PDA

View Full Version : Biking with a backpack -- good for your back or bad?

ravdg316
08-02-2017, 03:15 PM
Today was a long, muggy 10-mile commute to my office with a backpack with about 10/15 lbs of stuff. It got me thinking -- is biking with a backpack good for building muscle or is doing so actually straining my back?

d_douglas
08-02-2017, 03:18 PM
I do it every day and I am sure it does a bit of both. After a decade of using my trusty Ortlieb messenger backpack, I am coming to terms with the indignity of using panniers ;).

I always thought they looked nerdy, but they're surely better for your back!

ravdg316
08-02-2017, 03:23 PM
Yeah normally I stick with panniers but I have no bikes with rack mounts at the moment. I know that being on a bike in the drops for a long period of time has strengthened my triceps, but it would be nice to know if biking with a backpack for up to two hours a day would be a good replacement for, say, squats at the gym.

Dead Man
08-02-2017, 03:37 PM
Does it hurt your back?

I did long distance bike commuting a few years ago... anywhere from 70-90 miles a day (not every day tho) with 10-20lbs, depending. I never had any back pain, and never even thought about the question... but I'd think if it was really doing anything harmful it would have been uncomfortable.

Back in those days, I read stuff about how luggage should always be on the bike, not the rider.. but I don't remember why. I was riding whatever my current road race bike was, in the belief that it would make my ridicuously long and tortuously boring commute as short as possible... so no rack/pannier compatibility, and had no interest in buying some heavy steel payload bearing bike. I also figured it was just extra training value to have 20lbs extra weight on my glutes y quads for those relatively short but stiff out-of-the-saddle climbs I had on the route.

That's just a sample of one, but I'd say if it's not bothering you, rock on.

instantturtle
08-02-2017, 03:40 PM
I've commuted 15 miles to/from work and the only issue I've faced is a sweaty back. That said, my bag is maybe 5 lbs. (laptop and change of clothes).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigsledog
08-02-2017, 04:37 PM
bad for keeping your back dry (of sweat)

IFRider
08-02-2017, 04:58 PM
Ride regularly with a hydration pack mountain biking. Works well as I need to toss the bike around on the trail. Commuting, used a Vaude pack with a suspension that kept the bag off my back that worked well. Regular packs were to sweaty. Ultimately, switch to panniers for commute and much happier. First on rear but I found two small on lowriders worked best. Laptop on one side with work stuff and clothing on other side. Weight down low felt best. I found being able to move around easier and less weight on my saddle was all good.

Mr. Pink
08-02-2017, 05:09 PM
10-15 is too much. Lighten it up. And, messenger bags are a serious issue, they sit diagonally over the body, which is bad. Always ride with a small, low load symmetric backpack, if you must. I have an older Vaude that sits off the back slightly for venting, and isn't too big in capacity. The bigger, the more you will be tempted to carry.

ravdg316
08-02-2017, 06:52 PM
That said, I guess there are only stories of people not enjoying carrying stuff on their backs, and no stories of "Wow I biked with a backpack and now I'm super ripped."

tuscanyswe
08-02-2017, 06:59 PM
I carry this huge backpack for hours most days. Not a problem even when full with heavy loads.

Having a bad fitting backpack will however make my back ache very fast. I cant use a courier type bag that only uses one shoulder, i get issues allrdy within a couple of days. Also there are good and bad backpacks but that are also good and poor fitting backpacks for your body type. You want the load in the right places, similar to bike fit i guess.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4208/34582179344_b932a5d806_b.jpg

Iansir
08-02-2017, 07:45 PM
Switched to panniers and my back pain issues went away

Picked up a tailfin with pannier bag and am quite pleased for pumping out some rides before/after work when combined with my commute for some extra miles.

veggieburger
08-02-2017, 07:52 PM
I have a compression Marmot pack that I use for commuting. I like it because I can attach lots of lights to the outside...plus I keep the straps long intentionally. They wave and flap around behind me, which I hope draws attention to drivers.

No idea if it hurts my back. Never sore, but always very sweaty.

mtechnica
08-02-2017, 07:55 PM
If you have a good backpack like an ortlieb, that has a waist strap, that will make a big difference. IME riding with a backpack doesn't hurt my back and I've ridden a ton of miles with a backpack... YMMV of course.

mktng
08-02-2017, 08:09 PM
What kinda of bike is your daily commuter?
I set up a fixed/fender bike out of an old Marinoni.
Ride 26ish km's each way to work. Used to carry a big Chrome Kirov.
Recently installed a front porteur rack. Big bag straps down easily. Carrying more than I could before really.

Commuting doesnt feel like commuting anymore. Alot more enjoyable.

You should look into one.

