finish without stripping. Just light, high-grit wet sanding and mother's mag.

oliver1850
08-03-2017, 02:22 PM
You either have a C-Record or Croce D'Aune hub. There are subtle differences in the curvature of the flanges but I can't remember which is which at the moment. They are the only two with a grease port.

This was true in 1991, but Chorus front hubs had the grease port at least by 1993. Not sure about 1992.

lhuerta
08-03-2017, 02:39 PM
....that is a C-Record hub missing the aero dustup.

The CdA hubs did not have the counter-sunk spoke holes, at least not the early generation. I don't remember if the counter sunk holes trickled down in latter years.

http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=72d36965-6592-4a99-a9bd-afcef5b4661d&Enum=110

jemdet
08-03-2017, 02:43 PM
You are undoubtedly correct, but what is a 1993 Chorus hub if not a 1991 Croce D'Aune hub? :)

In any case, the countersunk spoke holes on the hub above seem to indicate that it's a Record hub... But Record, while continuing to use countersunk spoke holes, became a Croce-shaped hub with flat-ish black dust caps by 1997.

jemdet
08-03-2017, 02:45 PM
....that is a C-Record hub missing the aero dustup.

The CdA hubs did not have the counter-sunk spoke holes, at least not the early generation. I don't remember if the counter sunk holes trickled down in latter years.

http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=72d36965-6592-4a99-a9bd-afcef5b4661d&Enum=110

Yes, you beat me to it. It doesn't look like the countersunk spoke holes made it down to lower groups, but flat-ish dust caps certainly made it up to Record.

donevwil
08-03-2017, 04:04 PM
That looks like mid '90's Record Titanium (http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=8EAC3C7C-528A-44E8-81E6-40FA4E6471F3&Enum=110&AbsPos=87)with the plastic dust cap. Wonder if one of the aluminum axle caps would fit as they are readily availalble.

http://velobase.com/CompImages/Hubs/F2C6C094-790E-49CA-B309-2FE12DE36465.jpeg

Hindmost
08-03-2017, 05:49 PM
I think there's something odd about pairing that skewer and hub with the Record Titanium box. I don't recall the plastic skewer nut and the plastic hub covers. Could be wrong...

warren128
08-03-2017, 10:23 PM
Thanks for all the responses and information.

Here's a shot of the other side.

Notice that this dust cap is already loose. How are they supposed to be attached to the hub?

lhuerta
08-03-2017, 11:07 PM
...the gap between dust cap and hub shell is normal/as designed.. Also the cap simply pops on to the hub shell and it moves freely as well. In order to remove the cap you need this sexy tool and according to the original Campagnolo service manual your hub will explode if you use any other tool ... actually, just use a very wide flat head screwdriver and pry gently.

acarvalho
08-03-2017, 11:49 PM

Notice that this dust cap is already loose. How are they supposed to be attached to the hub?Mine would just plug in.

Enviado de meu Moto G (4) usando Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
08-04-2017, 06:51 AM

Notice that this dust cap is already loose. How are they supposed to be attached to the hub?

There's a wee spring that should go around the circumference of the 'hub cap' that holds in in. They often come loose, fall off and the loose hub caps are a result.

I think I have a spare hub cap, I'll look.

bikinchris
08-04-2017, 09:30 AM
...the gap between dust cap and hub shell is normal/as designed.. Also the cap simply pops on to the hub shell and it moves freely as well. In order to remove the cap you need this sexy tool and according to the original Campagnolo service manual your hub will explode if you use any other tool ... actually, just use a very wide flat head screwdriver and pry gently.

I have one of those. Campy makes sexy tools.

Hindmost
08-04-2017, 10:03 AM
Yours looks like a '95-96 Record hub. I had one with a dust cap whose rubber seal gripped the axle and spun in the hub body. The aluminum wore badly. After that couldn't get the dust cap to seat properly.

warren128
08-05-2017, 01:47 PM
There's a wee spring that should go around the circumference of the 'hub cap' that holds in in. They often come loose, fall off and the loose hub caps are a result.

I think I have a spare hub cap, I'll look.

Oldpotatoe, thanks for the info, but I'll probably pass this wheelset on as-is because I can't use them on any of my current bikes, and the new owner can find their own cap.

--Warren

oldpotatoe
08-05-2017, 02:23 PM
Oldpotatoe, thanks for the info, but I'll probably pass this wheelset on as-is because I can't use them on any of my current bikes, and the new owner can find their own cap.

--Warren

10-4, all my caps are rears anyway.