PDA

View Full Version : OT: Cholesterol numbers up - Atorvastatin time?

Ciavete
08-02-2017, 08:46 PM
Yep. Maybe should have gone on a lower-your-cholesterol diet before the blood work - or at least cut out the bacon and egg sandwiches - but there it is. My doc just prescribed Atorvastatin. I'd like the chance to bring my numbers down through diet (not bad, except for the aforementioned (but only occasional!) bacon and egg sandwiches (hey they were free range eggs)) and exercise (already riding plenty) but looks like might be hereditary. The old man had heart issues, but he was 2 packs a day for 40 years before he quit, which must have been brutal on both ends. So who knows.

Any experience/counsel with this med? If I take it do I have license to eat all the bacon and (free range) egg sandwiches I want?

Cheers! (Do drinks count toward cholesterol?)

R3awak3n
08-02-2017, 08:49 PM
you don't want to go on drugs if you don't have to, imho.

change your diet and your cholesterol will lower (unless hereditary, it might lower but still be higher than normal. In that case you will have to take the meds).

I hate to say it but stop the dairy/eggs and meat, more vegetable and fish and your cholesterol will go down quick

ultraman6970
08-02-2017, 08:55 PM
I took some drugs for cholesterol and they got me down big time to the point that I was not able to ride. So i do agree with reawaken dude on his opinion.

Try to go the obvious way 1st because drugs for this stuff have the weirdest effects in some people.

Ciavete
08-02-2017, 08:58 PM
Wow. That didn't take long to get some insightful counsel. Many thanks.

buddybikes
08-02-2017, 09:02 PM
My father was a very early adopter of statins, had diabetes, high blood pressure etc. They did coronary scan of him at 80 and vessels fine. He did eventually have heart failure, but probably due to old tired heart.

They do lower inflammation besides cholesterol.

If you haven't, sure get smart on food, especially soluble fibers, but it may not be enough. Chill out, we are all getting older and that little pill, with baby aspirin may save you life.

John H.
08-02-2017, 09:14 PM
If you are going to change this with diet- You need to make these changes 7 days a week for a decently long period of time to see the difference.

Do you also have weight to lose?

Might be good idea to keep a food log for a while- use that to help you make changes.

Jere
08-02-2017, 09:19 PM
Yep. Maybe should have gone on a lower-your-cholesterol diet before the blood work - or at least cut out the bacon and egg sandwiches - but there it is. My doc just prescribed Atorvastatin. I'd like the chance to bring my numbers down through diet (not bad, except for the aforementioned (but only occasional!) bacon and egg sandwiches (hey they were free range eggs)) and exercise (already riding plenty) but looks like might be hereditary. The old man had heart issues, but he was 2 packs a day for 40 years before he quit, which must have been brutal on both ends. So who knows.

Any experience/counsel with this med? If I take it do I have license to eat all the bacon and (free range) egg sandwiches I want?

Hi

Long time Cholesterol fighter
Bad families both sides
You do not want to get any meds if possible everything has a side affect.
Drop the real eggs, red meat ,ice cream and bacon
Liquid eggs if you need too , red meat one meal a week , sorry no ice cream or bacon
If was easy to be healthy everybody would be ripped and live forever.
The only thing you can do is other than dieting is work on your Ratio
Cholesterol/ HDL good cholesterol
If you get your good HDL high it lowers you bad.
I have my good HDL up to 77 mg which makes my over 200 bad Chol some what okay.
Yes lots of miles
I do know if Gin and Tonics help , but they make a Grumpy Old Man
Charming
Jere B

Peter P.
08-02-2017, 09:20 PM
Diet is effective in only 20% of cases, if I recall.

But it doesn't hurt to try. You'll need to be retested every 6 months for 3 consecutive tests to show a trend of long term reduction in cholesterol levels via diet.

Once you start a statin, start your dosage with the minimum if you can, and follow the above to see what the long term changes are.

Read what the side effects of your statin may be, and be aware if they occur. Then discuss with your doctor.

djg21
08-02-2017, 09:26 PM

I take simvastatin. It’s not an issue, My diet isn’t to bad, though I do like cheese.

thwart
08-02-2017, 09:37 PM
Lots of gray in this area of medicine...

How bad were your numbers?

Most docs will agree to a trial of diet alone for 3-6 months if you seem motivated (and assuming you're not already on a truly low-fat diet... sure doesn't sound like it in your case :rolleyes:), assuming your numbers and family history aren't terrible, and you don't have other risk factors like diabetes, high blood pressure, or tobacco use.

