PDA

View Full Version : RIP Croc Hunter

Lifelover
09-04-2006, 07:44 PM
I'm very sad about the death of Steve Irwin. He was a great entertainer and an even better advocate for nature.

Our oldest son love the show and often dressed and talked just like him.

saab2000
09-04-2006, 07:57 PM
Very sad indeed. I enjoyed watching his shows.

Redturbo
09-04-2006, 08:21 PM
He is/was a pop icon of the 00's. My kids were shocked and saddened.

Larry
09-04-2006, 09:20 PM
Steve Irwin was so enthusiastic about his creatures of the wild.
For the longest time, his show was my favorite.
It was a freakish accident......perhaps it simply was his time to leave us.
God bless his family, and may they be strong in this time of tragedy.

Fixed
09-04-2006, 09:57 PM
sad news

he went doing what he loved .

Dekonick
09-04-2006, 10:00 PM
Crikey!

Who would have imagined a ray instead of a spider or snake....

nm87710
09-04-2006, 10:00 PM
sad news

he went doing what he loved .

Hopefully we can all be so fortunate.

Take care and most of all enjoy what you do!

dbrk
09-04-2006, 10:18 PM
As much as I love what I do it's hard to imagine that anyone has ever loved his work more than Steve Irwin did. I mean, the guy's enthusiasm was so freakin'genuine and intense; all the folks who knew him said the same. It is very, very sad for us all because he brought a lot of joy and good into this world, but to leave behind such small children, that's really sad.

The lesson if we must draw one, of course, is that something can happen when we least expect it, one in a million, no? Live wholly, with every last bit of love and also make sure to leave something like a clear path of intentions and provisions behind you if you have dependents. We all know this but _doing_ it is sometimes another thing. I have a dear friend who passed about a year back, you all know him on this Forum, and he did do this right thing because we talked about it. His passing really was made a bit easier on his family because he had a proper will and insurance. I've taken this to heart and there's not all that much in life that ranks higher, no?

Well, bless the Irwins. I wish them all the solace that love and memory can provide.

dbrk

mike p
09-04-2006, 10:18 PM
CROCSTRONG

Mike

inGobwetrust
09-04-2006, 10:52 PM
I'm about to draw some fire here but here goes anyway...............

I'm sorry for Irwin's family and I hope he went without too much pain or distress but I can't say I'm surprised or, to risk sounding callous, saddened. I see the "Croc Hunter" and others like him as incredible hypocrites. Constantly handling dangerous animals while telling others they should never do the same, claiming to have great respect for nature but not acting like it. Frankly I figure it's just a matter of time before this kind of thing happens to all of these quixotic types. I put Irwin and his ilk only a notch above Timothy Treadwell which isn't saying much. Darwinism at it's purest form.

The fact is that wild animals are just that, wild. To intentionally handle them and hold them in front of cameras stresses them and frightens them which certainly triggers their defense mechanisms. Tempting fate like these guys in front of an international television audience is grossly irresponsible and it shouldn't be a surprise anyone that eventually his luck ran out.

I could go on and on but I guess I've made my point. Flame away....

vaxn8r
09-04-2006, 11:04 PM
I'm about to draw some fire here but here goes anyway...............

I'm sorry for Irwin's family and I hope he went without too much pain or distress but I can't say I'm surprised or, to risk sounding callous, saddened. I see the "Croc Hunter" and others like him as incredible hypocrites. Constantly handling dangerous animals while telling others they should never do the same, claiming to have great respect for nature but not acting like it. Frankly I figure it's just a matter of time before this kind of thing happens to all of these types. I put Irwin and his ilk only a notch above Timothy Treadwell which isn't saying much. Darwinism at it's purest form.

The fact is that wild animals are just that, wild. To intentionally handle them and hold them in front of cameras stresses them and frightens them which certainly triggers their defense mechanisms. Tempting fate like these guys in front of an international television audience is grossly irresponsible and it shouldn't be a surprise anyone that eventually his luck ran out.

I could go on and on but I guess I've made my point. Flame away....
At face value I believe you have a point. I think in reality he did a ton to raise awareness about the fragility and beauty of wildlife and at the same time, point out the course we are heading along as we destroy our planet.

Lifelover
09-04-2006, 11:08 PM
... I see the "Croc Hunter" and others like him as incredible hypocrites. Constantly handling dangerous animals while telling others they should never do the same, claiming to have great respect for nature but not acting like it.

Interesting!

Either you or I have a complete misconception as to who he was.

saab2000
09-04-2006, 11:23 PM
Interesting!

Either you or I have a complete misconception as to who he was.

Neither of you understood who he was. Only he did.

