PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fork Opinions

nmrt
08-02-2017, 01:03 PM
So fellas,
Despite owning an absolutely fantastic Seven Axiom SLX, I have been salivating for the past three years towards the modern interpretation of Ti bikes -- Oversized HT, oversize downtubes etc. So, last week I broke down and bought a used Desalvo that has O/S tubes. I am itching now to ride this bike after it gets delivered to me. But here is the question:
What carbon fork to put on the bike for a comfortable ride?
My options:
1) Enve 2.0
2) Parlee fork (expensive)
3) Ritchey carbon fork
4) THM fork (way too expensive)
5) Lynskey carbon fork
6) Seven carbon fork (I had this fork in my seven but I would get high speed wobble. I changed the fork to an Enve 1.0 and now love that fork. Too bad Enve does not make a 1.0 currently or else I would have bought it for my Desalvo).

Am I missing any other manufacturers that are currently making new carbon forks? So what is your opinion on how the above mentioned forks ride? I am looking for a fork that is lightweight and has a comfortable ride and tracks well.
Thanks!

ripvanrando
08-02-2017, 01:13 PM
You missed Wound Up.

I replaced 2.0 Enve with a Wound up. More comfortable. Has eyelets and more brake bridge clearance.

Ken Robb
08-02-2017, 02:10 PM
are OS tubes what one wants for a comfortable ride?

pncguy
08-02-2017, 02:47 PM
The frame probably won't accept tires that are huge, and the rear brake mount probably isn't built for it, but Whisky makes a fork made for long reach brakes. I have one on my Strong and have no complaints.

sparky33
08-02-2017, 02:50 PM
The new Moots tapered road (https://moots.myshopify.com/collections/forks/products/moots-tapered-road-fork?variant=9846762373)fork is great. It looks and rides great on my Vamoots CR with a oversized headtube. It has more tire clearance (~30) than the old Moots fork too. Stealthy black makes it good for a non-Moots.

The Parlee road fork is incredibly nice too. Also has more tire clearance than the ubiquitous Enve fork.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170802/1f85e592ccd6dddb792033e23abb1ceb.jpg

nmrt
08-02-2017, 03:46 PM
all things being equal, i would venture that non o/s tubes are more comfortable.
but i would not say that o/s are not comfortable. they may be more stiff without losing a lot of comfort in such a way that certain riders might might that desirable.
:beer:
are OS tubes what one wants for a comfortable ride?

nmrt
08-02-2017, 03:52 PM
BTW, if anyone has a Parlee fork or a Moots fork in a 43 rake they want to sell, I would be interested.

Ken Robb
08-02-2017, 04:07 PM
all things being equal, i would venture that non o/s tubes are more comfortable.
but i would not say that o/s are not comfortable. they may be more stiff without losing a lot of comfort in such a way that certain riders might might that desirable.
:beer:

I raised the question because I think it's best to match a frame with a fork designed to complement it. Maybe the guys who built the frame would tell you which fork would be most likely to give you the ride you want?

nmrt
08-02-2017, 06:08 PM
Thats a great idea. I will be in touch with Mike Desalvo about the fork he recommends.
Thanks!

I raised the question because I think it's best to match a frame with a fork designed to complement it. Maybe the guys who built the frame would tell you which fork would be most likely to give you the ride you want?

tv_vt
08-02-2017, 08:37 PM
I would go with a Seven 5e fork, actually. After my Enve 2.0 carbon fork tip cracked, I'm phasing them out in favor of the Seven fork with metal dropouts.
Wonder if your high speed wobble was either wrong fork rake or related to something other than the fork.

PNW
08-02-2017, 08:45 PM
Really digging the looks of the Columbus carbon forks. Carl Strong is a huge fan of them plus they are super clean as well!

Hilltopperny
08-02-2017, 08:52 PM
I have the enve 2.0 on my Praemio R and really enjoy it, but not sure you can go wrong with most of the modern carbon forks you mentioned.