If your dad smoked 2 ppd for 40 yrs, that's usually more harmful than high cholesterol (unless the numbers are really bad), and probably explains his suffering heart disease.

bigbill
08-02-2017, 10:00 PM
I've taken Atorvastatin for the past three years. Before that, I was on another, pretty much been on Statins since 2006. The Atorvastatin seemed to make a difference with my Triglycerides that the previous statins did not. My most recent panel from two weeks ago had total at 169, HDL at 88, LDL at 73 with non HDL exactly on target. My Triglycerides are at 139 versus 275 two years ago. The lower and on target results are my only side effects. I rode 8070 miles last year and I'm at 5000 so far this year.

The only problems I've heard of is when people take statins in the morning instead of evenings.

wallymann
08-02-2017, 10:02 PM
dietary cholesterol does not cause high blood cholesterol -- eggs are OK.
saturated and trans fats are bad -- skip the bacon/sausage.
skip the statins.
take plant sterol/stanol supplements (https://www.costco.com/Nature-Made-CholestOff-Plus-450-mg.%2C-200-Softgels.product.100001183.html) -- they work!
diet improvements can work!

i brought my cholesterol from ~300 to ~200 this way.

Ciavete
08-02-2017, 11:45 PM
Lots of gray in this area of medicine...

How bad were your numbers?

Most docs will agree to a trial of diet alone for 3-6 months if you seem motivated (and assuming you're not already on a truly low-fat diet... sure doesn't sound like it in your case :rolleyes:), assuming your numbers and family history aren't terrible, and you don't have other risk factors like diabetes, high blood pressure, or tobacco use.

If your dad smoked 2 ppd for 40 yrs, that's usually more harmful than high cholesterol (unless the numbers are really bad), and probably explains his suffering heart disease.

Hmmm... low fat diet. Recently back from a long riding trip in Italy (woe is me) where it was pork and more pork including - not for the faint of heart - lardo. (Do the Italians all take cholesterol meds? Any gluten problems over there?) I guess pork doesn't count as red meat? Like many Italians I consume olive oil at every opportunity. I mean, I was in Sardinia where there's a bunch of centenarians milling about.

The numbers! Total: 248 mg/dl. Triglycerides: 153. Non-HDL: 194. LDL: 163. IQ: rising with each glass of single malt, Lagavulin, Laphroaig preferably. Or grappa when with the locals.

Weight is okay John H.

Please keep confidential in case pre-existing conditions become an issue again.

BobbyJones
08-02-2017, 11:50 PM
Can't comment on your direct question, but am a firm believer based on experience that diet can have an extreme influence. Best of all, unless your condition is critical, a diet change most likely won't make things worse.

Do lots of research on your own then hit up a nutritionist who specializes in such things as a third or fourth opinion.

For example, in regards to Wallyman's egg comment above, you'll find:

Some studies report that eating eggs doesn’t increase blood cholesterol in healthy people.

Some studies report that eating eggs does increase blood cholesterol in healthy people.

Some studies report that eating eggs increases blood cholesterol in some healthy people.

So much information bias out there it's tough to tell what's best. Even the professionals disagree.

Good Luck.

dekindy
08-03-2017, 12:11 AM
Studies show that if you have had a heart attack, then taking drugs is effective at preventing future heart attacks.

Studies also show that drugs are ineffective at preventing initial heart attacks.

Source: Dr. Gabe Mirkin, MD website citing studies related to these drugs.

eBAUMANN
08-03-2017, 12:11 AM
most doctors (from what I've been told) don't know jack about diet and nutrition...which are a HUGE factor in determining your cholesterol.
so...what do they do? prescribe you a drug. typical.

shift your diet more in a veggie/vegan direction and watch your cholesterol drop...fast.

it has a largely vegan agenda but the doc on netflix called "what the health" was pretty eye-opening for me, got me looking into diet, haven't eaten meat/dairy in the last 2 months and don't really miss it.

Scuzzer
08-03-2017, 12:30 AM
Not trying to derail the thread but how much does family history play into all this? None of my grand or great grandfathers died of heart disease, they all died of trivial cancers in their mid 90s, so when my doctor says I should go on a statin because my cholesterol is around 200 why should I? If I'm in shape it's 175 and like now when I've had some physical setbacks it's 205, should I risk my liver health to perhaps receive some cardiovascular health in the future?

I don't know the answer but I think I might be better off not taking the meds.

eBAUMANN
08-03-2017, 12:38 AM
Not trying to derail the thread but how much does family history play into all this? None of my grand or great grandfathers died of heart disease, they all died of trivial cancers in their mid 90s, so when my doctor says I should go on a statin because my cholesterol is around 200 why should I? If I'm in shape it's 175 and like now when I've had some physical setbacks it's 205, should I risk my liver health to perhaps receive some cardiovascular health in the future?

I don't know the answer but I think I might be better off not taking the meds.

genetics are hereditary, yes...but so are habits.

so much of your health is tied to your diet and so much of our diets are tied to our family...eating habits we learn at home, with friends, etc.

try changing your diet first, for real...give it a month or 2 and then get some blood work done. hopefully you'll get some good news!