Anyone who has had some 'relationship' with a 'wild' animal will understand that. A 'relationship' involves taming that animal. He never did that, but rather understood them. Yes, he died doing that, but not taming them. I am 100% certain that he understood that his lifestyle could be the death of him. And it was.

Nobody is under fire here. He brought the wonders of the natural world into many peoples' lives. That should be enough. Not many have that gift, but he did and should be appreciated for it. To be able to bridge the gap between 'us' and 'them' is huge and he somehow brought some small iota of 'their' world to ours. And we are much smaller than them, IMHO.

inGobwetrust
09-04-2006, 11:24 PM
I spend a lot of time in the woods at my home in a remote corner of NH. We have lot's of wild animals there- black bears, moose, whitetail deer, coyotes, fishers, lynx, bobcats, and many others. I see some of these on a regular basis, some I only see signs of them but I knbow they're out there. I NEVER make any attempt to "make friends" with them. Not because of fear but out of respect for them and their capability to do me severe harm. Getting too close to them and acclimating them to human presence also does them severe harm because no good comes from wild animal and human interaction. I love wildlife and want it to stay that way- wild.

I just feel that people like Irwin claim to have that same love but have a greater love for fame and adulation. He didn't show the healthy respect the wild animals deserve and paid the ultimate price. I'm only afraid that he and some others lead less qualified people (children) to the same dangerous confrontations with animals that are better observed at a distance.

onekgguy
09-04-2006, 11:54 PM
inGobwetrust, I see your point and tend to agree with you. I've only seen snippets of the show but from those glimpses it seemed to me that he was agitating the animals he was working with more than anything else. If the point of his program was to educate us about the animals in their environment I think he could've done that in a more passive way without being such a presence on the show. But as I said, I haven't seen one of his shows in its entirety so I could be wrong and there was another side of him which I'm unaware of.

Kevin

chakatrain
09-05-2006, 12:06 AM
He went out the same way he lived: bravely, fearlessly, perhaps a little recklessly, but with enthusiam and love for the natural world. He seemed to squeeze as much life out of his days as could be had, and for that, I think he lived well.

inGobwetrust
09-05-2006, 12:32 AM
http://blogsimages.skynet.be/images/000/125/461_naamloos7.JPG
He went out the same way he lived: bravely, fearlessly, perhaps a little recklessly, but with enthusiam and love for the natural world. He seemed to squeeze as much life out of his days as could be had, and for that, I think he lived well.

Please don't take offense but I find that to be sooooo idealistic and cliche'.

William
09-05-2006, 05:34 AM
Reportedly he was there to film a show about dangerous creatures of the ocean, but due to weather, was doing some filming for a "softer" piece/show he was doing with his daughter. Rays are usually very docile but apparently felt "boxed in" and lashed out with it's tail and pierced his heart.

RIP Steve.

William

From MSN:

Threats Irwin wasn’t used to

Experts have said the stingray may have felt trapped between the cameraman and the TV star. Irwin, the popular host of “Crocodile Hunter,” rose to fame by getting dangerously close to crocodiles, snakes and other beasts.

But Queensland Police Superintendent Michael Keating said there was no evidence Irwin threatened or intimidated the stingray, a normally placid species that only deploys its poisonous tail spines as a defense.

Stainton said Irwin was in his element in the Outback, but that he and Irwin had talked about the sea posing threats the star wasn’t used to.

“If ever he was going to go, we always said it was going to be the ocean,” Stainton said. “On land he was agile, quick-thinking, quick-moving and the ocean puts another element there that you have no control over.”

JohnS
09-05-2006, 07:21 AM
http://blogsimages.skynet.be/images/000/125/461_naamloos7.JPG

'.
+1 When he started involving his little baby was when he jumped the shark.

Kevan
09-05-2006, 07:22 AM
This accident, not knowing all the details, sounds like it could have happened to any diver who simply got too close. The fact that the barb found Steve's heart sounds like it was a one-in-a-million chance, though Steve's heart was pretty big.

Steve was an entertainer first, and any scientific credential, a behaviorist second. Raised in the bush and on a zoo his handling of creatures would come only naturally. He was a product of his environment. There are many folk just like him that on a regular basis interact with wild creatures, some very dangerous creatures. What set Steve apart was his showmanship, his passion and a camera.

Does this mean we should all try to be like him and run outside and find the nearest rattler and grab it by the tail? I think most of us know better. But having Steve show us the strange and exotics of Austrialia, regardless of how reckless or corny he was, he got people engaged in his program and got the viewer to share in his passion. How the animals often responded to him reinforced in me the "Don't touch!" rule.

