PDA

View Full Version : Super tight fitting Campy housing ferrules in ultrashift ergopower set

msl109
08-02-2017, 09:57 PM
Anyone know what the deal is with these ferrules and cables? Never used modern (well these are probably ten years old) Campy brake / shift cables before, but I'm finding it near impossible to fit the (original) supplied metal ferrules onto the brake housing. Is there a trick to this? Heat, sanding?! If I use a tool to try to force them on, end up just chewing up the plastic housing. I have two sets of these, both the same issue.
Campy ferrule neophyte appreciates any and all responses.

thwart
08-02-2017, 10:02 PM
The ferrules are different sizes for brake and shift cable housings. There's no way a shift ferrule will fit onto a brake cable housing.

If you need a few of the brake ferrules (sounds like you currently just have the shift ones), I have a good supply...

msl109
08-02-2017, 10:17 PM
The ferrules are different sizes for brake and shift cable housings. There's no way a shift ferrule will fit onto a brake cable housing.

If you need a few of the brake ferrules (sounds like you currently just have the shift ones), I have a good supply...

Strange, because they seem sloppy on the shift cables but too tight on the brake cables. But they were factory packed with the set. Anyway, if you can spare some, would be grateful. I just need four - at the two braze ons and at the calipers. The ends at the levers were pre installed. Can send you my address via PM.

FlashUNC
08-02-2017, 10:41 PM
If there's slop on the shift ones and the brake ones are too tight...don't you have them on the wrong housing? Why not just swap them?

oldpotatoe
08-03-2017, 09:23 AM
Anyone know what the deal is with these ferrules and cables? Never used modern (well these are probably ten years old) Campy brake / shift cables before, but I'm finding it near impossible to fit the (original) supplied metal ferrules onto the brake housing. Is there a trick to this? Heat, sanding?! If I use a tool to try to force them on, end up just chewing up the plastic housing. I have two sets of these, both the same issue.
Campy ferrule neophyte appreciates any and all responses.

The supplied ferrules are for the DER housing(actually for 4.5mm der housing, what Campag der housing was for pre 2009 shifters..(Campag probably has a warehouse of them, why they are still included with 2009+ Ultrashift der housing, which is 4mm diameter)), not the brake. Campag doesn't include brake housing ferrules, don't know why. BUT I recommend using 4mm brass ferrules for the der housing as it installs in the frame and rear der. 5mm brass for brake housing..I'll send ya some if you'd like. NO FERRULES IN THE LEVERS!! for brake or der.

msl109
08-03-2017, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the info - must have had a brain freeze, I didn't use ferrules in the levers - didn't fit and I removed them before installing. Thanks for offering to send me some but another kind member is already on that.

msl109
08-03-2017, 10:46 AM
If there's slop on the shift ones and the brake ones are too tight...don't you have them on the wrong housing? Why not just swap them?

Nothing to swap. I only have one size - they are sloppy on the derailleur housing and too tight on the brake. It's odd, have to say, given that this came from Campy.

dddd
08-03-2017, 05:01 PM
As someone who uses a 5-second blast from a pencil-tip propane torch to free frozen spoke nipples, no surprise then that I often use a butane lighter to make ferrules move off and on to cable housings.
Especially where crimp features have perhaps been applied to ferrules during factory builds, and where I need to shorten the original housings, a 4-second stint at the tip of the lighter's flame makes the crimped (or just tight, corroded or whatever) metal ferrule slide on or off of a housing without damage to the housing. I do apply a swipe of oil as well to minimize the amount of heat needed.