Scuzzer
08-03-2017, 12:53 AM
We have worked through all of that and I agree that diet can change relatively inconsequential numbers to some extent. My question is my great grandfather had no healthcare, ate bacon and eggs every morning and never gave one squat of thought towards eating healthy. He lived to 94. At what point do we rebell against the cholesterol mantra that 200 is live or die? Please note that none of my male relatives died of heart disease. One died of lead poisoning outside of Moscow in '42 but we can't include him.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to die of prostate cancer in my 90s unless they come up with a cure in the next 30 years.

Louis
08-03-2017, 01:06 AM
My question is my great grandfather had no healthcare, ate bacon and eggs every morning and never gave one squat of thought towards eating healthy. He lived to 94.

Not to sound too harsh, but I'm sure someone else on the forum can tell us about his great grandfather who smoked 2 packs of Camel unfiltered cigarettes every day of his adult life until he died in his sleep at age 101.

Anecdotes don't make for good statistics, science or medicine.

Take care of your body and listen to your doctor.

eBAUMANN
08-03-2017, 01:18 AM
The world (and our food) is just a little different these days compared to the way things were in your great/grandfathers day...dont you think?

Scuzzer
08-03-2017, 01:18 AM
Totally agree. Not trying to foist an anecdotal situation on the discusssion. I'm seriously considering the positives of statin drugs against the negatives considering the fact that "MY" family dies of prostrate cancer in their mid 90s without statin treatment. How can statin treatment help that?

Scuzzer
08-03-2017, 01:19 AM
You guys are totally missing the point. My family doesn't have this problem. Not talking about everyone else. My family doesn't have this problem so should I treat it like I'm totally average?

Scuzzer
08-03-2017, 01:25 AM
My friends dad died at 55 due to heart failure. He's paying attention to all his cholesterol and heart numbers. I'm just talking about us guys on the edge. The 195 guys that get pushed into liver damaging statins for no benefit. Why should I take a statin for 30 years for no benefit.

rccardr
08-03-2017, 02:55 AM
Because they haven't been around long enough to know if taking them for 30 years is good, bad, or indifferent to the rest of your body/health.

Bad history of heart issues on my father's side of the family. 16 years ago my cholesterol was 250+, went on fat free diet for 3 months and it came down to 225 or so. Clearly my problem is genetic and not diet based, as we have a very healthy food lifestyle. I take Atorvastatin, low dose, immediately drops my numbers down to 140-150 with good numbers on good and bad cholesterol.

I'm now 66 and ride 5-6,000 miles per year. But a good doctor will check you every 6 months for the rest of your life to ensure that triglycerides are good and your liver is OK.

paredown
08-03-2017, 06:27 AM
Two anecdotes (I know, I know)--my construction partner started having trouble with getting winded on long staircases onsite--got a checkup. Found she had partial blockages, high BP, high cholesterol. She decided to go vegan and forgo the statins for a time to see how well she could do with just diet & exercise. Started morning exercise routine as well as going vegan.

5 months in--she's dropped 15+ lbs, BP is now down to the high end of normal, cholesterol numbers much improved. Energy is way up--she can buzz around the construction site with the best of them.

And this is someone whose diet was not terrible before...

OTOH, my MIL, who refuses to see any connection between her habits and her health (for many, many years, too many rich restaurant meals with large portions and salt, too much alcohol, no exercise etc) is on a downward spiral. Good thing she has a good 'health" care plan.

I've been blessed with pretty good genetics, and have hit the ripe old age of 65 without requiring any meds (my new GP made a joke about how 'we might have to do something about that' because it puts me in the minority)--but I have also been a lifetime moderate 'vegetarian' (no meat, occasional fish, some dairy including eggs) because my parents raised us that way--and I credit that diet with my current state of health.

But who really knows? One thing that often gets overlooked in discussions about cholesterol is the role of stress--here's a bit of a rant about that:
https://www.stress.org/why-reducing-stress-is-much-more-important-than-lowering-cholesterol/

mcteague
08-03-2017, 06:29 AM
My doctor put me on low dose statin after a couple rounds of blood work. Advised I might first try the Mediterranean diet but, at 61, I just don't see that happening. I am a very picky eater and stuck in my habits.

After 90 days on the drug my numbers dropped to normal. I have zero side affects, I had read a lot about leg muscle weakness and that concerned me. My family does tend to have high cholesterol numbers in general. My primary care doc is on Atorvastation and so is my dentist. My doc also suggested I take the meds before bed so I follow that advice, seems morning use is linked to more side affects. I would rather not take any drugs at all but why take the risk of heart attack if mild intervention greatly reduces the risk?