Sorry Stevie 'o' boy.

alancw3
09-05-2006, 10:27 AM
i know there are those on this forum that liked steve and those that didn't like him. i don't care which camp you are in! say what you will about steve, i will add my two cents. 1. he was fortunate to live his life and make a living doing what he truely liked and believed in. 2. he died doing that very same thing. i.e. what he loved!!! so how many else of us can say that. 3. yes i liked steve (i know i said two) sometimes you have to do what you have to do to get the message across. like who would watch discovery programs w/o a little showmanship to compete with all the reality shows out there?
rip steve and best wishes to his family!

News Man
09-05-2006, 10:37 AM
+1 When he started involving his little baby was when he jumped the shark.

I liked the guy and so did my kids. We will miss him. Not because of the way he handled dangerous animals, but because he was bigger than life and, I believe, quite genuine.

I have to admit as a father, I was a bit queasy the first time I saw him holding his baby while approaching a crocodile. I thought it had to be publicity seeking behaviour. After all, what was the point? In the end, I don't think its any different than putting your child on the back of a bicycle and riding around town. How many threads have there been on this forum about getting hit by a car? Too many. In the end people have their passion (usually accompanied by confidence to conduct this activity with relative safety) and they want to involve any and all in it, including their children. Our passion is cycling, his was wildlife.

His downfall was an unpredictable action by a stingray, ours may be an unpredictable action by a driver.

Mourn him, don't judge him.

alancw3
09-05-2006, 10:44 AM
I liked the guy and so did my kids. We will miss him. Not because of the way he handled dangerous animals, but because he was bigger than life and, I believe, quite genuine.

I have to admit as a father, I was a bit queasy the first time I saw him holding his baby while approaching a crocodile. I thought it had to be publicity seeking behaviour. After all, what was the point? In the end, I don't think its any different than putting your child on the back of a bicycle and riding around town. How many threads have there been on this forum about getting hit by a car? Too many. In the end people have their passion (usually accompanied by confidence to conduct this activity with relative safety) and they want to involve any and all in it, including their children. Our passion is cycling, his was wildlife.

His downfall was an unpredictable action by a stingray, ours may be an unpredictable action by a driver.

Mourn him, don't judge him.
well put newsman!

crf
09-05-2006, 11:24 AM
He was an interesting, compelling character; but I don't understand agitating animals unless you need to transport them to a safer place. I suppose if you're doing a TV show and need some Nielsen drama, then, yeah, you do need to fcak with fangs, claws, 'n such.

Didn't get the whole baby bait thing...that was just unnecessary (and *really* foolish). I suppose one could carry a baby on a bike and wind up crashing, but that's a little less 'tickling the dragon's tail' than messing with an animal that *will* strike out.

I heard that the Irwins were planning a series starring their single-digit daughter (six or seven years old). I hope she was going to do the show far from the action, sipping JD with Marlon Perkins in the tent.

chrisroph
09-05-2006, 12:03 PM
My thoughts go out to his family. Leaving a wife and two kids behind is a tough tough thing. Life is going to be difficult for those left behind.

It sounds like a very freak accident; swimming with rays is a far safer activity than swimming with salties, giant salt water australian crocs, which I saw the guy do in one show.

RIP.

72gmc
09-05-2006, 12:09 PM
irwin blurred the line between advocacy and sensationalism more often than i liked. that said, he died doing what he loved, rather than wrapping a ferrari full of empty bottles around a pole or some similar waste of life. and he was a knowledgeable participant, rather than a narrator sending big jim in to wrestle the water buffalo/anaconda/crocodile (that aspect of wild kingdom always made me laugh, i hope big jim was making big money).

slowgoing
09-05-2006, 09:12 PM
My son and I spent many happy hours watching Steve Irwin and his wife, and we learned a lot about wildlife in the process. We were very disappointed to learn of his death. Best wishes to his family.

JohnS
09-05-2006, 09:14 PM
Yeah, he made good shows for couch potatoes who live their life vicariously through others.

SamIAm
09-05-2006, 10:01 PM
Yeah, he made good shows for couch potatoes who live their life vicariously through others.

If only everyone could be as utterly fascinating as you. But alas, there is only one John S, such a pity.

gasman
09-05-2006, 10:55 PM
I got to help take care of Steve when he had knee surgery and shoulder surgery. His wife is from Eugene and there are some excellent orthopedic surgeons here.

In real life Steve was just what you saw on television-animated, friendly, excited about life and passionate about preserving wildlife worldwide. There was no B.S. what you saw is what you got.

