PDA

View Full Version : "proper" gravel bike

panache_mode
08-03-2017, 12:09 PM
With the release of so many gravel/road bikes I think I'm ready to drink the grovel kool-aid, complete with through axles and hydraulic disc brakes and maybe even a third bottle cage. I've never found the need to own a road bike or cyclocross bike with any of the previous features, to me it always seemed excessive. Well I'm ready to take the plunge...

I want to hear some opinions on 1x vs 2x for gravel and maybe even sram vs shimano.

I know these are very broad topics but I am currently torn between cx1 and Ultegra Di2 for the build.

I've heard that it is all a matter of preference when it comes to components but I really just want to build a reliable, take no prisoners style bike. It will be built and geared for long days of climbing fire roads and some very mild single track.

:beer::beer:

jruhlen1980
08-03-2017, 01:03 PM
Well for starters there is no right answer, but plenty of people who will passionately insist that what works for them is the only answer and that anyone who disagrees is morally bankrupt... but

I want to hear some opinions on 1x vs 2x for gravel and maybe even sram vs shimano.

I'm sure 1x is nice but frankly it's rarely my front shifting that I have problems with. If I lived someplace where mud was more of a concern I could see going 1x.

I know these are very broad topics but I am currently torn between cx1 and Ultegra Di2 for the build.

Campy :) Switched to Potenza several months ago and haven't regretted it.

But my friends who have CX1 or Di2 each love their systems.

It will be built and geared for long days of climbing fire roads and some very mild single track.

I run a 50/34 with an 11-32 11 speed but I'm a flatlander. If you have mountains as a regular feature of your rides maybe consider a 48 or a 46 big ring.

Good luck and post pics when you're done :)

:beer::beer:[/QUOTE]

austex
08-03-2017, 03:55 PM
...grovel (sic) bike...

Crap! Yet another new category of bike everyone will have to have. :bike:

MattTuck
08-03-2017, 03:58 PM
...grovel (sic) bike...

Crap! Yet another new category of bike everyone will have to have. :bike:

When you show up to rides, the peasants (those not on grovel bikes) must grovel before you. :p

jtbadge
08-03-2017, 04:02 PM
I'm a fan of the 2x with a 50/34 x 11-32 gearing for an all-road/gravel/cross/groad/grovel/hype machine. Throw a RoadLink and an 11-36 for extra range. Having the upper and lower range on top of a typical 1x setup is super useful for long rides and varying terrain.

If you're going disc, go hydro.

CaptStash
08-03-2017, 04:41 PM
First rule of grovel bikes: thy bike shall have no group above Sora.
Second rule: wheels must be heavy like boat anchors.

That is all I got. There must be more rules. Carry on.

CaptStash....

FlashUNC
08-03-2017, 04:45 PM
I've enjoyed my 1x groad bike, but the gear gaps at the bottom get to be a bit of an issue. There's compromises in the gearing if you go that route, tbue the simplicity is pretty great.

Hydros are a must.

I have a carbon groad bike (Giant TCX), so material is a personal thing.

sparky33
08-03-2017, 04:58 PM
I've enjoyed my 1x groad bike, but the gear gaps at the bottom get to be a bit of an issue. There's compromises in the gearing if you go that route, but the simplicity is pretty great.

Hydros are a must.

Agree that hydro and 1x are great... the 1x clutch derailleur keeps things smooth and quiet, very direct pedaling if that makes sense.
Gear intervals and range takes time to figure out. My 11-32 or 11-36 gets me the low gears, and on few occasions I spin out on big downhills. IMO, the smooth running action outshines any gearing limitations. I guess the significance of gear range and such would be somewhat related to your local terrain though.

tiretrax
08-03-2017, 05:25 PM
Vroomen is now consulting with 3T and promoting his new bike. It is an aero road bike designed for 28's, and he is using a 1x system with a 44 chainring and an 11-32 cassette. He thinks that transmission is the wave of the future. You can see a video review on road.cc.

I ride my Moots PX as an all arounder. It has a 1x, but I wish it were a double when I'm on flat ground or very slight grades.

ColonelJLloyd
08-03-2017, 07:48 PM
Outside of MTBing I simply do not like the big jumps in gears that a 1x drivetrain produces. My grovel bike is 42/28 with 11-32, 27.5x2, thru axle, fendered, low-trail and lit by dynamo.

Luwabra
08-04-2017, 08:16 AM
Compact 50/34 11/32 done. Oh and cantis ewwwe :no: will never work
;)

shoota
08-04-2017, 01:41 PM
Hydros are definitely not required for a grovel bike. 1X if it's flat, 2X if it's not.

icepick_trotsky
08-04-2017, 02:24 PM
To your question, a 1x system without enough high end may be limiting on the road, when you're using it that way. I will say that my 50-34/12-29 combo leaves something to be desired, both on the top and the bottom end. I have previously used a cx1 setup with 40/11-32 and had the same results. It's just not enough top end, and I routinely spin out when I use it on the road.

I would be happier with a WI crank or something similar, 48-32 and an 11 tooth cog. That change may come.

http://i.imgur.com/gY4W9y0h.jpg