Tim

superbowlpats
08-03-2017, 06:39 AM
I take simvastatin. It’s not an issue.

same here. Bad genetics, diet moved it down (10%) a bit but simvastatin dropped it by 40%. No side effects other than my memory is perhaps not what it used to be. But that could be because I'm getting older (57).

paredown
08-03-2017, 07:11 AM
One more thought while I was getting ready to get back to my house painting.

Years ago, there was a story in the Canadian press about a group of seniors who rode across Canada--I forget the details--charity ride perhaps?

The results were pretty amazing--all of them, by the end of the ride were able to forgo their meds for the usual cluster of 'ailments' we think of as the inevitable result of aging.

The younger version of me read this as the confirmation of the necessity of exercise and it's general beneficial effect on the body's functioning.

The older me tends to see the importance of having goals, camaraderie, limiting (or eliminating) stress and worry as we we age, along with the healthy dose of exercise that a long tour will deliver.

Ralph
08-03-2017, 07:12 AM
I've battled slightly elevated cholesterol for years. I'm thin, and have a plant based diet (mostly). I'm 76.

For me, and I emphasize....just me.....I find if I take a slightly stronger dose of a statin (say 10 mg VS 5 mg of generic Crestor) twice a week, instead of daily.....along with mostly daily CQ10, I don't notice the statin in my daily life of either riding my bike or going to the gym....every day. Taking a statin daily messed me up big time...cramps, leg weakness, etc. And now my numbers are good with a statin twice a week. I could still lower my LDL some.

Total 170
HDL...55
LDL 99
Triglycerides 100.

My numbers would be higher without a statin, even with diet and exercise. Experiment around with diet first, and then work out what you need to do. Sometimes just getting very thin, emaciated some might say, along with mostly plant based diet and exercise does wonders for cholesterol PLUS blood pressure. And I guarantee as you age, with elevated cholesterol numbers now....you will eventually be dealing with elevated BP. BTW....I'm also a fan of Dr Mirkin.....get his free E letter.

This is over simplification.....but I think high triglycerides are a sign of mostly overeating....too much sugar and fat in diet. Probably too much body weight also. Get BMI down to 20-22 range. Lots of online sites will help you calculate BMI. I concentrate on diet, exercise, and BMI.

BTW....you have been prescribed generic Lipitor. A low priced strong statin with a fairly long half life (among statins....only Crestor has a longer half life) .....it stays in your body a while. You may not need to take it every day to get good numbers. If me....I would follow Dr instructions....then if you have issues....which most exercisers do.....cut it back some. Statins reduce the natural COQ10 in your body ( I think what causes aches and weakness)....so I take a supplement COQ10 to replace. That helps some people, some no help.

VTCaraco
08-03-2017, 07:41 AM
I've read through 2/3 to 3/4 of the posts and want to share my experience.

Tested for life insurance 12 years ago and was flabbergasted that my cholesterol numbers were through the roof. Tried diet along with niacin per my homeopathic-biased doctor's advice. No luck at all. Finally told my folks about it and they all but laughed, 'of course your cholesterol is high, Mike...everyone in the family has high cholesterol'. Turned out my sister, who was having LOW-weight issues at the time, was even suffering. Her diet was, quite literally, measured to the ounce, vegan, and as perfect as could be. And at 5'0" tall and 75 lbs (serious anorexic phase for her), she was pulling numbers in the low to mid 200s. The only thing keeping her off of a statin was that her ratio was okay. Total was too high, but that was a lesser concern given the blood chemistry her lack of nutrition was creating.
So I, begrudgingly, tried the statin. Dropped 15-20 lbs within a few months and got myself in pretty good shape. I certainly didn't take it as a license to eat only bacon and ice cream, but rather pushed to exercise as much as possible in conjunction with a reasonable diet.
What I've found 12 years later is the statin keeps my TOTAL number reasonable (from mid 300s to sub-150). Exercise and diet will determine my ratio.
Do I love being on med? No, not at all; but it's a heck of a lot better than creating heart/vascular issues that were a likely outcome if I did NOT get the numbers down.

For reference, the weight stayed down for 10 years. Last 2 have been unkind with multiple back surgeries and some loss of the consistent exercise. Couple that with the natural aging and I sure do wish I could find another "magic" jumpstart...

Like others, a sample of one, but I'd encourage you to be open-minded and clear about what matters the most to you....saying that you're "managing" on diet and exercise alone OR REALLY getting your numbers down. For me, I needed to exhaust the first option before going with meds, but I have no regrets that I opted down the pharmaceutical path.

biker72
08-03-2017, 08:05 AM
Try the low cholesterol diet first. Get your blood checked after about 8 weeks and see where your cholesterol numbers are.