His father started a small reptile zoo outside Brisbane when Steve was young. Steve grew up handling animals and was passionate from a young age. He knew they were dangerous and respected that the animals were just trying to survive in an increasingly competetive enviroment-mainly with man. He used his abilty to relate on camera to raise money for his zoo and wildlife protection. He lived in an amazingly small modest place on the zoo grounds-most of us live in much nicer digs-trust me.

To those of you who are taking pot shots at him have no clue as to the type of man he was. He made mistakes-taking his infant son around the crocs at such a young age was pretty dumb, but he loved his wife and kids and wanted nothing to happen to them.
I only hope that you can live your life with as much passion, honesty and integrity as he did. I can only try.

inGobwetrust
09-05-2006, 11:27 PM
"To those of you who are taking pot shots at him have no clue as to the type of man he was. He made mistakes-taking his infant son around the crocs at such a young age was pretty dumb, but he loved his wife and kids and wanted nothing to happen to them.
I only hope that you can live your life with as much passion, honesty and integrity as he did. I can only try."

I'm not taking pot shots. I made reasoned arguments. He was probably a great guy like you say but he was also foolish in some ways, atmo. It hurts to lose someone you're fond of, I know. Please don't take my criticism as hate speach. I just feel he was misled and misleading.

gasman
09-05-2006, 11:40 PM
Saying he was misled and misleading sure sounds like a pot shot to me. What you know about him comes only from seeing him on television.

His whole goal was to bring greater understanding and joy about wildlife to the rest of us who will likely never see any of these animals in the wild. Sure the animals were stressed by his handling of them but most animals are stressed just trying to survive in the wild. Over his lifetime he rescued thousands of animals that had come into contact with civilisation and kept the animals from possibly being killed. We never saw most of what he did. He spoke to many people and helped them realize the beauty of animals and nature, especially animals like snakes and crocs that many people fear and would like nothing more than to see them dead. He helped people see that all animals have a place in the world.

May he RIP and his family find solace.

slowgoing
09-05-2006, 11:50 PM
I just feel he was misled and misleading.

How many more times do you feel it's necessary to make the same point in this thread? We get it already.

inGobwetrust
09-06-2006, 12:52 AM
Now that's a pot shot. Fine, I'm done posting on this thread. It seems that some people let their emotions control their reasoning and can't handle hearing opposing views. I made my thoughts known without being rude. I only expect the same in return.

Bye

BumbleBeeDave
09-06-2006, 06:37 AM
. . . never saw his show. Only saw the sensationalized short footage of him with the baby in the croc cage. I remember thinking to myself, "Man, now THAT is a stupid move!"

But I'm sure we've ALL done a few things (in my case, quite a bit more than a few!) where we thought that same thing to ourselves ABOUT ourselves in hindsight. Maybe he did the same.

But I'm not going to judge the guy based on what I saw on TV. I think the important thing here is that he is dead and that his demise came in a most unfortunate way for his family, friends, and fans. I can hardly imagine the shock and pain of his wife, finding out he was dead, totally unexpected, wondering what happened, how she will get there, what will she do, how to tell the children . . . I hope to God she had some loved ones and friends close by.

So he was a showman . . . is that bad? I get the impression that he was up front about it and that he packed a heck of a lot more living into his 44 years than I have so far managed to pack into my 47--and probably more than any of you have packed into yours unless you're secretly Indiana Jones.

Leave the guy alone. Croc Hunter RIP. You've earned it.

BBD

Grant McLean
09-06-2006, 07:04 AM
When people say "he died doing what he loved" it makes me sad.
I love cycling, but I don't want to get killed early in life because I'm doing it.

g

gasman
09-06-2006, 07:53 AM
I love cycling, but I don't want to get killed early in life because I'm doing it.

g

I agree. Nobody wants to be killed doing what they love.

atmo
09-06-2006, 07:54 AM
I agree. Nobody wants to be killed doing what they love.
lance should not be in paris atmo

dbrk
09-06-2006, 08:08 AM
lance should not be in paris atmo

Post of the Day, by a long shot.

dbrk

p.s. We're all gonna go. I'd rather go doing what I love but not too soon, not till the babies are all grown up and the ride up to see the Madonna di Ghisallo looks like the best route...but The Moirai decide that: may Klotho, Atropos, and Lachesis be on _your_ team.

Tom
09-06-2006, 08:34 AM
People already said it in this thread but whatever you thought of the guy, he did show us all animals that were really ugly little bastards and made us maybe think of what beauty there was in them. Most people either grow up surrounded by concrete and plastic and never see that there's a real big world out there or think of animals as nothing more than something to shoot or something that gets in the way of making money. This guy tried in his own weird way to show us another way of looking at things.

sailorboy
09-06-2006, 08:36 AM
I spend a lot of time in the woods at my home in a remote corner of NH. We have lot's of wild animals there- black bears, moose, whitetail deer, coyotes, fishers, lynx, bobcats, and many others. I see some of these on a regular basis, some I only see signs of them but I knbow they're out there. I NEVER make any attempt to "make friends" with them. Not because of fear but out of respect for them and their capability to do me severe harm. Getting too close to them and acclimating them to human presence also does them severe harm because no good comes from wild animal and human interaction. I love wildlife and want it to stay that way- wild.