Soma Porteur rack if youre looking for something, but dont have rack mounts

Louis
08-02-2017, 08:18 PM
The Swiss Army says it's no problem at all!

http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/1940s/bikes-1900s/1943-cosmos-mo-05-ww2-swiss-army-bicycle/

http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/1943-swiss-army-bike.jpg

mgordon
08-02-2017, 09:35 PM
I ride with my 25lbs dog in my backpack sometimes, and after 20 minutes or so, my back tells me it is unhappy.

FetchPro
08-03-2017, 06:20 PM
Tuscanyswe and mktng both made resonant points for me. I worked on my bike for many years with hommade messenger bags, messenger backpacks and a porteur rack.

Depending on where you're comfortable carrying your weight and the terrain/topography of your commute I can agree that having a backpack that fits, isn't super heavy right off the bat or at least feels light when you put it on can make all the difference. If your discomfort is caused by the bag being directly laying on your back, check int Skin Grows Back bags, they have a mesh liner system akin but more complicated than the Ortliebs that keep you comfortable, I've never owned one, but I've borrowed one, definitely one of the most comfortable bags I've ever used. If you can find an older Freight baggage backpack, I loved mine and miss it terribly.

The other solution of getting a porteur rack, kind of changed my life. After about twelve years of humping copy boxes and other weight on my back across major cities, I decided to invest in one and the ease with which the rack took all weight off of me changed my riding experience incredibly. Bear in mind, whatever weight you do carry is just transferred from behind you to in front of you, making it a little different when climbing hills, pushing it up the hill rather than dragging it on your shoulders, but though I don't work on the bike anymore, I still use the porteur rack whenever possible simply because I love having all my junk on me and not wearing a bag. You'll still need a bag to attach to the rack, and there are many different companies that make them including Velo Orange, Swift Industries and Ocean Air Cycles, all nice options.

In the end, I do both, and I like them equally as much, best just to go to a bike shop that sells a good variety of backpacks meant for riding and try them all on to see if you like any of them and bring all your stuff with you, so that if you find one that you love, you can try it with the weight you'll actually be carrying in it.

Best of luck.

Anarchist
08-03-2017, 06:49 PM
I do it every day and I am sure it does a bit of both. After a decade of using my trusty Ortlieb messenger backpack, I am coming to terms with the indignity of using panniers ;).

I always thought they looked nerdy, but they're surely better for your back!

I recently bought the Two Wheel Gear panniers. A garment bag in a pannier. Only thing I am wondering is what the hell took me so long?

Now i have to get rid of a bunch of messenger bags and backpacks. Never going there again.

Nooch
08-04-2017, 12:13 PM
Tuscanyswe and mktng both made resonant points for me. I worked on my bike for many years with hommade messenger bags, messenger backpacks and a porteur rack.

Depending on where you're comfortable carrying your weight and the terrain/topography of your commute I can agree that having a backpack that fits, isn't super heavy right off the bat or at least feels light when you put it on can make all the difference. If your discomfort is caused by the bag being directly laying on your back, check int Skin Grows Back bags, they have a mesh liner system akin but more complicated than the Ortliebs that keep you comfortable, I've never owned one, but I've borrowed one, definitely one of the most comfortable bags I've ever used. If you can find an older Freight baggage backpack, I loved mine and miss it terribly.

The other solution of getting a porteur rack, kind of changed my life. After about twelve years of humping copy boxes and other weight on my back across major cities, I decided to invest in one and the ease with which the rack took all weight off of me changed my riding experience incredibly. Bear in mind, whatever weight you do carry is just transferred from behind you to in front of you, making it a little different when climbing hills, pushing it up the hill rather than dragging it on your shoulders, but though I don't work on the bike anymore, I still use the porteur rack whenever possible simply because I love having all my junk on me and not wearing a bag. You'll still need a bag to attach to the rack, and there are many different companies that make them including Velo Orange, Swift Industries and Ocean Air Cycles, all nice options.

In the end, I do both, and I like them equally as much, best just to go to a bike shop that sells a good variety of backpacks meant for riding and try them all on to see if you like any of them and bring all your stuff with you, so that if you find one that you love, you can try it with the weight you'll actually be carrying in it.

Best of luck.

Just started looking into the SkinGrowsBack bags -- they look nice, and *bright*, but oddly no waist straps?

Am I the only one who appreciates both waist and chest straps?

kevinvc
08-04-2017, 12:27 PM
I can't stand riding with anything on my back. I've tried different types of backpacks and none work for me. It's not a soreness issue, I just hate the heat and sweat. I get heat rash from the front of my shoulders all down my back if I use one for very long regardless of if I'm biking, hiking, or just strolling around town. No problems with panniers, even in cross winds.

I also know other bike commuters who ride with absolutely enormous packs, including the completely non-breathable Sealskin types, that have no problems. To each their own.

93KgBike
08-05-2017, 11:50 PM
Backpacks are great in the snow and ice, but sweaty as hell when the weather is nice. Ergon (http://www.treefortbikes.com/product/333222342198/400/Ergon-BD-1-Large-Mens.html) packs, too.