Mine went from incredibly bad to unacceptable. I had very poor good cholesterol numbers. I've been on statins ever since. They do work.

Statins coupled with a low cholesterol diet have kept me out of the hospital for 30 years.

No eggs, very little red meat, lots of turkey, fish, veggies and fruit.

Russell
08-03-2017, 08:25 AM
processed sugar is just as bad for your heart, maybe worse

JasonF
08-03-2017, 08:28 AM
My brother had a non-fatal heart attack at 40, while being very fit and training for another marathon. He was a typical "Jim Fixx" story with a better ending.

Had my labs done and the numbers were not good:

Total: 271
LDL ("bad"): 189
LDL-P (particle size): 1900

The last number really concerned my doc and prompted her to characterize me as a "ticking time bomb." Still, I didn't want to take a statin and tried very hard over the next 6 months to manage diet (limited red meat, no processed red meats, took a ton of plant sterols, etc...).

Nothing moved the needle.

I finally caved and started on 20mg of atorvastatin....a relatively small dose considering my numbers.

Within six months my LDL-P went down to 899 (sub 1000 is great).

LDL went down 100 points to 89.

Plus, I had a stress test (passed) and a cardiac calcium test (scored zero, or no visible plaque buildup). Also take a baby aspirin daily.

So I would say the statin made a huge difference in my lipid profile. Will it actually prevent disease? I don't know.

But also consider getting a stress test and calcium score. "Passing" the stress test and having a calcium score of zero gave me huge peace of mind.

Stress tests are sometimes covered under insurance (mine was due to family history) and the calcium test was $99 - and this was a major highly regarded midtown Manhattan hospital where a radiologist who looks at nothing but pictures of hearts all day reviewed the scans. I can't imagine a better way to spend $99.

oldpotatoe
08-03-2017, 08:59 AM
Wow. That didn't take long to get some insightful counsel. Many thanks.

Depends on your numbers. Sure try diet but my heart doc gave me the '100 men your age and diet and activity level in a room, 1/2 take statins, 1/2 don't'...then the rate of heart problems for each. I take Lipator, have zero side effects(some can be severe)...my total went from 219 to 145..YMMV and all that.

For the post right above..yes, package deal, not just 'numbers'. I also had Nuclear stress test and heart scan..this in the process of trying to find out about a couple of bouts of Afib. No chemical or structural issues with my heart BUT heart doc put me on statins..glad he did. BTW-since I sold the shop and went from a 3-4 beer a day habit to about 10% of that..no Afib...

2LeftCleats
08-03-2017, 09:20 AM
There are certain folks who really should be on statins: those with cardiovascular disease, those with LDL>190, and those with diabetes. There are various ways to address the rest. Obviously, good exercise and dietary habits are essential and a reasonable first step. Quit smoking.

I use http://www.cvriskcalculator.com/
which calculates a 10 yr. risk percent. It includes age, gender, ethnicity, BP, smoking, as well as cholesterol values. One current guideline says that if the risk is 7.5% or greater, statin is highly recommended. Others use 10%.

For those on the fence about whether to use a statin or not, C-reactive protein or calcium score can add additional input either for or against.

It is a leap for many to take a pill every day, but statins are amazingly free of serious side-effects, given how many people have taken them for so many years. If one causes side-effects like achy muscles, I try a different brand (some metabolize down one path and some another). There are a few who can't tolerate any.

oldpotatoe
08-03-2017, 09:31 AM
There are certain folks who really should be on statins: those with cardiovascular disease, those with LDL>190, and those with diabetes. There are various ways to address the rest. Obviously, good exercise and dietary habits are essential and a reasonable first step. Quit smoking.

which calculates a 10 yr. risk percent. It includes age, gender, ethnicity, BP, smoking, as well as cholesterol values. One current guideline says that if the risk is 7.5% or greater, statin is highly recommended. Others use 10%.

For those on the fence about whether to use a statin or not, C-reactive protein or calcium score can add additional input either for or against.

It is a leap for many to take a pill every day, but statins are amazingly free of serious side-effects, given how many people have taken them for so many years. If one causes side-effects like achy muscles, I try a different brand (some metabolize down one path and some another). There are a few who can't tolerate any.

My wife, high numbers, hereditary, had severe side effects with statins..now does this twice per month..at home shot..went from 300+ to 155..Praluent.

https://www.praluent.com/what-is-praluent?moc=pluco25009ps&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=2016_G_DTC_Branded&utm_content=Drug%20Information_Praluent_E&utm_term=praluent&gclid=CLGr0OCju9UCFVLkfgodGbsMEw&gclsrc=ds

thwart
08-03-2017, 09:56 AM

Useful tool but simplistic, and some would argue too influenced by pharmaceutical industry funded research studies.