I just feel that people like Irwin claim to have that same love but have a greater love for fame and adulation. He didn't show the healthy respect the wild animals deserve and paid the ultimate price. I'm only afraid that he and some others lead less qualified people (children) to the same dangerous confrontations with animals that are better observed at a distance.

I kind of agree here. That's why someone smart invented telephoto lenses. That being said, I think I would much rather see an animal doing what it does as naturally as possible rather than being prodded, dragged and flung all over the place in some guy's hands. Naturally, I feel badly for his family, but c'mon, wasn't this destined to happen sooner or later?

catulle
09-06-2006, 08:45 AM
Very sad. May he rest in peace.

Deadly ride...

Climb01742
09-06-2006, 08:50 AM
perhaps it would be helpful to separate his goals and his methods. his goals of introducing people to, and educating them about, wild animals were certainly good. working to preverve endangered and vanishing wildlife is a very good thing.

he was also a showman. on one of the newscasts about his death, someone (jim fowler, i think) said that once there were only 3 animal shows on TV; today there are 29. to stand out, a show, and a showman, has to possibly push things.

what he accomplished is perhaps undeniably good. how he accomplished it sometimes is perhaps more open to debate.

atmo
09-06-2006, 09:01 AM
to stand out, a show, and a showman, has to possibly push things.

what he accomplished is perhaps undeniably good. how he accomplished it sometimes is perhaps more open to debate.
to my way of thinking, it's not much different than following
the tdf or racing in general; we all know about the behind
the scenes machinations, and nearly all the chat sooner
or later touches on the underbelly. at what point are these
29 or so animal shows being watched by folks that are just
waiting for a trainwreck?

it's so sad that he died young and tragically.

J.Greene
09-06-2006, 09:05 AM
it's so sad that he died young and tragically.

and the train will keep chugging because the show must go on.

Bill Bove
09-06-2006, 09:09 AM
It just goes to show you how morally and intelectually confused the Aussies are. If he were a god fearing 'merican we would raise the terror alert to neon red and stop anybody from bringing a sting ray onto an airplane.

I liked the guy, he made laugh and he taught me a few things about animals I'll never see.

atmo
09-06-2006, 09:18 AM
and the train will keep chugging because the show must go on.
the show must go on in style atmo -

William
09-06-2006, 09:26 AM
I remember seeing one of his shows where a Wallaby or smaller Kangaroo (smaller compared to a big red) had dropped into a large storm drain and was just barely keeping it's head above the water. Eventually it would have tired and drown. Steve Irwin was called in and laying on his belly tried to get a hold on the boomers tail. The boomer was fighting him and kicking at him threatening to cut him up in the process. He was able to drag the big guy out....who promptly jumped back in. Irwin dived back down on his belly an managed to haul it back out again by the tail....and off he hopped, dirty, stinky, but very much alive.

People may question his methods, but his heart was in the right place, and millions are now more aware of the animal kingdom then they were previously.

William

PS: Gotta love Marlin Perkins. "My assistant Jim will now wrestle the giant Anaconda in the mud." Then when Jim finally gets the giant snake under control, Marlin comes running out and jumps on it triumphantly. :banana:

~Mutual of Omaha is people, you count on when....oh when you've already got things under control. ~ :rolleyes: :D

catulle
09-06-2006, 09:32 AM
So soon a new show...? The Croc Lady...? She'll be able to float better than the crocs, atmo.

J.Greene
09-06-2006, 10:07 AM
the show must go on in style atmo -

atmo atmo I'm speechless

JG

atmo
09-06-2006, 10:12 AM
atmo atmo I'm speechless

JG
why?
it's not as if she's in adult ed or nuttin' atmo!

BumbleBeeDave
09-06-2006, 10:17 AM
Very sad. May he rest in peace.

Deadly ride...

That one is a manta ray, not a sting ray. Manta's have no stinger and are not as dangerous, but they do get godawful big . . .

BBD

J.Greene
09-06-2006, 10:21 AM
why?

the picture man....I'm speechless.

no that's not adult ed, that's freshman english, and I approve that message.

Grant McLean
09-06-2006, 10:26 AM
why?

I own lacoste shirts older than her. :(

g

SamIAm
09-06-2006, 12:56 PM

g

It seems to me that there are two ways to interpret this.

