PDA

View Full Version : Best Cables and Housing?

orbea65
09-04-2006, 08:48 PM
What are the best cables and housing out there, in terms of retaining their smooth function, weatherproof, etc.
Thanks!

weiwentg
09-04-2006, 09:03 PM
ime, Campy cables are very good. ShimaNO, not as much.

obtuse
09-04-2006, 09:21 PM
What are the best cables and housing out there, in terms of retaining their smooth function, weatherproof, etc.
Thanks!

cables and housing should be replaced before it makes any bit of difference. it doesn't matter. the best cables and housing are new cables and housing.

obtuse

dave thompson
09-04-2006, 10:11 PM
cables and housing should be replaced before it makes any bit of difference. it doesn't matter. the best cables and housing are new cables and housing.

obtuse
Agree. If running Shimano, use Shimano. If running Campy, use Campy.

Kane
09-04-2006, 11:36 PM
your cables should be replaced often enough that it does matter what kind you use. Having said that I generally use 'Quality,' (a bike parts distribution company that owns Salsa), housing. If you have Campy you need to use Campy shifter cable due to it's unique cable end.

Cable and housing is a lot like chain lube. Chain lube doesn't matter as long as the chain is lubed. Having said that, I like Prolink and I hate white lighting.

Cheers,

Kane

saab2000
09-04-2006, 11:55 PM
If running Shimano, use Shimano. If running Campy, use Campy.

Word.

Keepn it clean and well lubed (if applicable). Use the stuff your gruppo came with. Shimano=Shimano. Campagnolo=Campagnolo. Don't mix and match cuz the diamaters don't always match and the cable head size does not always match the socket size of the shifter/brake lever. Use brand name stuff, lube it if applicable, use the ferrules, and cut it to the right length.

So there.

Needs Help
09-05-2006, 12:19 AM
In my experience, any cable made with a teflon inner sleeve is so much better than Campy or Nokon that once you try them, you'll never be able to go back to those cables again. Campy claims this:

Campagnolo has reaffirmed its decision to opt for a stainless-steel cable without surface treatment that runs inside housing in attrition-free material lubricated with special grease. Tefloning the cable did not in fact provide the required long-term performance. Improving the raw material and the system of lubrication of the housing has made the cable run 50% more smoothly than was the case with the previous system.

so maybe they are better now. When did the new improved Campy cables come out? Who knows? As for Nokon cables, they are one of the worst cycling products I've tried: they corrode, then they freeze up, then they creak, and all the while they scratch your paint and chainstays.

catulle
09-05-2006, 06:57 AM

obtuse

Ditto. Same with cars.

CNY rider
09-05-2006, 06:59 AM

obtuse
For a commuter ridden 3 or 4 days a week, occasional rain duty, 15 miles round trip, just curious roughly how frequently you would replace?

Thanks.

zap
09-05-2006, 07:17 AM
If you can find them, Gore Ride On cables.

BdaGhisallo
09-05-2006, 07:18 AM
After experimenting with a few different types of cable and housing for my STI levers and brakes, I settled on Jagwire teflon lined housing and cables from www.biketoolsetc.com. Jagwire make the cables and such for shimano and they do a great job. What was key for me was using 5mm gear cable housing and using cnc ferrules that are crimpable. Stay away from plastic ferrules, especially on gear cables. They can't stop the longitudinal strands in the housing from poking through, leading to mushy shifting and feel.

Now I don't know about campy, since they use a non-standard 5.5mm gear housing if I recall correctly.