George_H
08-03-2017, 10:04 AM
Early 40s, total cholesterol went from 230 to 280 with improved diet and exercise (strong family history). I asked my doctor about a statin and he said no (for now). He did some carotid ultrasound study to look for plaque and the carotids were totally clean. This was used as a proxy to assume that my coronaries are clean as well. And then he did more blood work that I don't really understand, but said that my total inflammation was very good and it looked like I ate a lot of spicy foods, and (here is the important part), he did some breakdown of my lipids by size and said that the floating cholesterol particles are of the size that they are not depositing in my vessels.

My PCP is a triathelete and really nerds out about cholesterol, heart disease, diabetes, etc. Some something else to consider.

Idris Icabod
08-03-2017, 11:23 AM
I worked on a drug discovery project about 15 years ago looking at compounds to raise HDLc. It's pretty sticky to post too much on the internet but you might find the following graph from the Framingham heart study interesting. Your HDLc is pretty high so take a look and perhaps you can make a more informed decision about starting statins to lower LDLc.

ptourkin
08-03-2017, 12:46 PM
This is all anecdotal and we're all different. In 2005, I was hospitalized with a 220/200 bp and probably had a minor stroke. I was vegetarian/vegan at the time but not eating a healthy diet. My combined was over 200.

In 2010 after eating a healthier vegan diet and increasing my exercise, my combined was 102 - 52/50. I suspect that my genetics regarding cholesterol are not great. I believe my dad was on statins. Diet has definitely brought me down.

parallelfish
08-03-2017, 04:38 PM
I had very severe reactions to statins, even when I resorted to reducing the dosage by cutting the tablets into quarters. Extreme muscle pain, loss of coordination, reduced cognitive abilities...etc. Name the side effect and I had it. I was almost a vegetable. Doctor kept switching brands without improvement.

Looking for relief, eventually I came upon the book "The Great Cholesterol Myth", and have since ditched statins and followed the suggestions presented there.

metalheart
08-03-2017, 04:56 PM
Heart attack (1) in 2005 and began taking Crestor and other post MI drugs. Heart attack (2) in 2010 --- a few weeks after a stress test showed me to be in excellent cardiac condition -- continued Crestor, but then switched to Atorvastatin (80mg.

Never had any noticeable side effects from either statin drug.My total cholesterol is between 100-130, tested every six months. My HDL i not as high as I would like and my triglycerides are usually about 70-75,

I cycle 5k-6K plus a year and do fine for my age group (73). I have friends who cannot tolerate small doses of atorvastatin or crestor, but have found success with some of the other statins. Of the five statin drugs, one may cause side effects but not others. So, my single case contribution is that it is possible to take a maximum dose of atorvastatin and not have any noticeable consequences for cycling. Can't say the same for beta blockers...........

Steve in SLO
08-03-2017, 05:57 PM
As a data point, dietary 'improvement' can decrease total cholesterol by up to 15% only. It also improves ratios.
Exercise improves ratios more total.

Caveat: I was a young medical student when I heard this so I wasn't listening closely.

Idris Icabod
08-03-2017, 06:39 PM
Also Niacin (Vitamin B3) increases HDLc levels but can cause flushing which is actually more unpleasant than it sounds. You can buy slow release Niacin, Niaspan I think it was called.

metalheart
08-04-2017, 08:43 AM
Also Niacin (Vitamin B3) increases HDLc levels but can cause flushing which is actually more unpleasant than it sounds. You can buy slow release Niacin, Niaspan I think it was called.

I took Niaspan for years and its flushing side effects were uncomfortable at best. My cardiologist recommended not taking it after a study in the New England Journal of Medicine --- sorry can't remember the link -- showed it had little benefit for preventing heart attacks and it also showed some risks for I think it was stroke. My primary care doc was adamant that I stop taking it. So, I would do some investigation about your particular circumstances and the risks and benefits of Niaspan .... Just my opinion

Mzilliox
08-04-2017, 09:01 AM
after reading all of this all i can think is geez i sure hope my farm based diet and eating meat no more than once per week helps me avoid this crap.

I have to think its not just what you eat, but from what source. meat grown by your neighbor is not nearly as bad as meat grown by the factory.

eggs are not bad in small amounts

eat more fiber in the form of vegetables

eat more legumes

stop eating so much damn meat

never eat fast food or soda

somebody mentioned the diets of europeans. they dont all eat what you get in restaurants, just like we dont all eat red robin every day. they eat regional foods, primarily fresh, and they have a culture about eating so they dont eat too much too often. the big meals are celebratory, not daily.

the breads are made with whole grains, not processed flour that turns directly into sugars.

it may or may not help the OP much with this problem, but lots of diet mentioned here. eating real whole foods is the healthiest way, not this or that diet, just real whole foods.

znfdl
08-04-2017, 09:55 AM
I am arriving late to this discussion. One cannot go by cholesterol numbers alone. I have had high LDL cholesterol since junior high school (LDL>200). I also have abnormally high HDL. My ratio puts me in the safe / healthy zone.