You could argue that he died young because of what he loved doing.

Or you could argue that he died young because sometimes you die young.

To the first I would argue that road cycling is at least as dangerous as swimming with stingrays.

To the second I would ask, how would you rather die young other than doing what you love?

catulle
09-06-2006, 12:57 PM
I own lacoste shirts older than her. :(

g

Sooooooooo....

goonster
09-06-2006, 12:58 PM
If he were a god fearing 'merican we would raise the terror alert to neon red and stop anybody from bringing a sting ray onto an airplane.

Now that is the post of the week. :D

There were things about Steve's on-screen persona (not his personality, but the way the whole came across) that made me cringe sometimes, but I always had the overwhelming impression that this guy was 100% genuine and that his heart was absolutely in the right place.

He's in the pop culture pantheon of our era. As someone who lost his dad at an early age, my heart goes out to his wife and kids. Steve gave a lot to a lot of people.

goonster
09-06-2006, 01:09 PM
One more thing:

Hopefully nobody is offended, but I think that the whole "at least they died doing what they loved" thing is a cliche that needs to be retired.

I don't think there's any redemption in it at all. I'd rather spend a long life doing what I love, and then die doing something I absolutely hate.

If I die riding PBP next year, that would really suck. If anybody posts to a thread here and says "at least Goonster died doing what he loved" I swear I'll come back from the yonder and post pictures of bikes with really tall stems and late 80's neon speckle paint jobs. ;)

CNY rider
09-06-2006, 01:09 PM
the picture man....I'm speechless.

no that's not adult ed, that's freshman english, and I approve that message.

Yeah but the Croc Hunter somtimes has to swim in COLD water, ya seewadimsayin'?

JohnS
09-06-2006, 02:35 PM
I noticed that the resident Aussies on the board have been noticably quiet. I wonder what they think of all this? IIRC, they weren't too thrilled with how Paul Hogan portrayed Aussies and I wonder what their take of this story is? :confused:

gasman
09-06-2006, 02:37 PM
I noticed that the resident Aussies on the board have been noticably quiet. I wonder what they think of all this? IIRC, they weren't too thrilled with how Paul Hogan portrayed Aussies and I wonder what their take of this story is? :confused:

The Aussies I met in Australia were mixed about him just as we seem to be.

Ozz
09-06-2006, 02:37 PM
...PS: Gotta love Marlin Perkins. "My assistant Jim will now wrestle the giant Anaconda in the mud." Then when Jim finally gets the giant snake under control, Marlin comes running out and jumps on it triumphantly....

Marlin did his share of "snake wrestling" in his younger days....his obituary mentions that he was "one of only a handful of people to survive the bite of a West African Gaboon viper."

Re: Steve Irwin - the tragedy is that a young man died too soon, leaving behind small children who will now grow up without their father.

I saw on the news today that his father turned down the offer of a "state funeral", because that was not what Steve was about.

I've never seen his show.

Bill Bove
09-06-2006, 02:39 PM
I'm not an Aussie and I don't play one on T.V. but I do like Cooper Ale. From what I've seen he was pretty much a national hero, they offered his wife a state funeral for him but she turned them down because she felt he would have thought that it was too much fuss.

obtuse
09-06-2006, 02:41 PM
antagonizing wild animals for fun and profit is something to do i guess. you play with the sting ray you get the horn imho atmo cheers.

obtuse

i don't really get it. jaques cousteau would never have been killed by a stupid fish.

Grant McLean
09-06-2006, 02:46 PM
Sooooooooo....

I guess you are only as old as the woman you feel?

g

catulle
09-06-2006, 02:52 PM
I guess you are only as old as the woman you feel?

g

:D

goonster
09-06-2006, 03:06 PM
The Aussies I met in Australia were mixed about him just as we seem to be.

Steve said in an interview that he was aware that he makes many Australians cringe. He realized that he personified a certain stereotype (reinforced by clothing, mannerisms, "Crikey!" speech, etc.) but he didn't go out of his way to tone it down because that's just who he was.

Culturally, he's something like the Australian equivalent of the 80's Johnny Cash and 90's David Hasselhoff, i.e. often viewed with ironic detachment at home, embraced without reservation elsewhere.

catulle
09-06-2006, 03:18 PM
Culturally, he's something like the Australian equivalent of the 80's Johnny Cash and 90's David Hasselhoff, i.e. often viewed with ironic detachment at home, embraced without reservation elsewhere.

There is an old Spanish saying that poorly translated goes: No one is a prophet in his own land.

sailorboy
09-06-2006, 04:30 PM
Wow, this thread just won't die. One more thought then: I think this issue is a statement to what is happening in general in our society. That is, we just need more and more shock value with everything to get a rise out of it. Our news, our violent and salacious TV shows, movies, video games...the list could go on right? I'm not some moralist against all of it either, just be ready for the consequences of it all. Its just unfortunate that someone had to die in the process, but as atmo said, aren't we just watching and waiting to see this happen on some level? Again I refer you to the Tool song "Vicarious" on this.

Who remembers the show Wild America with Marty Stouffer? Bring that sh#t back and you have all the animal shows you need IMO. Somebody kill this thread please.

atmo
09-06-2006, 04:45 PM
Somebody kill this thread please.
get a bagel atmo -

catulle
09-06-2006, 05:03 PM
Huh...?

atmo
09-06-2006, 05:09 PM
Huh...?
01110100 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01110001 01110101 01101001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01100110 01110101 01101110 01101110 01111001 00101110 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101110 01111001 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100001 01101110 01101011 01110011 00100000 01100110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01100011 01110010 01100001 01100011 01101011 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100000 01110101 01110000 00100000 01100001 01110100 01101101 01101111 00101110

Grant McLean
09-06-2006, 05:23 PM
01110100 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01110001 01110101 01101001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01100110 01110101 01101110 01101110 01111001 00101110 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101110 01111001 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100001 01101110 01101011 01110011 00100000 01100110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01100011 01110010 01100001 01100011 01101011 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100000 01110101 01110000 00100000 01100001 01110100 01101101 01101111 00101110

01101000011001010111100100101100001000000110110001 10000101110011011101000010000001110100011010010110 11010110010100100000011100000110010101101111011100 00011011000110010100100000011001110110111101110100 00100000011100000110100101110011011100110111100100 10000001110111011010000110010101101110001000000111 01110110010100100000011101110110010101101110011101 00001000000110000101101100011011000010000001100010 0110100101101110011000010111001001111001

catulle
09-06-2006, 05:30 PM
01001001 00100000 01110011 01110111 01100101 01100001 01110010 00101100 00100000 01110100 01101000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01110011 01101111 00100000 01101101 01110101 01100011 01101000 00100000 01100010 01100101 01110100 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01010110 00101100 00100000 01100001 01110100 01101101 01101111 00101110 00100000 00100000 01001000 01100101 01101100 01101100 00101100 00100000 01101001 01110100 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01100010 01100101 01110100 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100001 01101110 00100000 01101100 01101001 01110011 01110100 01100101 01101110 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01000010 01100101 01100001 01110100 01101100 01100101 01110011 00101110

BBB
09-06-2006, 05:50 PM
It just goes to show you how morally and intelectually confused the Aussies are. If he were a god fearing 'merican we would raise the terror alert to neon red and stop anybody from bringing a sting ray onto an airplane.

I liked the guy, he made laugh and he taught me a few things about animals I'll never see.

Just to correct you. Australians take their lead from you people. When your President announces a war against stingrays we will be in there quick as a flash holding your hand. :)

Serpico
09-06-2006, 06:28 PM
http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/article/crocodile%20hunter%20death%20to%20be%20broadcast_1 007314

Crocodile Hunter Death To Be Broadcast?

The footage of late Australian naturalist STEVE IRWIN being killed by a stingray could be shown on TV. Charismatic Irwin, dubbed the Crocodile Hunter after his internationally acclaimed TV show, died yesterday (04SEP06) while diving on Australia's Great Barrier Reef. Irwin was filming for a new documentary when he lost his life, and his cameraman shot the moment when the stingray's barbed tail stabbed the legendary conservationist through the heart. The tapes are currently being held by Queensland police - but Irwin's family are determined to respect his last wishes and allow the harrowing footage to be broadcast. Irwin once insisted, "My number one rule is to keep that camera rolling. Even if it's shaky or slightly out of focus, I don't give a rip. "Even if a big old alligator is chewing me up I want to go down and go, 'Crikey!' just before I die. That would be the ultimate for me." An insider tells British newspaper the Daily Star, "This is exactly what Steve would have wanted. He knew the dangers and was totally up for the cameras to get everything." 9/5/2006

/QUOTE

inGobwetrust
09-06-2006, 08:44 PM
"Irwin's family are determined to respect his last wishes and allow the harrowing footage to be broadcast. Irwin once insisted, "My number one rule is to keep that camera rolling. Even if it's shaky or slightly out of focus, I don't give a rip. "Even if a big old alligator is chewing me up I want to go down and go, 'Crikey!' just before I die. That would be the ultimate for me." An insider tells British newspaper the Daily Star, "This is exactly what Steve would have wanted. He knew the dangers and was totally up for the cameras to get everything."

Now that I respect.

atmo
09-06-2006, 09:02 PM
"Irwin's family are determined to respect his last wishes and allow the harrowing footage to be broadcast. Irwin once insisted, "My number one rule is to keep that camera rolling. Even if it's shaky or slightly out of focus, I don't give a rip. "Even if a big old alligator is chewing me up I want to go down and go, 'Crikey!' just before I die. That would be the ultimate for me." An insider tells British newspaper the Daily Star, "This is exactly what Steve would have wanted. He knew the dangers and was totally up for the cameras to get everything."

Now that I respect..

that broadcast would get better ratings than princess diana's funeral atmo.

BumbleBeeDave
09-06-2006, 09:16 PM
Wow, this thread just won't die. One more thought then: I think this issue is a statement to what is happening in general in our society. That is, we just need more and more shock value with everything to get a rise out of it. Our news, our violent and salacious TV shows, movies, video games...the list could go on right? I'm not some moralist against all of it either, just be ready for the consequences of it all. Its just unfortunate that someone had to die in the process, but as atmo said, aren't we just watching and waiting to see this happen on some level? Again I refer you to the Tool song "Vicarious" on this.

Who remembers the show Wild America with Marty Stouffer? Bring that sh#t back and you have all the animal shows you need IMO. Somebody kill this thread please.

Hmmm . . . What an interesting choice . . . While Irwin was certainly flamboyant, I have never heard or seen any accusations the he staged or otherwise faked any of his animal episodes--as Stouffer was accused of doing several years back. I think on the whole I'd choose the flamboyant and outspoken Mr. Irwin over Mr. Stouffer, who apparently turned out to be a dishonest "documentarian."

BBD

atmo
09-06-2006, 09:22 PM
Hmmm . . . What an interesting choice . . . While Irwin was certainly flamboyant, I have never heard or seen any accusations the he staged or otherwise faked any of his animal episodes--as Stouffer was accused of doing several years back. I think on the whole I'd choose the flamboyant and outspoken Mr. Irwin over Mr. Stouffer, who apparently turned out to be a dishonest "documentarian."

BBD
his tv dinners were awesome atmo.

Lifelover
09-06-2006, 10:00 PM
Wow, this thread just won't die....Somebody kill this thread please.

This thread has been dead for quite a while.

Some just can't stop kicking.

catulle
09-06-2006, 10:14 PM

Dead Horse
09-06-2006, 10:37 PM
Stop beating me!

dbrk
09-06-2006, 11:02 PM
I hope my family does what _they_ want when I go and if that's to have no funeral that'd be fine too. I would propose a party, a celebration, and a long laugh. But it will be for them, 'cause I'll be gone, riding with Fausto up towards Ghisallo.

So last night my wife Aimee and I were watching some animal show for a few minutes talking about Steve Irwin and, yes, how we admired him and will miss him and how sad it is, especially that his children won't have his company. Then there appeared a troop of lemurs, all sorts of lemurs, varieties of lemurs and I commented that I thought my wife bore a certain resemblence. Aimee, you see, is petite, has dark hair, dark, large eyes on a very small face...in short, she's lemur-esque in that adorable way, her Kirk HelloKitty bike is 43cm, I mean, a lemur could ride it...but inside, she's fierce and has a wit to match...so I said, "You know, honey, I think you are really a badger in a lemur costume." "Oh yeah," she said, "I think you're really a jackass in a jackass costume." That about settled it.

dbrk

gasman
09-06-2006, 11:39 PM
I hope my family does what _they_ want when I go and if that's to have no funeral that'd be fine too. I would propose a party, a celebration, and a long laugh. But it will be for them, 'cause I'll be gone, riding with Fausto up towards Ghisallo.

So last night my wife Aimee and I were watching some animal show for a few minutes talking about Steve Irwin and, yes, how we admired him and will miss him and how sad it is, especially that his children won't have his company. Then there appeared a troop of lemurs, all sorts of lemurs, varieties of lemurs and I commented that I thought my wife bore a certain resemblence. Aimee, you see, is petite, has dark hair, dark, large eyes on a very small face...in short, she's lemur-esque in that adorable way, her Kirk HelloKitty bike is 43cm, I mean, a lemur could ride it...but inside, she's fierce and has a wit to match...so I said, "You know, honey, I think you are really a badger in a lemur costume." "Oh yeah," she said, "I think you're really a jackass in a jackass costume." That about settled it.

dbrk

Ouch !

BumbleBeeDave
09-07-2006, 06:01 AM
. . . after she throws you out of the house, could I have one of the Curt Goodrich frames? . . . . ;)

BBD