I have tried diet and medication and nothing decreases my LDL. I do have a healthy diet and drink just enough red wine to hopefully make a difference.

Last year I had my major arteries scanned (I am almost 57) and I have a less than a 5% blockage in all major arteries. They did not want to say my arteries were clean.

I would suggest getting some testing done and then enjoy life. Just my $.02

oldpotatoe
08-05-2017, 02:56 PM
I had very severe reactions to statins, even when I resorted to reducing the dosage by cutting the tablets into quarters. Extreme muscle pain, loss of coordination, reduced cognitive abilities...etc. Name the side effect and I had it. I was almost a vegetable. Doctor kept switching brands without improvement.

Looking for relief, eventually I came upon the book "The Great Cholesterol Myth", and have since ditched statins and followed the suggestions presented there.

Take a look at

https://www.praluent.com/what-is-praluent?moc=pluco25009ps&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=2016_G_DTC_Branded&utm_content=Drug%20Information_Praluent_E&utm_term=praluent&gclid=CLGr0OCju9UCFVLkfgodGbsMEw&gclsrc=ds

If you are still high numbered.

jzinckgra
04-29-2022, 08:28 AM
I've been on Crestor, 5mg for 7wks and have noticed higher BPM on my local rides with several strava segments. I realize there are many variables that can effect HR, but when I look at most recent rides compared to last year or a few years back, my avg HR over some segments and same early season time period, is ~8-10 BPM higher. I also feel like my early season conditioning doesn't seem to be improving like it usually does. Interestingly, club rides feel pretty typical, so maybe when I'm solo, I'm more hyperfocused on HR, but the HR monitor doesn't lie and that's how I know something seems off.
There are studies that show VO2 max is reduced in males while on statins, but I'm not sure I'm falling into that category. Legs feel good, although first thing in the morning while still in bed, they are a little sore, but hard to know if that's from riding the day before or the statin starting to cause muscle pain. 2yrs ago I was on a statin and had to stop after 3 months due to leg pain. That was late season, so I never got a chance to really see if it was effecting my HR.

Tommasini53
04-29-2022, 10:29 AM
https://www.amazon.com/Beat-Heart-Attack-Gene-Revolutionary-ebook/dp/B00I8SEWXC/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2HPFKRRMFTFU8&keywords=how+to+beat+the+heart+attack+gene&qid=1651246095&sprefix=how+to+beat+the+hea%2Caps%2C92&sr=8-1

Beat the Heart Attack Gene

Written by a cardiologist...all the new and relevant research. Its an easy weekend read. -ag

deluz
04-29-2022, 10:36 AM
I've been on Crestor, 5mg for 7wks and have noticed higher BPM on my local rides with several strava segments. I realize there are many variables that can effect HR, but when I look at most recent rides compared to last year or a few years back, my avg HR over some segments and same early season time period, is ~8-10 BPM higher. I also feel like my early season conditioning doesn't seem to be improving like it usually does. Interestingly, club rides feel pretty typical, so maybe when I'm solo, I'm more hyperfocused on HR, but the HR monitor doesn't lie and that's how I know something seems off.
There are studies that show VO2 max is reduced in males while on statins, but I'm not sure I'm falling into that category. Legs feel good, although first thing in the morning while still in bed, they are a little sore, but hard to know if that's from riding the day before or the statin starting to cause muscle pain. 2yrs ago I was on a statin and had to stop after 3 months due to leg pain. That was late season, so I never got a chance to really see if it was effecting my HR.

I take Crestor (generic Rosuvastatin) 20 mg per day. I have NOT noticed any side effects.

deluz
04-29-2022, 10:39 AM
https://www.amazon.com/Beat-Heart-Attack-Gene-Revolutionary-ebook/dp/B00I8SEWXC/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2HPFKRRMFTFU8&keywords=how+to+beat+the+heart+attack+gene&qid=1651246095&sprefix=how+to+beat+the+hea%2Caps%2C92&sr=8-1

Beat the Heart Attack Gene

Written by a cardiologist...all the new and relevant research. Its an easy weekend read. -ag

Thanks for the link. Despite eating healthy, exercising and having only moderately high cholesterol. I still had a heart attack that required 4 stents.
I see people here who have much higher cholesterol and no heart disease. There has to be other factors at play. I don't think statins alone are enough for me. I have reduced my consumption meat products substantially. I will definitely get this book.

jzinckgra
04-29-2022, 11:05 AM
I take Crestor (generic Rosuvastatin) 20 mg per day. I have NOT noticed any side effects.

One critical and likely factor I just thought to consider is outdoor temps. It's been a cold (40s) and windy Spring so far compared to last year and that probably is causing elevated HR and greater exertion.

buddybikes
04-29-2022, 01:23 PM
somebody mentioned the diets of europeans. they dont all eat what you get in restaurants, just like we dont all eat red robin every day. they eat regional foods, primarily fresh, and they have a culture about eating so they dont eat too much too often. the big meals are celebratory, not daily.

the breads are made with whole grains, not processed flour that turns directly into sugars.

it may or may not help the OP much with this problem, but lots of diet mentioned here. eating real whole foods is the healthiest way, not this or that diet, just real whole foods.

Perhaps smaller portions but cheese is massively popular as well as crusty white bread. Would love to get to Mediterranean and try that cuisine.

deluz
04-29-2022, 02:02 PM
"whole grains" can be a misleading term.
Sometimes it is mostly refined white flour with some small amount of "whole grain" mixed in. Whole wheat flour that you buy has been stripped of the germ and possibly other components resulting in the removal of nutrients. For that reason I buy whole wheat berries and mill them myself into flour when making sourdough bread.

soulspinner
04-30-2022, 06:13 AM
I have been on "Crestor" for 4 months and Im stiffer than ever in my joints. Not a fan.

oldpotatoe
04-30-2022, 06:30 AM
I have been on "Crestor" for 4 months and Im stiffer than ever in my joints. Not a fan.

Not a doc but isn't that an example of a 'bad' side effect for some on statins?

BTW-I was on Lipitor, now Crestor..no side effects except my total number went down almost 100 points...:)

picstloup
04-30-2022, 06:49 AM

I take something called Liptruzet. it's a combo pill, 40mg of atorvastatin and 10mg of ezetimibe. I'm ok with this one. Keeps the numbers good. Other statins gave me terrible muscle pain in my legs. unbearable pain. And my case/situation is not yours. Everyone reacts different to these meds. I'm on other as well. Duoplavin. A mix of plavix and aspirin.

I've been taking meds since my problems started over 20 years ago. It is a familial thing.

After my 1st stent at 45 i lived/ate like a monk for near 3 years. My cholesterol and other 'bad' numbers remained sky high. I mean scary high.

I did all I could not to take pharmaceuticals. I have no choice. But if changing your diet can get you in a 'normal' zone then do it. I wish I could. Oh, and I can eat three omelets a week and it doesn't change my numbers good or bad. So for me lots of eggs equals bad cholesterol is a myth. But I don't eat red meat. I eat fish. No other animals. I don't eat bacon. I miss bacon. :)

My only comments. Talk to your doctor about trying a new diet first. Talk to your doctor. If you have heart disease in your family get checked out by a cardiologist.

I get a stress test once a year. I get nuclear stress tested if there's anything up, or after a stent is put in. Just a way to take a deeper dive and see what's what. If there's chest pain, with my history, they go in and do an angiogram. Take a close look. Verify.

Good luck Ciavete. Despite all of our well meaning advice, get info direct from experts you trust, from doctors you know.

Lastly, my 46 bpm resting heart rate has freaked out some doctors. They recommended a pacemaker at one point. My cardiologist knows me well after all these years and knows it's normal for me. Try and make sure you are dealing with doctors who understand sport, cycling, and the effects it can have on something like heart rate.

adios amigos

soulspinner
04-30-2022, 07:21 AM
Not a doc but isn't that an example of a 'bad' side effect for some on statins?

BTW-I was on Lipitor, now Crestor..no side effects except my total number went down almost 100 points...:)

Yes and good for you. My doc is on the same dose and he works out with kettle bells. It would hurt me to do that.

jm714
04-30-2022, 09:24 AM
My wife has historically high cholesterol, mom has eleven stents older brothers have them too, she got one at 38. She has tried diet with little effect. She has tried a number of statins. She started seeing a cardiologist down at scrips and he put her on something called Nexlivet. Her total dropped from 309 to 183, which she hasn’t been at for 30+ years, but he was really excited because her particle number went from 2145 to 723.

Ralph
04-30-2022, 11:09 AM
For those who need to treat hi cholesterol and who have problems taking statins, there is a new class of drugs to treat cholesterol that work differently called PCSK9 inhibitors, which don't have the side effects of statins, and there are several. And they will really drive your LDL down. I take Praluent every 2 weeks with an injector pen, which is painless, and my LDL is below 50. Doc likes that after my stent. They cost more, but with my insurance, they will give me the mail order price ($40 for 3 months) if sent to local CVS pharmacy where I pick it up. (needs refridgeration and they won't mail to you)

jzinckgra
04-30-2022, 11:28 AM
Read Malcom Hendricks The Clot Thickens. It's not all about cholesterol.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk